stallion leasing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood Farms

Reaction score
HI,

I have 2 stallions I will be leasing out, and I am wondering how you have done this. One is going long distance, and the other is staying local.

I know about doing the leasing contracts with AMHA and AMHR,and of course transport to and from my farm. Also they will have to keep up with medical bills, farrier, worming, ect. Do you charge a leasing fee? What else do I need to do?

thanks

ALicia

Unless you are doing this as a favor to yourself (make room, have fewer boys around etc) I would definitely charge a lease fee.

I would also insist that they have full coverage (including medical) on the stallion.

Not much experience with leasing but the little bit I have had was with both horses remaining here and they trained and worked with them at our facility.

Going "off farm" I would want to be sure they were insured for their value should a tragedy occur and the insurance would be at the expense of the person leasing.

I guess you would want to lay out care and feeding instructions so no one could claim any misunderstanding of your requirements.

I am sure there are a ton of details that could easily be missed. Hopefully some of the knowledgeable people here can help you.

thanks Genie and Ruffian.

I am suprised more people have not leased horses on here. I really need more suggestions please.

Alicia,

Without a doubt, demand FULL insurance be taken out on both stallions payable to YOU. As far as charging for leasing the stallions, thats between you and the individuals! Good luck and how's Frenchie??
default_saludando.gif

I have leased before and I was charged a fee and had to have full coverage insurance. We did send in the paperwork to the registry so I could do all stallion reports, saying horse was leased in my name. I have also leased before where all that was required was all care and insurance was optional but if something should happen then a set price was to be paid. So really as cheap as insurance is it is better to at least require that!! All care and upkeep was my responsibility. Hope that helps!!!

As others have said, the lessee should pay for insurance (mortality, major medical, surgical AND fertility) just in case something happens. It's up to you what you charge for his "services" but you can say n $ per each mare listed on the stallion report, or n $ for each mare confirmed in foal, or n $ flat fee for as many mares as they wish. It's really up to you. Then consider how you will handle the LFG (if there is one) meaning will the mares come to your place next year if no live foal? Will the lessee be allowed to invite outside mares in? If so, who will set that fee and how much of it will you get? How will that LFG be handled? I stongly encourage you to require all the mares he breeds to have a clean culture and cytology prior to breeding them. You don't need your stallion bringing any STDs back to your place.

As with any business dealing, and this IS a business deal, unforeseen things can happen and people can and will get their feelings hurt, be disappointed and misunderstandings can happen. You may want to consider a clause in the contract that prohibits any negative public comments regarding your stallion(s) and/or farm.

Just some thoughts. Good luck. Feel free to PM me or email me if you have other questions as I've leased out horses before as well as leased horses for my use.

Latest posts

Back