Studding out a Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I thought my other post was lost in space. I'm not sure what is going on. I think it's my wireless internet card.

First off, it is a sign of immaturity and you will have a very hard time trying to find anyone willing to deal with you because of it no matter how many times you apologize.
We know of a lady around here that has lost lots of horse business (boarding, breeding, training, etc.) because of how she has treated other people in the past. We considered her a "friendly acquaintance" until she blew up at my husband last year over something absolutely rediculous.
no.gif
We basically try to avoid her now, and know of lots of others who do the same. It's pretty sad, because she has/had a lot to offer, and there are very few people that we have a hard time dealing with.

Last edited by a moderator:
We know of a lady around here that has lost lots of horse business (boarding, breeding, training, etc.) because of how she has treated other people in the past. We considered her a "friendly acquaintance" until she blew up at my husband last year over something absolutely rediculous.
no.gif
We basically try to avoid her now, and know of lots of others who do the same. It's pretty sad, because she has/had a lot to offer, and there are very few people that we have a hard time dealing with.

what did she yell at him for, if you dont mind my asking?

thanks

i went outside and cooled off and i came back here and read everything
no.gif
i have to say i'm soooo sorry to EVERYONE!! i've been very stressed lately and i can see i've been taking it out on you guys, and i'm soo sorry for that! i hope you guys can forgive my rudeness and stupidity and continue to answer my questions and help me learn. even though i dont deserve it. i wont be rude ever again, if i am then tell me because sometimes i dont realize it. i'm sooo sorry!

Everyone makes mistakes - even us old hags!
laugh.gif
Sorry, just couldn't resist as that was, while being insulting, just about one of the funniest things I'd heard in a long time! So thanks for the chuckle. But more importantly, it's take a very mature person to come back and say "hey, I was wrong" no matter what the subject matter at hand may be. We've all lost it a time or two and we all will again. It's human nature. It's how we handle the future instances that shape us. Did we learn from the past? It sounds like you have. Please continue to ask questions because we ALL learn every time one of us asks a question.
yes.gif

Everyone makes mistakes - even us old hags!
laugh.gif
Sorry, just couldn't resist as that was, while being insulting, just about one of the funniest things I'd heard in a long time! So thanks for the chuckle. But more importantly, it's take a very mature person to come back and say "hey, I was wrong" no matter what the subject matter at hand may be. We've all lost it a time or two and we all will again. It's human nature. It's how we handle the future instances that shape us. Did we learn from the past? It sounds like you have. Please continue to ask questions because we ALL learn every time one of us asks a question.
yes.gif

thanks. glad you had a good laugh!
smile.gif
i still have plenty of questions, trust me!
yes.gif

I was under the impression youths couldn't show stallions?

I'm sorry, but any youth, of any age, should not be handling any stallion OR mare in a breeding situation. I have taught hundreds of people how to collect and breed stallions, from college age up to professionals, and it is not a job for a youngster without a very experienced mentor watching over every step and experienced animals (that the mentor is very, very familiar with). Stallions are very dangerous to the unprepared. A little credited fact is mares in breeding situations can be just as dangerous, if not moreso, than the studs! I've been hurt many times in my breeding career, and so far (knock on wood) its always been by the mares. A youth, especially lacking adult, EXPERIENCED, supervision, should not be breeding. Period.

In AMHA youths 13 and older can show stallions. Can't remember the AMHR age offhand.

Thanks for the apology, from an occasionally grumpy middle aged (ok, old to a 15 yr old) hag (especially first thing in the morning)
default_wink.png

If it's any condolences, I'm only nearing 22, but feel like an old hag. Im almost 37 weeks pregnant and feeling every bit of it. lol

I've only read the original post. If the stallion has done well showing on the National level, you may get some interest in breeding to him. If not, don't count on much.

The thing with minis is that nearly everyone has their own stallion(s) and some of us even have real nice ones. We all think our own stallions are exceptional, but the reality is that most miniature stallions couldn't win a gelding halter class.

If it's any condolences, I'm only nearing 22, but feel like an old hag. Im almost 37 weeks pregnant and feeling every bit of it. lol

you're pregnant?!? you must dying in this heat(or, at least around here you would, 94 degrees today!!) i'm 15 and sometimes even i feel like an old hag! lol!

I was under the impression youths couldn't show stallions?

I'm sorry, but any youth, of any age, should not be handling any stallion OR mare in a breeding situation. I have taught hundreds of people how to collect and breed stallions, from college age up to professionals, and it is not a job for a youngster without a very experienced mentor watching over every step and experienced animals (that the mentor is very, very familiar with). Stallions are very dangerous to the unprepared. A little credited fact is mares in breeding situations can be just as dangerous, if not moreso, than the studs! I've been hurt many times in my breeding career, and so far (knock on wood) its always been by the mares. A youth, especially lacking adult, EXPERIENCED, supervision, should not be breeding. Period.

this stallion, in his previous home, was led around by the neighborhood kids(the youngest being 10) and never gave them any fuss so i'd say i have little chance of getting hurt by him
wub.gif
i am still going to be carefull though!
yes.gif

You said that you probably wouldn't get hurt because the neighborhood kids led your stallion around and had no problem. That's nice but remember you have two mares who will come into heat and your stallion is going to react to that. Has your stallion dropped both testicles? If he hasn't then of course he would be calm for the neighborhood kids. Just a few things that this old hag thinks you might want to think about. Just remember a mini may be small but you can still get hurt especially by a stallion.

You said that you probably wouldn't get hurt because the neighborhood kids led your stallion around and had no problem. That's nice but remember you have two mares who will come into heat and your stallion is going to react to that. Has your stallion dropped both testicles? If he hasn't then of course he would be calm for the neighborhood kids. Just a few things that this old hag thinks you might want to think about. Just remember a mini may be small but you can still get hurt especially by a stallion.

the previous owner said he is dropped(he hasent been delivered yet so i cant say much). she hasent had him around mares before so when he gets here i plan on being VERY cautious, 'specially because my vet told me that misty(my 2yr old grulla who has never shown heat) might show to the stallion. my buckskin is to young to show heat yet(just turned one on 5/21)

sorry about the hag thing
sad.gif
and when he gets here i'll be sure to post pictures and maybe do a poll on a barn name
yes.gif

At the risk of being called an old hag...
default_rolleyes.gif

A yearling is not "too young" to show heat - I've had several fillies show at 8 or 9 months old!

Only one of your mares is breeding quality, though - right? Didn't I read somewhere that you said one of your mares is a minimal dwarf?

Make double sure you have some good strong fences, with a space between them so that the mares and the colt can't take them down and get to each other! The mares are as bad as the stallions sometimes... when they're in heat, and when they aren't and they think the stallion needs to die!
default_wink.png

If your folks have drafts you must have decent fences, the only thing I've had that's harder on fences than draft horses is cows - or goats!

At the risk of being called an old hag...
rolleyes.gif

A yearling is not "too young" to show heat - I've had several fillies show at 8 or 9 months old!

Only one of your mares is breeding quality, though - right? Didn't I read somewhere that you said one of your mares is a minimal dwarf?

Make double sure you have some good strong fences, with a space between them so that the mares and the colt can't take them down and get to each other! The mares are as bad as the stallions sometimes... when they're in heat, and when they aren't and they think the stallion needs to die!
wink.gif

If your folks have drafts you must have decent fences, the only thing I've had that's harder on fences than draft horses is cows - or goats!

none of my mares are "dwarfy", i made 100% sure of that before purchasing
yes.gif
my buckskin is small(24"at 1yr, should mature between 26"-28") but not dwarfy. 8 or 9 months old
new_shocked.gif
wow! i was told minis couldnt come into heat until 2yrs at least! as for fencing the stud will be in horse sized pannel fencing, i'm pretty sure that'll hold em(i hope anyway!)

By horse size panel fence do you mean Panels like used in a big horse round pen? If so a small mini can get out of those especially if a stallion wants to get to a mare.

Hey there! I think I'm the biggest old hag on the forum and that's ok by me.

About these stallions: I pride myself on my stallion Nick and his impecable manners and brag about him all the time. I got him when he was just a very young untrained colt and he was worked with from the get go daily. He has never given me one bit of trouble. He was raised by me and my boys who were just kids at the time. However my kids were already previously very horse savvy about handling big horses so they knew how to handle him correctly even at thier young ages. BUTT! He's all boy when it comes to a mare in heat and that is when you will see the writing on the wall and realize what you have gotten yourself into. The manners still have to be in place no matter what and that is nothing but hard work with a knowledgable hand. Even the nicest stallions in the world can turn into a complete moron in seconds. We will worry about these safety issues and cross our fingers and hope for the best. I sure wish if there were a mentor in your neck of the woods they would step forward to work with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back