Studding out a Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Molly's Run Minis

Reaction score
what do i need to know about studding out a stallion? i plan to stud out my stallion eventually and would like to know what i need to put in the ad, what price i should ask, what i should ask of the mare owner, etc? throw it all at me!
torch.gif

as for the price, his pic is on my website, he has bloodlines that are non existent in maine, hes going to be very small(about 28"), he has very sweet easy to control temperament even around mares, his dam is an english import, he's minimal tobiano pinto(most likely homozygous, LWO-), and hes got great conformation with a beautiful head and neck.
wub.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless he is a show winner I honestly think you are onto a non starter with standing a stallion. Most Mini owners prefer to have their own stallion.

Also, I found it was a heck of a lot of work for very little return, and the risk of my good horse being hurt by rank mares (Sorry, mare owners, I have done this with big horses most of my life and it was always the mares, never the stallions, that hurt me!)

So, you take him to some shows, get some championships under his belt, prove he is a good horse and also prove that he is 28" (thinking that is what he will make won't do it!)

then you will need insurance and a very good contract, and you will still get people thinking they can bring their horrible 36" mares to him for half price because they are unregistered!!!

Been there, got three hundred dirty, trampled t-shirts.

NEVER going to do it again.

Good Luck!!!
default_laugh.png

(*and sorry....*)

I think I'm heading towards the state of mind Jane is in (and fast). There are so many awesome colts out there (and for cheap) that most people prefer to buy and breed their own.

Unless he is a show winner I honestly think you are onto a non starter with standing a stallion. Most Mini owners prefer to have their own stallion.

Also, I found it was a heck of a lot of work for very little return, and the risk of my good horse being hurt by rank mares (Sorry, mare owners, I have done this with big horses most of my life and it was always the mares, never the stallions, that hurt me!)

So, you take him to some shows, get some championships under his belt, prove he is a good horse and also prove that he is 28" (thinking that is what he will make won't do it!)

then you will need insurance and a very good contract, and you will still get people thinking they can bring their horrible 36" mares to him for half price because they are unregistered!!!

Been there, got three hundred dirty, trampled t-shirts.

NEVER going to do it again.

Good Luck!!!
laugh.gif

(*and sorry....*)

new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif
hahaha! no need to appologize, i said give it to me straight! i've already decided that i'm not going to stand him to unregistered mares. i want him to have babies that can be more than just backyard pets. hes 2 and is barely 27" some i'm 90% sure he will be 28".

I agree wholeheartedly with Jane. It just is not worth the effort unless you are very experienced and in it big time. The risk to your stallion is not worth the small return. The only outside mares I take in are those I have sold with an agreement to rebreed them.

Respectfully, it is an endevor that requires experience, not just someone who has a new colt and thinks they are now a horse breeder.

There is no way I would do it, for all the reasons Jane said and maybe even a few more!! And even at that, I STILL get people asking if our stallion is available at stud. I figure if they want one of his babies that badly, they can buy one of his foals that we offer for sale.

I don't think it would be a really good idea. Most people have their own mini stallions. If someone wants to breed to an outside stallion they are going to want a proven stallion not a two year old. If you think he will mature at 28 inches that isn't for sure he can do some growing in the next few years. You think he is homozygous and possibly LWO. You would need proof (test him) If people were thinking about breeding to an outside stallion they would more than likely want to see the stallions get and not just one or two foals. Most people breeding to other stallions are going to want the stallion to have a show record or his get to have a show record . Do you have a safe place for outside mares ? It is a big resposibility to have someone elses horses in your care,have you thought about what you will do if one of those mares hurts your stallion? If you have to breed I would think stick to breeding your own mares.

I have to say that I completely agree with everyone's response on the topic.

I personally don't offer stud service to any of our stallions and I'm an experienced horse breeder myself. I realize that these are all questions that your asking so that you will possibly begin to have the knowledge base needed in order to pursue a sound breeding program. But to take it a step further once again were talking about a hypothetical subject on a horse that you may or may not purchase again.

How is it that you have so much time during M-F during school hours to be on the Internet?

I don't think it would be a really good idea. Most people have their own mini stallions. If someone wants to breed to an outside stallion they are going to want a proven stallion not a two year old. If you think he will mature at 28 inches that isn't for sure he can do some growing in the next few years. You think he is homozygous and possibly LWO. You would need proof (test him) If people were thinking about breeding to an outside stallion they would more than likely want to see the stallions get and not just one or two foals. Most people breeding to other stallions are going to want the stallion to have a show record or his get to have a show record . Do you have a safe place for outside mares ? It is a big resposibility to have someone elses horses in your care,have you thought about what you will do if one of those mares hurts your stallion? If you have to breed I would think stick to breeding your own mares.

k thanks! i guess i wont be doing that! btw i said he is negative for LWO

I have to say that I completely agree with everyone's response on the topic.

I personally don't offer stud service to any of our stallions and I'm an experienced horse breeder myself. I realize that these are all questions that your asking so that you will possibly begin to have the knowledge base needed in order to pursue a sound breeding program. But to take it a step further once again were talking about a hypothetical subject on a horse that you may or may not purchase again.

How is it that you have so much time during M-F during school hours to be on the Internet?

fyi, i purchased him and hes being delivered this saturday, and at this time i'm not going to school for personal reasons. why do you care anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way I would do it, for all the reasons Jane said and maybe even a few more!! And even at that, I STILL get people asking if our stallion is available at stud. I figure if they want one of his babies that badly, they can buy one of his foals that we offer for sale.

how do you respond when they ask you if you stand your stud? just wondering
smile.gif

You're doing the right thing by asking the questions you are, so good for you!!
aktion033.gif

I have to say that I agree with everything that has been said here. And even though I agree, I actually do stand my stallion to outside mares.
laugh.gif
Why? Well, believe me, I ask myself that all the time!!
wacko.gif
It's HARD work, not really worth the effort in most cases and I swear I turn down more than 90% of the mares that are submitted for approval...maybe even more. The reason I do it? Because I know that although I love my broodmares and they have been carefully selected, there are still better ones out there. So I keep looking around for one of those that is better than what I have that may be interested. For me, it's about promoting my stallion, but to the right kind of mare owner with the right mare. It's not easy and honestly, most folks with mares of the quality I'm going to approve already have a very nice stallion of their own. So it's those folks that want to try another stallion just to get a little different blood in their herd that would be, and are, my customers. I'm very lucky in that even though Spirit has never stepped foot in the show ring, his production record and his pedigree are strong enough that people consider him.

It's a long road and there are TONS of things to consider. Again, you're doing the right thing by asking the questions you are. Kudos to you for that!

You're doing the right thing by asking the questions you are, so good for you!!
aktion033.gif

I have to say that I agree with everything that has been said here. And even though I agree, I actually do stand my stallion to outside mares.
laugh.gif
Why? Well, believe me, I ask myself that all the time!!
wacko.gif
It's HARD work, not really worth the effort in most cases and I swear I turn down more than 90% of the mares that are submitted for approval...maybe even more. The reason I do it? Because I know that although I love my broodmares and they have been carefully selected, there are still better ones out there. So I keep looking around for one of those that is better than what I have that may be interested. For me, it's about promoting my stallion, but to the right kind of mare owner with the right mare. It's not easy and honestly, most folks with mares of the quality I'm going to approve already have a very nice stallion of their own. So it's those folks that want to try another stallion just to get a little different blood in their herd that would be, and are, my customers. I'm very lucky in that even though Spirit has never stepped foot in the show ring, his production record and his pedigree are strong enough that people consider him.

It's a long road and there are TONS of things to consider. Again, you're doing the right thing by asking the questions you are. Kudos to you for that!

thanks!

someday, when my stallion has more of a show record, and a few more babies on the ground we plan on studding him out, but we will be very picky.

You have to remember that just because a mare is registered, doesnt mean she should be bred. im not saying that the only horses that have a long show record should be bred.. but be sure that the mares you breed to have a even bite, make sure they are correctly propotioned and not dwarfy in anyway. make sure ther conformation is good! check out their sires and dams at least to make sure you would want to breed to them too. make sure the mare will compliment your stallion!

When we start standing our stallions to outside mares, we will require that they be cultured and have a clear coggins and health certificate.

generally , people charge a stud fee and a certian amount for mare care.

also as im sure you know, start teaching your stallion good manners now. the earlier the better.

as it was already stated, make sure you have adequate housing for outside mares.. make sure your property is clean and free of debris.

good luck in your endevor!

someday, when my stallion has more of a show record, and a few more babies on the ground we plan on studding him out, but we will be very picky.

You have to remember that just because a mare is registered, doesnt mean she should be bred. im not saying that the only horses that have a long show record should be bred.. but be sure that the mares you breed to have a even bite, make sure they are correctly propotioned and not dwarfy in anyway. make sure ther conformation is good! check out their sires and dams at least to make sure you would want to breed to them too. make sure the mare will compliment your stallion!

When we start standing our stallions to outside mares, we will require that they be cultured and have a clear coggins and health certificate.

generally , people charge a stud fee and a certian amount for mare care.

also as im sure you know, start teaching your stallion good manners now. the earlier the better.

as it was already stated, make sure you have adequate housing for outside mares.. make sure your property is clean and free of debris.

good luck in your endevor!

thanks! and by registered i meant i'd have to approve, sorry
wacko.gif
i'm getting everything mixed up today!

how do you respond when they ask you if you stand your stud? just wondering
smile.gif

We politely tell the person that we only stand our stallions to a mare or filly (when they are old enough) who has come from our farm....and we can negotiate that into the purchase contract.

We did go through the painful experience of standing a couple of our stallions to Outside mares. It was definitely a LEARNING experience. We were picky about the quality of the mares. What ended up being a nightmare was the LFG (Live Foal Guarantee).

1. The mare needs to be proven to be fertile and clean by a VET with written documentation.

2. How does the stallion owner know that the mare is being managed correctly during her pregnancy?

3. How does the stallion owner know for sure that the birth of the foal was ATTENDED?

Oh, I agree with Jane (Rabbit) completely....... Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
default_smile.png

I have some thoughts:

1) I keep all outside mares in an area where they will not come into contact with any of my horses, for the sake of the outside mare and my own horses.

2) I no longer offer LFG. We've never had a problem, but with miniatures there are too many serious consequences of an unattended birth.

3) Select the outside mares carefully. Everything negative about the foal will be blamed on the stallion.

4) I have 3 World and National Champion stallions that have World titled parents that are offered at a reasonable price. I have offered them at public stud for 3+ years. Only one person has chosen to send mares to them. Most mini breeders DO NOT breed to studs other than their own.

5) Are you able to provide skilled ultrasound and other veterinary services to the outside mares? Can you afford to pay the vet bill while waiting to be reimbursed by the mare owner? If the mare gets hurt, the owner may hold you responsible and at the very least, refuse to pay the vet bill. At the worst, they will hold you liable for the worth of the mare. If the mare comes with a vaginal infection that you don't know about your stallion can become infected and pass it to your own mares. Do you know how to clean a mare and stallion before breeding them?

Just some food for thought. Oh, and a polite "My stud isn't available to outside mares at this time, but thank you for considering him" will suffice.

We politely tell the person that we only stand our stallions to a mare or filly (when they are old enough) who has come from our farm....and we can negotiate that into the purchase contract.

We did go through the painful experience of standing a couple of our stallions to Outside mares. It was definitely a LEARNING experience. We were picky about the quality of the mares. What ended up being a nightmare was the LFG (Live Foal Guarantee).

1. The mare needs to be proven to be fertile and clean by a VET with written documentation.

2. How does the stallion owner know that the mare is being managed correctly during her pregnancy?

3. How does the stallion owner know for sure that the birth of the foal was ATTENDED?

Oh, I agree with Jane (Rabbit) completely....... Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
smile.gif

i imagine the LFG is pretty difficult, like you said you never know what the mare owner has done/will do. thanks for your opinion!

I have some thoughts:

1) I keep all outside mares in an area where they will not come into contact with any of my horses, for the sake of the outside mare and my own horses.

2) I no longer offer LFG. We've never had a problem, but with miniatures there are too many serious consequences of an unattended birth.

3) Select the outside mares carefully. Everything negative about the foal will be blamed on the stallion.

4) I have 3 World and National Champion stallions that have World titled parents that are offered at a reasonable price. I have offered them at public stud for 3+ years. Only one person has chosen to send mares to them. Most mini breeders DO NOT breed to studs other than their own.

5) Are you able to provide skilled ultrasound and other veterinary services to the outside mares? Can you afford to pay the vet bill while waiting to be reimbursed by the mare owner? If the mare gets hurt, the owner may hold you responsible and at the very least, refuse to pay the vet bill. At the worst, they will hold you liable for the worth of the mare. If the mare comes with a vaginal infection that you don't know about your stallion can become infected and pass it to your own mares. Do you know how to clean a mare and stallion before breeding them?

Just some food for thought. Oh, and a polite "My stud isn't available to outside mares at this time, but thank you for considering him" will suffice.

thanks for the info! i don't think i will do it, at least for a while anyway. i dont want my boy to get hurt. i do know how to clean a stallion, but i dont know how to clean a mare.

new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif
hahaha! no need to appologize, i said give it to me straight! i've already decided that i'm not going to stand him to unregistered mares. i want him to have babies that can be more than just backyard pets. hes 2 and is barely 27" some i'm 90% sure he will be 28".
Hello...

I highly suggest working with a professional who breeds stallions before deciding to stand (the more common term for "studding out") a stallion to the public. That way you can understand the subtleties of stallion handling, breeding, and methods. I understand that you are a youth, which is fine, but you are at a great age to mentor from someone and take the time to learn rather than just jump in and be disappointed or injured. Stallions of ALL sizes deserve to be handled correctly... just because minis are pretty easy doesn't mean they should get different respect or handling.

There is a lot to *proper* reproduction in horses between two parties.

Above, you say that you want your stallion's babies to be more than just backyard pets. Well, with stallions being able to spread their genes to many foals per year, it is important for the stallion HIMSELF to be more than "just a backyard pet." Many, MANY breeding farms spend THOUSANDS of dollars showing and promoting their stallions at the National level. Although promotion certainly does NOT ensure that a stallion will outproduce himself, it DOES allow the breeder to compare their stock to others as some degree of measure. It gives another dimension to marketing (other exhibitors see the stallion at shows, mare owners want to introduce "what's winning" into their own herd, it is easier to market foals that are "out of a winning stallion", etc.)

I GENERALLY (there are always exceptions) believe that backyard pet x backyard pet = backyard pet and because this is NOT your vision, you are not setting yourself up for success.

Again, I would highly suggest you find a mentor in your area and take the time to learn, rather than just ask some questions on a public forum that cannot be answered without justice. There are entire books written on these subjects!

There are always exceptions to everything though. Maybe you will take your little stallion to local AMHA shows and he will stand undefeated in every Grand class he goes in!

I have a stallion myself, I have spent three years so far dragging him to shows and I'm still not certain he will remain a stallion or ever sire any foals. I think he's nice, but I'm not barn blind, either. And I hate to add up how much I've spent on him! But I believe deeply in ethical breeding, which means ONLY breeding something that has proved itself in one way or another. Just being "well bred, homozygous for some color, and conformationally put together okay" does not cut it for me.

Good luck to you,

Andrea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back