sweetys offical foaling thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I lived closer, I would be there in a heartbeat. I am trained in working on horses using the John Barnes Myofascial Release method. It is phenomenal! I have worked on horses that could barely move at the beginning and then did SO well with treatments and are now running and bucking and playing! I have seen some miracles when the horses are treated, that is for sure! PM me if you want contact info for someone in your country
default_smile.png

Hugs and blessings-

The luxation of the patella is one thing that often happens with minis, as we all know, but personally, I have never heard of the actual stifle joint being dislocated at birth, so that is why I asked Jenny whether the vet had meant the stifle joint itself or simply the patella being 'unattached'.
Jenny does deserve to have the correct info, so I will reply to this. There is actually nothing "common" about luxation of the patella, not in any breed of horse and not in Minis. Luxation of the patella is actually quite rare, but it can happen due to trauma. You are thinking of upward fixation of the patella, where the stifle actually locks--that is the condition that is so common in Miniatures, but that is something different. Luxation is dislocation--the patella is actually displaced.
It was Corinne at Meadowridge who had the foal with both stifles dislocated at birth--the foal's name was Windy. As I recall, in Windy's case the stifle joint was not properly formed--which is why the patella was displaced (actually both were) and would not stay when the vet tried to pop it back in. I still don't remember the name of the person in Ontario--I don't think that person is on the forum any more (nor is Corinne as far as I know)

Since little Beau is able to be up and can walk around, hopefully he can be comfortable as he is--it seems possible..

Oh so sorry to hear your little boy and I really hope he will be ok. He is just a gorgeous boy

default_saludando.gif
hi the vet told me that it is luxation of the patella and from what ive read about it surgery is the only option

iam so stress about it i cant eat and just dont want to do any thing like house work ect iam a mess
default_no.gif
i no iam be silly

but thanks everyone for giving me advice it really is helping

oh Jenny
default_sad.png
how sad for you
default_no.gif

can you get a second opinion?? I know I would... just to make sure, especially if you knew you couldn't afford the surgery...

I'd hate for you to have to do anything... you know... sad for Beau
default_bye-sad.gif
and you...

hang in there my friend! we are here, supporting you through this!!

Forgive me Minimor - put it down to my very old age and a very stressful life right now. You are of course quite correct, luxation is disloction and, as I understand it, is more common in dogs! It is the upward fixation that can be found in minis for a great many reasons, but not usually in foals?

Jenny, I wish you luck at the vets, but I do wish you had given him a little more time - but you are the one who is seeing him move around and must decide what you think is best for him, we are just going by pictures and how you are trying to explain it to us.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes as soon as you get back. ((((HUGS))))

default_saludando.gif
i thought had already posted this i must of put in saffires thread

ive desided to not take him to the vet iam going to keep with the same vet as he is the best equine vet in perth

he should be ringing me tomorow......

I'm so glad Jenny. It sounds as though you have a really good vet already, so best stick with him/her. is this the vet who said give him 4 weeks or so before you 'evaluate' again?

As you are not going to plan for surgery, even if it proves to be necessary, and I'm never in favour of surgery and all that goes with it on such a young foal, unless it is a life threatening situation. So lets wait and see what your present vet says when you speak to him.
default_yes.gif

((((HUGS))) to you, Sweety and the gorgeous Beau.
default_wub.png

I think you are doing the right thing by waiting it out, and seeing what time and strength does for your darling boy. I am sorry this is stressing you so badly, i wish i was closer so i could give you a big hug
default_no.gif
Breeding sure can be stressful and heartbreaking, but the good does outweigh the bad in the end.

I do hope your little boy has a happy outcome, and you start to see improvement as time passes.
default_yes.gif

I too am still praying for a happy outcome. Hang in there, we are all here for you.

Hugs Renee

default_saludando.gif
thank you thank you,,,,, you all mean so much to me i do wish you all lived closer

this is such a hard and heart breaking decision...iam a complete mess

i will wait to hear from the vet ..iam hoping and praying that it will be good news but i dont think it will

thanks jenny

Best wishes for you and yours
wub.gif
Praying for your little man!

default_saludando.gif
hi all well little beau doesnt seem to be limping as much and it doesnt look as swollen

man iam praying lots but from what ive read its wishful thinking

has anyone done any research on it

Yes, I have and it seems very rare. It is hard to find any info on a foal with this condition. We will all just keep praying and wait and see. ((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))

OK, now I'm going to be very silly here - opening this out to sensible discussion to.
default_yes.gif

Not being absolutely sure how the actual stifle joint works or what is 'needed' to keep it working properly, but if it is the same as our knee joint, then I do know that humans have had their kneecaps removed (although I think it is reasonably rare) and not replaced??

If little Beau has a dislocated patella, then would it not be possible, once he is a bit older and up to an op, to simply remove it? Does he actually NEED a patella to live a happy life as a pet or even doing other things if it were possible?? We need some medical knowledge here my friends - does anyone have any?

I expect the joint is a bit swollen Jenny after the vet was moving it around while trying to find to find out what was wrong in the first place.

Still saying prayers for little Beau and for Sweety too. Huge ((((HUGS)))) for you - hang in there Jenny there is always hope and we are all right there with you hoping and praying for a happy outcome.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
default_saludando.gif
thanks guys it is a fluxation of the patella which is the kneecap of the stifle

and i was talking to a vet and he reackons it very comin in miniatures and small breed dogs

does any one think maybe his tendons are to tight and are not holding it in place

i dont no just hoping

OK, now I'm going to be very silly here - opening this out to sensible discussion to.
default_yes.gif

Not being absolutely sure how the actual stifle joint works or what is 'needed' to keep it working properly, but if it is the same as our knee joint, then I do know that humans have had their kneecaps removed (although I think it is reasonably rare) and not replaced??

If little Beau has a dislocated patella, then would it not be possible, once he is a bit older and up to an op, to simply remove it? Does he actually NEED a patella to live a happy life as a pet or even doing other things if it were possible?? We need some medical knowledge here my friends - does anyone have any?

I expect the joint is a bit swollen Jenny after the vet was moving it around while trying to find to find out what was wrong in the first place.

Still saying prayers for little Beau and for Sweety too. Huge ((((HUGS)))) for you - hang in there Jenny there is always hope and we are all right there with you hoping and praying for a happy outcome.
default_yes.gif
default_saludando.gif
OH a HUGE big HUG back at you
default_wub.png

Good point Anna, my vet will be back on Monday so I will talk to him about it.

Any chance of some new pics of mum Sweety and lil Beau?
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back