Stiff Hindend?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I have a coming 4 year old gelding who I have been noticing since his 2 year old year to have very stiff hind legs. I'm not sure out its his stifles or hocks, but I have a half brother of this gelding who is a dwarf with the same stiff legs.

Any input? I have him up for sale as I would like to show and drive, and I don't think he'd be a good candidate at all.

I have one that is stiff on one hind leg that is cow hocked. She walks with that one out to the side kinda but when she is trotting and running it is where it should be. I had her x rayed and they couldn't find anything wrong with the stifles or hocks etc. But I did have a farrier malfunction for a long time that I feel contributed to the problem a lot. I changed farriers a couple of hundred times until I found one I thought was sane. I also give her msm and it certainly makes a difference now but boggles the mind. I sold her as a pet quality but she is boarded here. I think being out a lot helps also.

Have you tried giving banamine or other pain reliever and seeing if it makes a difference? Sometimes this helps to figure out if he is in pain or it's just his natural way.

Do you have access to an equine chiropractor? You might get some insight from that.

I have not used banamine or any type of pain reliever on him. I do think that is has to do with his conformation or possibly pain.I have a vet appointment on the 16th, and hopefully I can catch him on one of those days, and show my vet.

Here's his latest conformation picture from July.

1012437_504040089682538_1861359627_n.jpg

I would guess it is conformational. His hind leg(s)appear too straight('post-legged'), and he also appears shallow/weak through the stifle...both would likely contribute to restricted/poor movement, in my opinion. I believe you are correct in your thinking that he probably wouldn't be a good driving prospect.

Margo

I would guess it is conformational. His hind leg(s)appear too straight('post-legged'), and he also appears shallow/weak through the stifle...both would likely contribute to restricted/poor movement, in my opinion. I believe you are correct in your thinking that he probably wouldn't be a good driving prospect.

Margo
That's what I was thinking as well, but I'm horrible at hindend conformation and couldn't describe it. This really bums me out since I wanted to use this boy as a driving buddy, however I think I'm going to sell him as companion to somebody. He's a great boy, but I need to downsize and focus on just one show mini; and I've chosen my weanling.

Is there anything that I could do with him? (Other than halter, trail, and showmanship) He cannot stand in hand, boring classes like those. He LOVES to trot and jump. I would love to keep him and get him fit. Could that possibly help him?

default_sad.png
I would love to keep him, but unfortunately have too many "lifers" in my herd. This boy would be great for a little kid to boost their self esteem with horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a mare that when her back starts bothering her she walks spraddle legged and stiff, get her back worked on and she is good to go and is an excellent driving horse. In this picture he is standing with his hind legs out behind him, yes he seems a little straight but I think its exaggerated by his stance. I would bring him up a bit more square and then see where he is. I would get him checked by a chiro before completely ruling him out as a driving horse.

Karen

I think one should not jump a horse with a weak hindend or do maneuvers that ask for pivots. He can live a long life as a companion, but, IMHO, if one asks him to do athletic things it may cause him long term problems. Not every horse was born to be an athlete.

By the look on his face, he seems to be looking inward, as though he is uncomfortable. Try a dose of banamine, and see if you notice a difference in his expression. If he is in discomfort, his eye will become softer, more outward-looking. Some horses are very philosophical about discomfort; if it has been a part of their life for a long time, they accept it.

I have tried the banamine experiment with a few horses and it is easy to tell if it makes a difference.

I have one that is also stiff behind. Her conformation isn't bad, but she's a little high butted and straight legged (not quite post legged, but straighter than I'd like). We have spent two years trying to figure out why she's not moving well (or like she did as a 3 year old, when she moved much better). She's had surgery on both stifles for stifle lock and recovered well.

Here's what we've found - she's incredibly tender footed. Any hard ground, gravel, etc. makes her "ouchy". I've had big horses like that and we just shoe them, but can't shoe the mini. So the more she's worked, the more she shortens her stride because her feet hurt, and tightens up her hip and back. She actually at one point had a rounded back from inflammation that we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. After lots of "try this, try that" here's what we found works.

She gets Masterson method massage weekly during show season, and the day of the show, special emphasis on her hip. Worked either in shoes (build a bear) or in sand only. 1/4 gram bute to show, if the show arena is packed, or has any rock in it (sand is ok).

She drives, jumps, halter obstacle, showmanship, etc. She's great for small kids because her attitude is incredible. She's not National quality for driving, but she can hold her own at the local AMHR shows, and in fact is only 7 points from her WCP Hall of Fame.

Just some thoughts. Every horse has conformation flaws. If they can work comfortably, to me that's what's important. I wouldn't want to have them doing something that puts them in pain, but if I can alleviate the pain and not cause any damage, then that horse will have a job, and more importantly, a future.

edited to add - She did make 4th place in youth WCP 13-17 under on one card at Nationals this year, so it isn't as though she's not a quality driving horse, just not quite where she's going to come in the ribbons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I would update this. I had Pete up for sale, and have since 2010/2011, and I was not expecting him to be bought at all. Well. He left for his new home on Saturday. So. I guess this question is moot point now. But hopefully it'll help others!

Latest posts

Back