Stifle Problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
My friends horse has a popping noise when he walks; in his Stifle/Gaskin area, and when he walks you can hear it popping and you can also see it sort of like pop out of place or something, what could be wrong with him, locking stifle? He is I believe 31" and is 3 or 4 years old I believe?

We had a horse that would do the same thing and our vet said that the locking up was due to a tendon in the leg being to tight. He told us that there was a simple surgery that could be performed to stop the lege from doing that.

The ligament in question is actually too loose on a locking horse, which is why exercise is recommended to shorten and thicken it and scarring methods that thicken it are also attempted. Yes, this sounds potentially like locking stifle. Take the horse to a knowledgeable vet for a firm diagnosis before treating in any way. If it's some sort of injury and not locking, you could really hurt him trying to exercise him!

Leia

It may indeed be in the stifle - and should be evaluated by a vet - but I've seen plenty of horses who "popped" or clicked but never had a locking issue.

Jan

IF,,,IF it is truely a stifle problem a very good State Vet School says:

1. Exercise cures most of these problems

2. If this does not fix then they nick/slice the tendon to scare & shorten the tendon

3. IN EXTREME cases the will cut the tendon but should be seldom done;

normally plain daily exercise corrects a stifle problem

As suggested above an educated peson should determine that it is actually a stifle problem.

Good Luck.

Back