Super Gelding Program

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, I applaud any and all efforts that will encourage people to geld their stallions/colts and to get out there and DO things with ANY of their minis. I am not sure I fully understand the Super Gelding program, but it sounds like only ONE gelding in each registry division in halter and performance with the MOST points will get anything?? So at this point in 2011, I am not sure why anyone would want to enter unless they already knew that they had a slew of points.

I would be more in favor of a program such as Pinto is running for the first time this year, where you enter like you would a futurity (by certain deadlines and price went up) and then you are rewarded with a certain monetary amount for EACH POINT you earned at nationally pointed shows during the year. Your could do all your showing at local shows. Since this is the first year, the registry kicked in $10,000 to get it going and of course it covers all size pintos. We didn't enter because we have such bad luck, and indeed Princess was sick at one show and we weren't able to compete. And of course I have no idea how it is going to come out. In the case of Pinto, you are rewarded for the more classes (and shows) you enter, so versatility rules.

And from Karen's comments I need to find out more about the Amateur Companion/Excellence Program. I have the information and am wondering if I can put down the things I did this year that I don't have signatures for?? But that I can somehow show I participated in??

I finally have an awesome colt that will be gelded in the spring and used for this program so I hope it continues! I like the way that it is set up-i am one of those up north where the show season lasts just a couple of months. There are only 3-4 shows I don't have to drive 8+ hours to get to so "10 best" is perfect.

You are correct one gelding in each division plus the supreme geldings.

Eventually we could have more placings but only if more nominations come in consistently!

Since this is the first year, the registry kicked in $10,000 to get it going and of course it covers all size pintos.
You know I would love that! But I know that isn't going to happen at least not right now. Currently this program uses ZERO registry funds. If we had to have registry funds to get this going there would be no super gelding program.

I am still under pressure to get entries so we can keep this program even though we are not using registry funds.

It takes a bit to get new programs going and get people involved. This is only the 2nd year. We hope to keep tweaking it as we go. I am all ears if anyone has suggestions!

Our hope is to eventually put a cut off date for nominations but until we get this going better a cut off date is not viable.

This program is to entice more people to geld and show! Most we talked to when we first started wanted money payouts so that is what we went with.

The trophies and platters for last years winners (this is in addition to the prize money) were donated and paid for by committee members--Thank you Leah and Lewlla. Again it is very hard to get people to donate when they cannot take a tax deduction. Otherwise I could for sure get some nice donations from business's.

Hi Targetsmom:

Your comment:

And from Karen's comments I need to find out more about the Amateur Companion/Excellence Program. I have the information and am wondering if I can put down the things I did this year that I don't have signatures for?? But that I can somehow show I participated in?? [/b

Yes, you sure can. If you even had a flyer showing a parade or write up about something you participated in will work. You can even attach a note explaining what you did. Again, we want participation and Janice will call me if she has any questions on any thing that our amateurs are doing that might be a bit different.

Karen

Thanks Karen.. I just printed out the info, will get my Ammy card for 2011 and submit. I think BOTH these programs are great ways of promoting minis.

Karen S said:
Yes, you sure can. If you even had a flyer showing a parade or write up about something you participated in will work. You can even attach a note explaining what you did. Again, we want participation and Janice will call me if she has any questions on any thing that our amateurs are doing that might be a bit different.
Karen
Really?? That makes me much more interested! I had both my boys out doing quite a lot of off-the-books events this year from the TREC at Happ's to using them as demo horses at clinics to competing in a driving trial this fall and would love to be able to go back and submit those things. How far back can we do that for the lifetime achievement awards? I still have all the programs that show our names, copies of our entries, pictures of us there, etc. for quite a few years worth of stuff nevermind this spring.

Leia

Speaking just for myself, it isn't worth it to me to enter the super gelding program because I just don't go to enough shows to ever have a hope of winning. Perhaps there are those who would enter anyway, just to support the program, but I don't have money to spare for that.

I showed 2 geldings this year; 1 went to 2 shows, the other to just one show. At the first show for the one, he had no competition. So, in terms of the number of horses beat--he didn't do so well. If I entered both geldings, that would be $40 spent--and if I'm going to spend $40 just for the sake of supporting something I just as well put it toward entering extra classes at the local shows. When there isn't a lot of money to spend I have to pick and choose where to best spend it.

I'm all for supporting geldings (goodness knows I have enough of them!!) but prefer to put my entry $$$ into something I actually have a chance at.

I thought it was a payout program for more than just the #1 placing horse. At this point, I wouldn't be interested because I know what my gelding has done. I would be more interested in joining it next year if it paid down to, say, the top 10, instead of just one.

I see that the ASPR just got $4,000 from the Registry. Why couldn't this program, which encompasses all of the registered equines, get some $$$ too?

We definitely need to get more interest in geldings, especially in the miniatures. Having a program where there could be some money won back would be a huge help towards this goal.

I'd like to see this program be continued and expanded to include more payouts and prizes.

I too, didnt realize it only paid out for the #1 placing. Thats a big bummer, because my area has a short show season, and I sometimes only hit 2-3 shows a year. I would even gladly pay an extra $5 per horse to nominate if it would help in the long run. $5 from one person isnt much, but from a large group of people, it could add up.

I'll have three geldings out showing next year, and really hope the program is still around then.

I see that the ASPR just got $4,000 from the Registry. Why couldn't this program, which encompasses all of the registered equines, get some $$$ too?
That $4000 is not coming from "our" registry--that money is being offered by the AHHF (Hackney Foundation) and is only available to those ASPR ponies who are also registered Hackney

I thought it was a payout program for more than just the #1 placing horse. At this point, I wouldn't be interested because I know what my gelding has done. I would be more interested in joining it next year if it paid down to, say, the top 10, instead of just one.

I would love to do that but again to make that possible we have to have more entries. Otherwise the payout is so watered down that the placings would hardly pay out anything.

Last year we had 64 entered. This year we are not hitting that number and our hope was to go over that number.

Everything has to start somewhere!

Hi Leia,

Go ahead and fill out the forms with all of your dates and what you've done. You just might be suprised at receiveing a box full of awards.

Karen

Hi Leia,

You mentioned HAPPS in one of your last comments on this thread. Did you go to HAPPS in September (16-18)? I was the guest of Diane Zmolek (new Area 8 director) and flew out and participated in my very first CDE event. Drove a nice little black and white "B" miniature mare that belong to a gal name Ann. She called the mare "Peppy". Had a blast until the cart of which I was in broke a wheel and fell off on my last hazard before I was to cross the water hazard and head home. Everyone was looking for me to drive in, but instead I had to line drive "Peppy" across the foot bridge back to the finish line. Needless to say I earned the WOW-E award that day.

Karen

Back