Super Gelding Program

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaykay

Reaction score
To keep this program going we need your nominations! You can still nominate your gelding for this year.

I really do not want to lose this program~!

Our hope is that once we get numbers up to have a cut off date but for now we are still accepting nominations!

Super Gelding Info

FOR ELIGIBLE HALTER CLASSES: All open, amateur, youth and PMC classes in halter, champion halter classes, grand champion halter classes, color and model halter class. Group halter classes like get of sire, produce of dam, herd of four, etc. do not count.

ELIGIBLE PERFORMANCE CLASSES: All open, amateur, youth and PMC classes including all under saddle classes, driving classes, hunter in hand, jumper in hand, obstacle in hand, liberty, showmanship, costume, modern roadster in hand, versatility driving and obstacle driving. Team driving and non rated classes do not count.

Kay, I would hate to see this program go. My gelding was out with a trainer this year, and while I know what he placed, im not sure which judges it was under at each show. Im in touch with my trainer to see if they might have it.

Im not sure if it would help the program at all, I have another horse that I plan to have gelded within a few weeks, would it be worth gelding him and nominating him? I know he wouldnt qualify for any awards as he was shown as a stallion all year, but thought it may at least show that there is interest. I will also pass the word around to a few friends who have geldings.

I just bought a new 2011 colt specifically to geld and us in this program next year ~ I hope we don't lose it either!

I may try for the performance this year - Worth a try
default_smile.png
. To "win" does your gelding have to have the most points? Or most wins? Or ? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im with Des, I bought a stallion to geld and show as a gelding and nominate for next season. I hadnt nominated my other gelding this year because he was out being shown with a trainer, and Its hard to track everything the program requires If your not showing your horse yourself

I'm still a 'newbie' to all the AMHR/ASPC programs. Can you give a brief synopsis of the program? Are these nominations due for 2011 or 2012? Do we keep track of points or does someone else? I just bought a gelding at the end of the 2011 Nationals, so what which year would I nominate him for? Can his previous owner nominate him for 2011?

Sorry for all the questions - I didn't see where the details were on the website.

Yes you can still nominate for 2011! Hopefully once this program gets going better we will have a closing date for nominations. But since we are struggling a bit we are still letting people nominate now for this year.

Once you send in your nomination your total points have to be turned in by Dec 1, 2011.

Use your top 10 judges/placings. The limit is 10 to make the playing ground more fair to those that live in colder climates and cant show all year.

You can have different judges for halter verses performance.

For all the details and info on the supreme gelding go here. I would put it here but its a ton of info
default_smile.png

Supreme Gelding etc

Go geldings!!!

Oh and also on the question of ownership etc

14. A gelding continues to be eligible for the super gelding program in the year nominated even if he changes ownership.

15. Registration papers must reflect gelding status before any points will be counted (example: you cannot count points earned in March as a stallion when pony/horse was gelded in April).

16. Gelding can be shown by anyone (not limited to owner or owner’s family). Geldings shown by youth need to list youth’s name on points tabulation form.

17. You must be a ASPC/AMHR/ASPR member to participate in this program.

I don't mean to throw cold water on this but it seems to me that those in the warmer climate have an advantage in this program. The show season is so short in the north that you'd have to have a really super horse to win with as few shows as we have.

First of all, thanks to Kay for bringing up this timely reminder about a great program! I'm glad there is a program like this that doesn't require a gelding to have been nominated since birth and hope it will be continued. I want to enroll my boys next year when they're both showing performance full-time. (I only made it to one R show with one horse this year and got second of two under all three judges in our two classes so it didn't really seem worth it for 2011.
default_rolleyes.gif
)

kaykay said:
Use your top 10 judges/placings. The limit is 10 to make the playing ground more fair to those that live in colder climates and cant show all year.
Sandee said:
I don't mean to throw cold water on this but it seems to me that those in the warmer climate have an advantage in this program. The show season is so short in the north that you'd have to have a really super horse to win with as few shows as we have.
I appreciate the effort to level the playing field by only allowing ten judges/placings so a horse from a warmer climate doesn't win by default by accumulating more points, but I'm not sure how much it helps when they have that many more opportunities to get a top placing and that much longer to practice. Still, there's not much anyone can do about that I'd think!
default_smile.png

My problem (and the reason I don't participate in the Amateur Advantage program either) is that it takes way too much time to track down busy show officials to sign papers, get lists of which judge gave me what placing, etc. I can barely keep one class's placings straight in the lineup, nevermind remember which judge gave me what, out of how many horses, in each class, times twelve classes each for two geldings!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
I am just not that cool.
default_biggrin.png
I appreciate programs like the All Star, HOF, etc. that are automatically tabulated for me. I wish the Super Gelding program could be done that way!

Leia

Lei I hear you sister! I HATE paperwork! Hate it.

We tried to make this as simple as possible and as fair as possible.

You do not have to have a show official sign anything. We do use the office to confirm placings. So you just need to keep track of your 10 best placings and what judges those were.

I am eternally optimistic that some day ASPC/AMHR will get a new computer program to make all of this easier. I hate tracking points but for now there is just no other way to do it.

The main thing is to write down the judges name. The rest you can look up on the show program as long as you do it before they delete it.

What exactly is the payback/prize for this program?

FYI - the judges and placings can easily be found at the AMHR show results site.

The payback depends on the number of entries. This year we are also giving out trophies and platters that were donated by committee members. Hoping to get more donations in the future if we get to continue. Problem is donations are not tax deductible so its not easy to get them.

10. Awards: 80% of nomination fees collected for each division (“A” miniature, “B” miniature, classic, foundation, modern, & modern pleasure) will be awarded as follows: 40% for all around halter and 40% for all around performance. 80% of nomination fees collected for the ASPR division will go to the ASPR all around winner. The remaining 20% of nomination fees will be used for administrative costs and for the purchase of a commemorative award for the winners.

kaykay said:
You do not have to have a show official sign anything.
Sorry for generalizing, I was referring to the requirements for the AA program with that one.
default_wink.png

ruffian said:
FYI - the judges and placings can easily be found at the AMHR show results site.
Really?? Awesome!! Thank you! That makes things much more doable.
default_wub.png

Leia

Quick question... I'm going to guess that since it is your "10 best", that you'd want your highest placing with the most horses in the class? Example: 1st in Liberty of 6 entries rather than 1st in Country Pleasure Driving with 2 entries.

Is is better to have a variety? Example a 1st in Liberty (of 6 entries), a 1st in Open Country (of 2 entries), a 1st in Country Stake (of 3 entries), a 1st in Roadster (of 1 entry), etc. Or is it better to be constant? Only listing the horses' winning Country Pleasure driving classes of the year.

Or does any of that matter?
default_smile.png

In your example you would want to use the Liberty win because you beat 6 horses which gives you more points than beating 2 or 3 horses.

default_yes.gif

Hi Leia,

Your Comment:

"My problem (and the reason I don't participate in the Amateur Advantage program either) is that it takes way too much time to track down busy show officials to sign papers, get lists of which judge gave me what placing, etc. I can barely keep one class's placings straight in the lineup, nevermind remember which judge gave me what, out of how many horses, in each class, times twelve classes each for two geldings! I am just not that cool. "

You are referring to the End of the Year Awards where you are asked to fill out a form on each horse you want to enter. I have yet to turn down any End of the Year Forms that don't have the judge's informaton filled in. We are not that big yet to require it. It's just better to leave on the paperwork than to try to rework those forms. To make it easier on everyone you can also download your hoses show record, highlight only the amateur classes and staple it to your form. I will look at it. If ANYONE has any questions conerning the End of the Year Awards (the forms are on the ASPC/AMHR website under "Amateur") please give me a call or drop me an email. Thanks.

Karen Shaw

Chairman

Triple A Amateur Advantage Program

817-426-0262

Email: [email protected]

Thank you, Karen! What about non-AMHR events though? I haven't looked at it in years but my memory was that for CDE's and the like you had to get the show organizer's signature and that was mostly where I was competing. Perhaps I've misremembered the program name?

Leia

Hi Leia,

Thats the Amateur Companion/Excellence program. It's there too. Janice Bryant of Georgia is the coordinator. Through this program you can also earn your awards and Supreme Amateur status there as well. Again, we're not worried about signatures as much right now. Just want people to participate.

Karen

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back