Stalloin fertility question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsehug

Reaction score
This is not a topic about "Should" you breed a stallion at a certain age or not. We have had plenty of those
default_smile.png

I am just curious if many have had a stallion who was not fertile at 3 years old but went on to be fertile at a later age.

Thanks!

Susan O.

This is not a topic about "Should" you breed a stallion at a certain age or not. We have had plenty of those
default_smile.png

I am just curious if many have had a stallion who was not fertile at 3 years old but went on to be fertile at a later age.

Thanks!

Susan O.
We had a stallion (large horse) who was just not ready to breed, even early in his three year old year but went on to do just fine as a four year old. He just was too immature to get the job done at such a young age. Don't give up just yet. It may still happen for you!

Have you had an analysis of his semen done? That would be step one, in my book. If he is not capable of producing a pregnancy, he may just be prepubescent and late to mature. Due to genetic programming or nutrition, the hormones may just not be there yet. This is mainly controlled by the pituitary gland, which is divided into two portions. The posterior pituitary and and anterior pitutary.

The anterior pituitary is in charge of the reproductive nature of the horse through the production of follicle stimulating horsemone (FSH) and interstitial cell stimulating hormone (ICSH). Both hormones are carried through the bloodstream to the testes. The FSH stimulates the production of sperm cells and the ICSH causes the Cells of Leydig to produce testosterone. Maybe he is just 'slow to go' maturity wise and isn't yet producing the hormones in quanities that allow him to breed.

Does the horse exhibit signs of maturity as a stallion? Are you seeing the greater muscle mass, a more defined crest, changets in his haircoat, and changes in his voice? Is he showing signs of having a sex drive? Ours wasn't until his four year old year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back