Stolen horse tortured/abused

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there were that many people present & not a one of them could call police then it's a really sad statement about how stupid and unfeeling people are. In my world out of a group of 40-50 people there should have been 10 of them that would step forward and yell stop this right now--but of course I know about mob mentality too. IMO all 40-50 people should be charged with the same charges as the "principals" in the case.

I'd heard tell that one rodeo rider now has a bodyguard (hired by daddy) to accompany him to the rodeos--don't know if that's true or not. I'd have more respect for daddy if he'd used the bodyguard's wages to pay for Dually's vet bill instead.

Last I heard the sheriff was saying they'd soon be making some arrests, but then the state attorney later said he had yet to decide what charges if any would be laid...that's starting to sound to me like this will be all swept under the rug.

I realize some states don't have much in the way of animal cruelty laws & maybe SD is one of these, but even if animal cruelty laws have no teeth, couldn't this be treated as theft?

Perhaps pro-rodeo people should pull out of SD completely now--and if this wasn't a case of a disgruntled competitor trying to get even or remove the competition, and Dually was just chosen randomly, wow, that's even more scary. If this deed is going to go unpunished then ALL horse people should boycott horse events there. Really, who wants to go to a show or rodeo in a place where something like this can happen without punishment? Money talks, and officials need to be made to take notice.

The warrents are still waiting to be signed.
default_no.gif

Dually however, is doing better. Wendy was able to lead him outside, and he was dragging her to patches of grass. However, he still has a long way to go, and it is still unsure if he will ever be able to compete again. Last I heard several different rehab places had offered their help, and they were looking into them, though far from home.

It is nerve wrecking at the big shows, where there are 500+ barrel racers. I HATE leaving our horses there, and we take every precaution you can, but in the end, you have to trust everyone else. The big shows usually have decent security, but when it comes down to it, if you act like you're supposed to be there, no on will say anything to you! Walk around the WBR, PAC West, AQHA World, the WPRA Futurities and races....you will notice that several of the "bit time" girls set up wireless security cameras and several hire security guards. With the money in those horses, you can't afford not to. But its really sad that it has come to that.

Rodeo is a tight nit community. . . and its really hard to believe that there are people out there that can do things like this.

Wish I hadn't read that, but did. Thoughts and prayers are with this special horse and her owner... There better be some arrests in this case and soon! No way an accident, I can see why people are outraged. :arg! :arg! :arg! Maybe law enforcement is just being extra careful. If they don't do everything by the book...then they could lose the case. And you want these folks off the streets!

Very sad equine events have come to this...with hiring security and such.
default_no.gif
But, you can't blame them if this kind of stuff is going to happen.

Get well soon Dually!

In my neck of the woods, I have seen 20 somethings chase down and deer and her fawn over a river bridge and then just run them down. I was too far back on the road to stop it. But let me tell you, I saw several cell phones hit peoples ears as we were behind the kids that did it. But by time the sheriff got there, the kids were gone.

It is really frightening to see our youth behave as if life had not meaning, even animals can feel pain.

Dually & his owner have my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery, and the judge to sign the warrants, but to go further, to make a huge case out of it to send a message to our younger population.

Hopefully when caught and charged......they will do do what they did to Tonya Harding......ban them for life from the sport.

I can imagine people feel pretty uneasy about leaving their horses over night at a competition, I do thats for sure. How many security guards are there for a big event like this one ? Shouldnt there be some kind of pass for people entering after hours? Is there a way to lock a gate with a pad lock that only the security gard and other owners of horses in the pen have ? I lock all my gates at night at home, because the mountain kids drink , and do stupid things like destroy other peoples property. I also keep my whip by the front door waiting for the first kid i find harrassing my ponys in the night. I lived at a 70 horse barn and watched over the horses at night....you wouldnt believe the idiots that drove up in the night, and this was a private equestrian center. Thank goodness at the time my husband was large , and when he told people to leave they did. I think I will be sleeping in my trailer at the next over night show. I find it impossible to believe that out of 50 people at a party no one knew this abuse was wrong. If this took place at a private address then fine the owners as well, and I would be all over the parents of the kids that did this... It will be great once the names are out in black and white. I would also agree that the whole lot should be punished.

Back