Suggestions needed please....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west_mini

Reaction score
Ok....I am in need of some serious suggestions on how to keep a blanket on Spirit. We clipped him a few weeks ago for a show and since then we've had some chilly nights. Even some frost. I have a nice warm blanket for him to wear that I bought thinking he couldn't get it off. It has the leg straps in the back, the belly wrap and velcro in the front. Perfect...or so I thought. Although the fit is right, he can manage to buck and roll enough to get out of it. I tried to shut him up with it on thinking he wouldn't have enough room to get out of it and guess what, he did. I tired to duct tape the velcro on the front but he still manages to get out. I keep thinking I'm gonna walk outside to feed one morning and he';s gonna be an ice-cude. His hair is growing back and he does have his own personal barn to go in and out of but I just worry he's freezing. Any suggestions?

I had to replace ALL the velcro on my blankets with clips to get them to stay on.

well my first question would be what part if any is undone when you find the blanket on the ground in the morning? I personally hate the blankets with the velcro fronts ihave also started getting blankets iwth not only a velcro belly band but a velcro strip that runs over the belly ones along the back

I dont have many but all the open front blankets I have had have since been sewn shut. I do not like the open fronts at all.

You might try some blanket pins to secure the belly band as well as using the velcro.

I have also found that some horses help the other ones out of their blankets if they are together.

They can be little brats, can't they?

Hi, and welcome to the Forum. I see you just joined a few days ago.

I don't blanket my horses at this time of year for any reason, unless they've been clipped recently as yours was. It seems that he hasn't turned into the ice cube you fear yet, so maybe it would be better to just leave it off and let his hair grow back in naturally.

Generally speaking, I often think people blanket their horses for their own comfort rather than that of the horse. I know I'm tempted to when the weather gets super freezing in the winter, but their own hair and healthy diet with plenty of hay is usually enough to keep them warm.

I have the same problem with one of my mares.

In the morning it's in a pile, with everything still attached! Leg straps and all.

Can't figure out how she does it.

I just wanted her to get used to one before something happened and we needed to blanket her.

Lee

wacko.gif
Thanks for the replys....When I find his blanket in the pasture everything is still attached except the front part. I think he rolls until it comes loose. The belly strap and the leg straps are all still in place. He is by himself so he doesn't have and accomplises. Maybe just sewing up the front will do it?

I agree that sometimes blanketing is more comfort for the owner than the horse itself. Our large horses in the other pastures never get the pampering that Spirit does which has created quite a bit of jealousy, but what can you do? He's just so irresistable and it kills my soul to see him shiver.

You would think he would put two and two together--blanket=toasty warm--no blanket=shivering and cold.

I had a little stallion that did the same thing, so one day I watched him he was able to get the front velcro and peel it off with his teeth, and then roll enough to get the darn thing off. So once I put a blanket on him that didn't have a velcro front he was unable to do it again. Never had another issue after that.

closed front should solve most ofthe problem.

I to am still blanketing my horses well one of them anyway that was at Nationals the others are a bit hairyer but he was clipped closer and later my T/B gets blanketed all winter long as he just doesnt grow enough coat

They can be pills. Some of mine will almost instantly un-velcro the front of their blankets, especially the younger ones.

One thing I wondered about on the way in (thinking back on this thread) is if the blanket has a rough felt or polar fleece lining, it might be itchy to him. I'm thinking it probably has a smooth or slick lining but just in case...

I HATE velcro on blankets. I just bought two winter turnouts for my guys and had them sent to a blanket repair shop to have all velcro replaced with metal clasps like big blankets have.

As for your mini if he is not shivering do not worry about it. If worried throw out some more hay. If he is constantly getting out of the blanket I would not bother. Besides the fear of him getting caught in it at some point.

Latest posts

Back