Storing blades

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like using the fishing tackle boxes that Wal Mart has to store my blades. The dividers are adjustble which makes it nice to fit the size of each blade. Very inexpensive too.
default_yes.gif
: Mary

We spray ours real good with WD40 and keep each size in a big baggie in the tack trunk. Kind of lazy maybe but has worked okay to date..

Clean them, oil them, and put them in the (hard shell) carry case.

I store my blades in a caddy for them. I do not stort them in oil or anything, just the caddy and they are fine. I keep them in the house especially in winter. If my blades are used and dull I leave them as is, as the next spring I send them out to be resharpened. If they have been resharped and unused, I leave them in the little plastic bag they came back in as there is always a little bit of clipper oil still on the blades. I have a couple pairs of blades that are now 10 years old and they work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I store my current 'show clipping' blades in one of those little round clipper caddys....with blade wash in it. The other 30 or so are fresh from the sharpener and are still wrapped and in zip lock bags.

I haven't bought new blades in about 5 years now, but I do find that the Andis blades hold an edge longer. I've been told (by a clipper sharpener) they are made of American steel and are harder. I have both Andis and Oster blades.

Charlotte

I use a big around pickle jar, like kosher dills come in, and I fill it about 1/3 full of blade wash, or enough to cover the blades. After using blades I wipe them down well to remove as much hair as I can and place them in the jar, close the top and next time they are ready to go. When the blade wash gets yucky I just pour it through a coffee filter and reuse if necessary.

The ones I send for sharpening I leave in the little bag they come back in and place them in a Ziploc freezer bag to protect them from moisture, etc. until I need them.

I use WD40 to lube the blades while I am working with them. I have some that I am sure are 10+ years old.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back