Stallion neck after gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky Horat

Reaction score
We recently bought a 4yr old Mini Stallion. He is refined except for his typical stallion neck. My question is when we geld him this Fall, does that help the cresty neck? Or it's not likely to change after gelding?

Yes, that should make a difference, but also, if you haven't already looked into it, think about trying a low carb / low starch feed pellet. That has made a big difference in our horses, including our mature stallions. Good luck!

My boy was gelded at 10. He had a typical stallion neck. Now he has a much smaller crest and his neck is much less "thick" and actually he looks much more refined in the neck now that he is a gelding. He is gorgeous. Took a little time, it has now been 3 years but I noticed significant changes in the first year and I would say he now has a nicer neck than a typical neck on a horse gelded early, but not as thick as when he was a stallion. Hope this makes sense. I also feed a pelleted supplement, like triple crown or enrich 32 with his fine grass hay. When exercised regularly his neck develops a nice arch and looks even better, but that super thick stallion neck is long gone. Gelding in my honest opinion made him even prettier, although as a stallion he was gorgeous too... Loved him both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back