Tack color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFS_Simon_Says

Reaction score
I'm finally going to have my 4 year old ready for showing, but I don't know what color pads/blankets/halters would match up best with Spirit's coat color, Simon's coat color and when I start to drive them in a team what color's would go best with both? Spirit is the silver dapple and Simon is the palomino.

Nolan726.jpg

Nolan584-1.jpg

july22030.jpg

july22024.jpg

JoeNixon008.jpg

I used to pick a color for each horse until I decided that all mine like purple the best. That's what we have for barn halters, slinkies, coolers, sheets, blankets, buckets, totes, tack bags, etc... I even have a Houghton show cart that is deep plum w/ a lavendar stripe :bgrin

Seriously, though, it would look good on your guys, too
default_smile.png
default_yes.gif
:
default_wink.png
:

Haha, yes we use purple on almost everything too.
default_wub.png
: But as far as harnesses go, you can't go wrong with black.

Oh I'm definitly going with black for my harnesses, but for my slinkies, blankets, halters, pads ect I don't know what color to use for them.

Another color that would look really nice on both of them, and is easy to find in all kinds of miniature horse items, is burgundy. That is a color that looks good on nearly any color in my opinion.

With the color of your two I think most any color would look good on them. Helpful, no? :bgrin I did find this and hopefully it will give you more of an idea than I.

"In general, horses are either "redheads" (sorrel, chestnut, red roan, rose gray, dun- horses with red hair) which look especially nice with softer earth-tone shades of sand, rust, brown, peach, and most any green tone, or "brunettes" (bay, black, white, most grays- horses with brown, black, or white hair) which can wear bright jewel-tone colors like red, blue, purple and also the greens well. "Neutral" color group horses include palominos, buckskins, and grullas who can use either the earth-tone or jewel-tone accents, depending on the rider's preferences, horse's coat color, and the horse's markings.

Some horses including Appaloosas, Pintos, and Paints are a little harder to classify. If your horse has more than 50% body white, consider the brunette/jewel-tone colors to contrast with your horse's white coat and avoid a dreary "sand chaps on almost white horse" combination. If your colorful horse has less than 50% body white, use his primary coat color as the determining factor: for example a minimal white sorrel overo Paint would probably look best in the redhead/earth-tone colors.

If you ride several horses, or aren't sure what color horse you may be showing, consider the versatile blue/green color range. From the palest mint to the deepest forest green, these colors look great on almost any horse color, and also carry well from a distance in the show ring. Picture a beautiful teal green shirt with a matching saddle blanket on a sorrel horse and a bay - it's a winning picture either way." -Suzanne Drnec

I would vote for turquoise (a darker shade), navy blue or teal.

These colors look great on horses in your color range at this point, and they look great on almost every horse.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

I have my 2 horses things in alil big of everything right now but I am in the process of changing everything over to red and black...My horses are grey and a grey pinto. But right now I have hunter green, navys and even alil purple. LOL...So I am undecided in a sense too....

Wow... now my horses don't have there own color after 11+ years in minis I learned for me to make it simple we have halters sized by color with the exception of a couple special halters picked by raven.. all the meds are red, large blue and x-large purple

blankets are pretty much the same way that way i can glance and grab what I need

WOW..I have officially appointed Lexie the forum fashion consultant after sharing that info. I was thinking about what to say when I read her post and she covered it all and I learned something myself.

If you are just getting started and don't have a "farm name" yet you will want to come up with one (because everyone will ask until you do) and to go with it, your "official farm colors" which would be the color theme you are thinking of. I like the burgundy best as a suggestion for your horses which is in the purple family, I guess, but it is easier to match shades and is darker and hides dirt better.

I usually try to buy things in hunter green, black or cream for our horses or "farm" but for some reason I always seem to end up with stuff in random colors because I will buy just about any color or print if the price is right and it is what we need and is the right size. Could be why one horse has a purple blanket and another glows in the dark and yet another is wearing a neon green halter. I also like leopard prints so I have that added in to my collection with some stuff.

I call my style and color choices "Eclectic" and "Unique" to make myself feel better about it. :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back