Suggestions for trimming feet on a tricky horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
Good going!!!

I suspect that he just felt some type of comfort when you spoke to him as he knew you were there WITH HIM and I'm certain you were speaking in a soft, loving voice. They absolutely relate the tone to good or bad (depending on the tone you are using) and with all of his "issues" you are his rock.

Hey, maybe he just didn't WANT to know that there were two of you there
default_biggrin.png
-- so, when farrier didn't talk he could pretend you have really, really long arms
default_laugh.png

Congratulations on a great job.

Update: Wiz got his feet trimmed for the first time in well over a year today.
aktion033.gif
He wasn't thrilled, but I spent several days talking to him about it and gently touching and lifting his feet and using treats. This morning I gave him .15ml of dorm and let him stand for about 10 mins. We did his front feet without any issues then took a break because he got nervous when we started on the back. Trimmed another horse and then came back to Wiz and slowing were able to get both back feet done. He wasn't thrilled, but it seemed to help if the farrier didn't speak (he doesn't seem to like it when he heard Howard's voice) but I just kept saying his name and talking to him and we got through it. He seemed to like hearing his name over and over. If I stopped, he immediately tensed up, so for whatever reason that seemed to help.

Yay Wiz!
aktion033.gif

Thanks for all the great advice!

Thanks for the update, so glad his feet got done.

Yay Wiz! what a good boy...

Latest posts

Back