Moe is sick, from cherry toxicity to stomach ulcers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Sucralfate quite a bit, but not 100% of the time. Dose is 1gm/100# 2-3 times/day.

Its not consistently cheap, I do not carry it either and script it out and sometimes owners get sticker shock at the pharmacy.

Dr Taylor

I found it at dover horse pharmacy online for $40 for 100 1g tablets. Way cheaper than CVS pharmacy, but going to check a few other pharmacy's too.

Wishing you the best with your boy.
default_no.gif

I didn't read everything, but once I saw "ulcers" I thought I would share what I found. Ulcergard and Gastroguard are the same thing!!! Gastrogauard is by prescription only, with the DOSING level for treatment (full tube), but Ulcergard (the non-presc. one) is labeled for -oops, meant PREVENTION (1/4 tube for full size horse). Buy whichever is cheaper and easier to get and use the dose your vet recommends.

If you use Sucralfate WITH GG or UG, you must stagger them because the Sucralfate needs acid to work. So you might give the Sucralfate AM & PM and the GG midday, which is what I did. And I wouldn't assume ulcers are going to heal in a few days - I think standard is one month of treatment at least. Yes, you should see some improvement in a few days, but just like taking antibiotics, you should keep treating. It also depends on where the ulcers are - I think Sucralfate helps the ones in the intestines.

GOOD LUCK- hope your boy recovers quickly and totally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Aloe Vera juice before on a Mini with ulcers from bute after surgery.I got the plain unflavored kind from Wal Mart and put 6 cc 2 times daily by mouth using a syringe with no needle.It worked for me and is not expensive.It was told to me by a vet at Rutgers in NJ.She said her clients had used it with success.As your vet-it sure can't hurt.I also drank aloe juice for indigestion-calms it down almost instantly.Good luck with your guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back