Stud problem, need advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe he is just overwhelmed and putting him out with just a couple of mares at a time til he is comfortable will ease his stress level. It sounds like he just has too much on his mind to get the hang of things.

Maybe just turn him out with a couple and leave him there to live with them, and once a week, add one more? If he is not given enough time to find his comfort zone with them, he is going to be nervous, and the dog or whatever is going to distract him and he is having trouble keeping his mind on things.

Once he is used to it all, he will still be distracted by barking dogs, etc.. and by nature, he should be 'watchful' of his girls, but he will know what he is there to do.

My studs live out with the girls round the clock during breeding season.

Harem Stallion disorder? Wow! I have a big Paint stallion that we had a heck of a time getting to breed to our mares. Out of 4 mares he only managed to breed two of them, produced absolutely gorgeous foals but refused to breed back. I read about the TB stallion War Emblem that is having trouble breeding, they were ready to send him back to the states and give up on him but his few foals turned out to be stakes winners, all of them! They have conquered his problem by moving him completely away from the rest of the breeding farm (and stallions) I was thinking that maybe that is Forrests problem. I didn't know there was an actual name for this disorder! Cool! I have gelded my other Paint stallion due to his aggression so maybe now Forrest will take over the top spot! I still have my mini stud and a TB stallion who is only 3. Hopefully Forrest can muster up the courage to be top dog over them!!

Sounds like he might just be a late bloomer. Have you tried breeding another stallion and mare where he can see? This may help him learn. Also if you can leave a mare in with him, I'm sure he'll get it figured out in a couple months.

Wow..what a nice foal.

I was thinking like someone else mentioned, too many mares at once may be as problem.

He may like his privacy and the intimacy of less ladies!

I read about the TB stallion War Emblem that is having trouble breeding, they were ready to send him back to the states and give up on him but his few foals turned out to be stakes winners, all of them! They have conquered his problem by moving him completely away from the rest of the breeding farm (and stallions)
Yes, War Emblem is the stallion that got all the resarch going for Harem Stallion disorder. It seems that stabling stallions near mare "pods" increses libido and fertilety.

Its not harem stallion "disorder" per se...

There are two different types of stallions, as I've described several times. Bachelor stallions and harem studs. Bachelors live in herds and have low labido, and get along fine. They are best raised this way... most adults when put together will not get along. Harem studs live near or with a herd of mares, and have much higher testosterone levels. They will fight to maintain their status as herd stallion. If you put two harem boys together, you can have a major fight on your hands. Stabling a stud away from other stallions and within sight of mares, or even in contact with them, will increase his testosterone levels and therefore his labido.

Fertility only changes based on testosterone levels... nothing about a harem vs bachlor status will change fertility other than that affected by testosterone.

Latest posts

Back