step by step process preparing your horse for the show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
Our 4 H club would like a step by step list for making sure they do everything they can to have their horse "show ready".

There are all the obvious steps of bathing and clipping, but the people on this forum who show a lot must have some "tricks of the trade" that they might share with us.

For instance, I read somewhere that using carpet pet stain remover will get the yellow out of a white tail?

I was hoping by using the synergy of the forum, you would provide lots of ideas that I could incorporate into a list for the kids.

It would be good to also have things on the list that they "should not" do.

Any responses would be appreciated, even if it's just 1 or 2 points to remember.

My 4H kids are getting excited about the second year of this new club.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank you so much
default_saludando.gif

I have some articles on my website ("About the Breed") which you are free to use if you want.

Andrea

I have had much practice with whitening tails- here is what I do..and is fun for the kids as it fizzes.

Wash tail with whitening bluing shampoo- ie "Quiksilver" make a good one.Let sit for at least 5 minutes. Rinse well.

Empty a box of baking soda onto the tail. It will get all cakey and messy but masge it all in well. I then add half a bottle. It fizzes like crazy! I think this is what helps to get out any stubborn pee or grass stains. Let sit for 5 -10 minutes. Rinse VERY well.

Condition with a top qulaity conditioner. I like Healthy Haircare. Rinse and towel dry.

Then, for the finale, I use an entire bottle of Fancifull rinse in "White Minx" color. It is in a pink and grey bottle form the drugstore. Don't rinse, just let air dry. That is the whitest tail ever and fun to do!!!

Our 4 H club would like a step by step list for making sure they do everything they can to have their horse "show ready".
There are all the obvious steps of bathing and clipping, but the people on this forum who show a lot must have some "tricks of the trade" that they might share with us.

For instance, I read somewhere that using carpet pet stain remover will get the yellow out of a white tail?

I was hoping by using the synergy of the forum, you would provide lots of ideas that I could incorporate into a list for the kids.

It would be good to also have things on the list that they "should not" do.

Any responses would be appreciated, even if it's just 1 or 2 points to remember.

My 4H kids are getting excited about the second year of this new club.

Empty a box of baking soda onto the tail. It will get all cakey and messy but masge it all in well. I then add half a bottle. It fizzes like crazy! I think this is what helps to get out any stubborn pee or grass stains. Let sit for 5 -10 minutes. Rinse VERY well.
Add a half bottle of what?

Very well done, Kendra!

The ONLY thing I think I would add would be....if it's the first show of the season, the horse looks best if you can body clip it two to four weeks prior, and then do a SECOND clip a day before leaving for the show. Just from our personal experience, our horse's coat comes out looking better with each clip job.

Last edited by a moderator:
chandab a half a bottle of what???? Thanks, TJ
That's what I asked in my post. I have no idea. Waiting for Nicmac74 to respond. [i'm thinking maybe vinegar, as it would fizz if added to baking soda, but I really don't know and don't want to add the wrong thing.]

Sorry!Left out a very important part.
default_oops.gif
It is approx. half a bottle of white vinegar!!Use more if you need to..it is not an exact science. So sorry it took me so long to get back to both of you. I was out of town for a few days. It does work very well..if you have the time. If in a rush, obviously the Quiksilver gets it nice and white but...with these extra steps..wow!It is a shimmering white like no other!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry!Left out a very important part.
default_oops.gif
It is approx. half a bottle of white vinegar!!Use more if you need to..it is not an exact science. So sorry it took me so long to get back to both of you. I was out of town for a few days. It does work very well..if you have the time. If in a rush, obviously the Quiksilver gets it nice and white but...with these extra steps..wow!It is a shimmering white like no other!
Thank you. You had us waiting with baited breath... I have 4 with white or silver tails (and two are bad about peeing on their tails, so very yellowed/stained), so this is a must try come warm weather.

Great thread and perfect timing, with shows starting up soon for us newbies
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back