Stolen horse tortured/abused

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG. They should do worse to them.
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
The poor horse was innocent and trusting. They are worse than scum. Hope the horse will be okay.

HOLY CRAP!!! Thats horrible that someone could do that to a horse. I hope he can recover, even if he cant compete again, but to live.

It just amazes me what people can do to animals. These people actually live among us and can seem normal!
default_no.gif
Hope they catch who did this, but sad thing is, if they do they will probably get a slap on the wrist. The law does not take animal abuse seriously enough. Praying for a full recovery for Dually.

Dually is an amazing horse. I have ran at a lot of rodeos against him, and boy does he have heart. We are all hoping and praying that he will be able to pull through this. It is a really horrible thing to go through, and its even worse to know that fellow rodeo people did this to him. I just can not believe that they have not made any arrests, even though they know who did it.
default_no.gif

Makes you think that someone didn't want to have to compete against him so they ruined him by tearing up his legs
default_no.gif
Hope they drag them and suspend them between two trucks when they find the ones that did this

Before I finished reading the entire story, it was a NO BRAINER. And then the quote from the sheriff---

"The sheriff said he doesn't know if the abuse was intentional, or the outcome of bad judgment."

UMMMMMM........DUH........... Okay Mister Smart POLICE.........WHO THE HECK WOULD BOTHER STEALING A WINNING BARREL HORSE BUT A COMPETITOR??????? Seems rather interesting that the poor horse had injuries to his LEGS?????

UMMMMM DUHHHHHH!!!! Where do these police people grow from? Under a turnip leaf???? Good Grief!!!!

It shouldn't take much to interview the different competitors the horse and rider had.

(Sorry, but I don't have patience with Stooopid.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay......I'm calmer. And I realize the police are NOT the guilty party. I should be angry at the idiot who stole the poor horse in the first place. Hopefully the police will be SMART enough to put two and two together and be able to narrow the possible suspects down........and then NAIL the guilty Party TO THE WALL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that is just horrific! I pray the poor guy fully recovers and prayers to his owner too. What a sad statement of human behavior that someone could do this for the sake of competition. I hope they punish this guy to the fullest extent and then some. I know what I'd do but I can't publish it!

Reminds me of the dueling ice skaters , and the blunt force to the competers knee.... Yep, I d be interviewing all the competeters alright... This sicko needs to spend serious time in jail, I imagine once in jail the others will do the "payback" for us animal lovers. I hope his name is printed all over the web so we can verbally abuse him for the rest of his life .. because you know the police wont do anything serious about it. I think just getting his name out there will be enough to ban him from the rodeos . I wouldnt want a bunch of cowboys hating me . Not only is this guy cruel and inhumane , but he is STUPID !!! I think the cowboys will take care of him.

Minimor -- If you hear of an UPDATE on the story, please share it.

Today we took in three horses that WERE neglect cases......... Two are Thoroughbred and one is a Warm Blood..........All are big gentle giants. They need some pasture and we have it, so they're going to spend some time "plumping up". The Rescue Ranch was given our name by the county authorities.

All of these horses are beautiful, highly bred, and originally high dollar..........But the original owners were too proud to seek help until the authorities stepped in. Just don't understand that.
default_no.gif

In the paper today was an article about a horse turned loose in Nevada with the brand cut out of its hide - a 6 x 8 piece of hide gone and lert raw and bleeding!

I've heard no real updates--I just did another search & came up with nothing new--I'm hoping osu barrelracer might get more info on Dually's condition & come back here to post again.

I was hoping to see an update from one of the news sites that an arrest had been made. Sounds like "they" have a good idea who is responsible (the one news article I found said that when the deputy found the horse tied to a tree in a residential neighborhood there was somebody on the horse. The article didn't say anything further, nothing about whether it was thought that person was one of those responsible for the horse's condition or if this was more likely someone that had come across the horse & decide to climb on) but I suppose "knowing" and proving it are two different things.

I just hope they do end up making an arrest & getting a conviction--and that the persons involved will get more than just a slap on the wrist.

I know a few of you were wanting an update, so I can give you what I know.

There have still been NO arrests. The guys that are responsible for Duallys abuse, are STILL ENTERING PRCA RODEOS! If they don't arrest them soon, I'm sure there will be some cowboy justice at the next rodeo they are dumb enough to show their faces at!

Dually is still at the vet and Wendy is driving 180 miles every day after work to see Dually.

If you would like to send a card, you can send one to this address:

Ron & LuEva Halweg

Attn: Wendy and Dually

26180 403rd Ave

Mitchell, SD 57301

Also, if you want to make a donation (they aren't really worried about the vet bill right now, I'm sure that will be settled in court, but the long drive every day takes a toll) here are a couple options:

Dakota Large Animal Clinic

27199 475th Ave

Harrisburg, SD 57032

First National Bank South Dakota

Wendy Halweg-Duallys Benifit Account

210 N Lawler

PO Box 1366

Mitchell, SD 57301

Paypal-> [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
This sure goes against "the code" that I thought rodeo people had.
default_no.gif
I guess there's some in every group though. Stupid, stupid, stupid, to do this to a horse.

What goes around comes around & I hope they get theirs. I also hope that Wendy can get her vet expenses back in court.

I will continue to pray that Dually recovers well.

Thank you for those addresses.

Hugs sent to the horse and owner. I hope the horse recovers.My next hope is they dont give the guilty party a slap on the wrist. I hope they put this person or person away for a long ,long time.

Latest Newspaper update as of today

By David Montgomery

Capital Journal staff

Published/Last Modified on Monday, Jul 13, 2009 - 03:01:39 pm CDT

FORT PIERRE — Dually, the rodeo horse which was found injured July 5 after being taken from his pen at the Stanley County Fairgrounds, is still alive and slowly improving, owner Wendy Halweg said Monday.

“He’s recovering,” Halweg said. “The horse is not going to die. But his ability to ever perform again is in question.”

Halweg said Dually is still under veterinary care after suffering rope burns and cuts on his legs and face. Dually’s legs are still slightly swollen, Halweg, said, making it difficult

to tell how severe the damage is. Halweg said she remains hopeful Dually will be able to fully recover and compete again.

“It’s going to take some rehab, and then we have to go from there,” Halweg said. “It is going to take a lot of time, just like a person.”

No arrests have yet been made, Stanley County Sheriff Brad Rathbun said Monday morning. Rathbun said he is waiting for a judge to sign arrest warrants after giving his department's investigation to the state's attorney Friday.

It sounds like the wheels of justice are turning, if slowly--arrest warrants are good--can't wait to hear that they've actually made the arrests, and I hope the names get plastered all over the internet.

Good to hear too that Dually is improving.

OMG! Someone must have really wanted her horse out of the competition circuit up there to do that to it. How horrible! How disgusting!

On a sidebar - You know we will have to answer for our actions someday, not just here on this planet, but someday we will have to answer for our actions (including the treatment of animals!)

I know one of the kids supposedly involved and was shocked, he was a real likable kid. He was somewhat of a "no account" but had lots of personality. There is another from a "big wig" family that had part in it.

The reason this is one of those worst kept secrets is because this was done AT A PARTY, there was something like 40-50 people there and NO ONE stepped up, even if it was to call the police quietly. I mean what 20 something doesn't have a phone tattooed to their ear.
default_no.gif

I've talked to several people and Dually wasn't picked on purpose, sadly that part was random. As far as Cowboy's having a "code" well most of us do, just as I think most people are decent but there are some that always prove to be the exception.

Back