Suggestions of administering meds please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
small steps work!

i must have missed-- what method have you used??
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I just continued with the applesauce but I cut the tip of the syringe off and was able to get almost all of the mixture in it without losing any. Then when i gave it to him he actually seemed to be gobbling it down as I shot it in there
default_yes.gif
Cutting the tip off really seemed to help
default_smile.png

The pills dissolve nicely in water. But I am having a problem getting the apple sauce/water mix into the syringe. I think it is just too darn big! It is a 60 mL one. I will go tomorrow and find a smaller one. The vet gave me this one probably because thats all they had. The tip of it makes it hard to suck up all the stuff. Do you think I could cut the tip off of this one? Would that make it easier?

I am going to try the yogurt in the morning! He might like it better then the applesauce. I would mix it in with some grain but he isn't hooked on that yet either. He has only had milk and hay so he is just now being introduced to different types of treats.

DSC05730.jpg
I have tried using molasses, it is always such a mess. If your pills dissolve easily in water, then just cut the tip off the syringe you are using, add the pills with water, and squirt them down the throat after they dissolve. I make up the dose syringe with the pills in it the night before when I am doing twice daily doses, then I just grab it, administer it, and make the next one up for the next dose ahead of time. If it is a powder, I would mix it in the feed, but pills are just easier in water. It is not about making it taste good to the horse, it is about making it easy on yourself, using a smaller amount of liquid, and getting the medicine down the throat. I just decided not to make it harder than it needs to be.

Latest posts

Back