Sunday morning drive and

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
So I've been waiting for the day these two got to go for a drive together. Looks like they are having a good time. Duckie is doing great and training is winding down. She's only got two more weeks and then she comes home to continue her successes here at home. I'm still very happy with her training and especially with her trainer.

Here's Dorothy just starting the day with her this morning and having a good time.

DirvingDuckie01.jpg

And she loses her for awhile and Ron takes over for his Sunday morning drive.

DuckieandRon2.jpg

Duckiedriving3.jpg

This is my favorite they are just meandering along enjoying the drive

Duckiejustwalkingeasy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow they all look like they are enjoying themselves! Can't wait to see how you like driving her!!!

Those are GREAT pics of Ducky. I must tell you that Dorothy told me that she really loves your mare. Seeing these pics of her make me recant my thought that she shouldn't be bred. What a lovely horse. She is definitely a type that should be reproduced, if you ever desire to do so.

Thank you Amy and Kim. Right now the decision has been made not to breed. I will drive duckie when she gets home and I don't doubt that I will truly enjoy the drive. Dorothy has said if we have problems we can't handle by phone or email she will take her back for more training at a later date. One of the things I love most about Duckie is she really enjoys spending time with people as much as or more than spending time with the other horses. When I call Duckie she comes right up for attention. This makes it enjoyable for people to spend time with her. And of course I think she is very pretty with her darker color against the white. I'm so hoping to be able to send her brother for training next. He is calming down alot this year and is ready to begin a job. With his super sweet personality and his build he should be a great little horse to drive and he is a dark silver dapple also.

Today Vicky is heading up to Dorothys to fit the new harness to her and get a drive in before Duckie comes home. I have asked her to get pictures but if she is in the cart alone maybe Dorothy can get the pictures.

Susanne has invited us to go driving with her, Keith and Mingus, Darrell and his mare on the trail that runs to Vernonia from Scappoose. I'm planning on doing that and also at least one beach drive with them this summer would be great. Along with driving around town here just for fun and Vicky wants to do the local 4th of July parade which is a good starter parade because it's close by, short and in just a smaller area of Scappoose. She walked Ariel thru last year and had alot of fun so maybe we can get both entered in it this year driving thru. We will see what the future holds.

Shortpig said:
Susanne has invited us to go driving with her, Keith and Mingus, Darrell and his mare on the trail that runs to Vernonia from Scappoose. I'm planning on doing that and also at least one beach drive with them this summer would be great. Along with driving around town here just for fun and Vicky wants to do the local 4th of July parade
I so wish I could join you! I'll be gone most of August on my first big international trip but I keep wondering if I can get the kids to the beach sometime before then with my Oregon crew. Kody is easily up to parades at this point but I need to work him up to real pulling again so I might be ponying both him and Turbo (one at a time, of course!) from someone else's cart. Still, it would be fun! Duckie and Mingus could both haul two people easy.
default_wink.png

Your girl looks really great and I enjoy seeing her pictures as she progresses. I'm of the firm opinion that proper work makes any horse look their best! They learn to carry themselves with pride and power.

Leia

Shortpig said:
Susanne has invited us to go driving with her, Keith and Mingus, Darrell and his mare on the trail that runs to Vernonia from Scappoose. I'm planning on doing that and also at least one beach drive with them this summer would be great. Along with driving around town here just for fun and Vicky wants to do the local 4th of July parade
I so wish I could join you! I'll be gone most of August on my first big international trip but I keep wondering if I can get the kids to the beach sometime before then with my Oregon crew. Kody is easily up to parades at this point but I need to work him up to real pulling again so I might be ponying both him and Turbo (one at a time, of course!) from someone else's cart. Still, it would be fun! Duckie and Mingus could both haul two people easy.
default_wink.png

Your girl looks really great and I enjoy seeing her pictures as she progresses. I'm of the firm opinion that proper work makes any horse look their best! They learn to carry themselves with pride and power.

Leia

Oh Leia we have two trained driving horses and two carts and two harnesses. You would be able to drive one of the horses as they both can haul two people in the cart. Theres no reason why when someone is taking a break you couldn't take a horse and go. Actually Vicky rushed around before I got home today hitched up Ariel and took off down the road. Then a lady came out and chased her down the street with her camera offering to pay her if she would stop and let her take pictures. So you can go and it might be September by the time we get around to going to the beach. It's always less windy in the fall than in the summer at the beaches anyway.

Oh Marie, you must feel so proud. She looks so comfortable and happy. (Ron, however, looks like he needs another cup of coffee...
default_yes.gif
)

I'm sure Duckie will be happy to be back home with you. You are lucky that she didn't fit into my suitcase last week.
default_wink.png
She is such a pretty girl and looks absolutely fantabulous hitched to the cart. You are a very lucky lady.
default_wub.png

Although I didn't mention it before...but keep going back to, is how relaxed in the mouth and jaw she is. I love to see big sobber-gobs...weird huh? Seriously, even though that first photo has her in a slightly working frame, she is soft into it, not stiff and unyeilding at all.

I think you are going to enjoy her emmensely.

Nancy I hadn't noticed that really. You're right he does need another cup of coffee. Those early morning drives. In the last picture you can see Duckies ears turned back waiting for him to spk and wake up. LOL. And yes I feel very luck to have my home bred girl. Actually I had done some research on her sires bloodlines and such. What I found was in the past there seemed to be some Jackpot Farms horses that were making names for themselves in driving. I can't traces her dams pedigree because the person I got her from lost her sires papers and didn't remember his registered name. All I know is he came from a large miniature horse farm in Louisiana, he was 29" tall, sweet as could be and a true black. I had a picture of him at one time but coffee spills took care of that. Duckie's Granddam is a blk pinto classic shetland. Not ashamed of that at all because it gave her the build she has. Her dam is a little more fine boned than she is.

I have been working her dam to get her in shape. It has been too long since she was slimmed down and muscled up. I am shocked
default_new_shocked.gif
with what I am seeing already. What a beautiful girl she is and the neck this mare has now that she is slimming is so awesome. I will get some pics of her standing up when we get further along with the workouts. I love this mare
default_wub.png

I've actually been considering breeding her in June one more time but haven't made a final decision on it just yet. I would love to get just one more solid black filly from her but doubt that will ever happen again.

Sue she is very forward according to Dorothy and doesn't seem to be stiff at all. I believe she is really enjoying having a job to do that involves humans as they are her bestest friends.
default_yes.gif
They brush you and pet you. They give you hugs and kisses and best of all they carry wonderful treats in their pockets. Don't get me wrong she is no perfect angel as with all horses she does have her moments but they are few and far between. She will be enjoyed when she comes home.

Latest posts

Back