Stifle locked!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we went to the barn early this morning the filly was back to her self .She wanted out so bad to play. She has been doing great allday out . We are going to call the vet in the morning. We also noticed she hocks in a little and toes out. I have called the farrier to see when he can come .We are hoping the combo of two week stall rest and other factors are the cause this time.We will work with the vet and farrier and do alot of praying..... I want to thank everyone for help!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you are anywhere near Ft Worth, but there is an equine myofascial release therapist in Ft W - fairly close to the Will Rogers complex. Myofascial Release is body work which will release the fascial system (which causes tightness and restrictions). It is great for any horse (or human/animal) and I would particularly recommend it for one that is having issues.

When we went to the barn early this morning the filly was back to her self .She wanted out so bad to play. She has been doing great allday out . We are going to call the vet in the morning. We also noticed she hocks in a little and toes out. I have called the farrier to see when he can come .We are hoping the combo of two week stall rest and other factors are the cause this time.We will work with the vet and farrier and do alot of praying..... I want to thank everyone for help!!!!!
I have seen many horses with legs such as these have a tendency to have stifle problems. Your filly may have a poorly built hind end. Do you happen to have a picture of her?

IMO the two weeks of play/rough and tumble with a second foal in a 30 x 30 space, could well have worsened an 'area' (stifle) that was already compromised in some way. Great to hear that she is better now and happily outside. Dont let her outdoor space be restricted to less than that 1/2 acre and if you have to bring her in for a short while, then I would recommend giving her the 30 x 30 on herself if possible and keeping her companion next door/visible. Is her companion another filly or a colt?

A lot of foals are slightly hock in toe out (better than the other way round) and even up quite naturally as they mature and become more muscled.

I wouldn't give up on your foal yet for its show career. I have a gelding that had stifle surgery in both back legs before I bought him and now he is in training to drive and is doing fine physically.

I used to have a problem with locking stifles on my little ones... No they were not related. My farrier would not listen and kept telling me it was because "minis are so inbred that they just have lots of problems like this". Finally I tried another farrier because I was tired of being told what trash minis were. The new farrier did minis only. My guys all of the sudden quit fighting getting their feet done, and stopped locking/sticking stifles. He explained to me that the other farrier was used to big horses and was holding up their legs too high. No more fighting, and no more locking, hmmmmm.... Just a thought!
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back