Stallion falling over- help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooper scooper

Reaction score
I came home form work and found my stallion standing strangely. When I went to him, he almost fell over. He had recently had a runny nose so I had kept him in an a small paddock for about a week but he never coughed or ran a fever. Today was the first time he was out in his larger pen. He has no fever but when he tries to walk he acts as if he is drunk. I put him in a stall and gave him hay and a bran mash which he is eating just fine. He has pooped but not peed since i came home 2.5 hours ago. I gave him a shot of banamine and one of penicillian. I will take him to the vet tomorrow but has anyone seen this before? He seems stiff in the rear end and has twice actually fallen over and immediately springs up. It is like he has vertigo. Any ideas??

Several years ago I had a yearling filly exhibiting the same symptoms you describe. She had no fever, ate and drank fine, and the plumbing all worked fine, but she acted like she was drunk. Staggered, and kept her head down all the time. We immediately took her to our vet, and he couldn't figure out what the problem was. Said all he knew to do was treat the symptoms. He drew blood, and as an afterthought sent off a test for West Nile. When we left her that night, I didn't think she'd see the light of day, but she survived the night, and in 3 days you couldn't tell anything was ever wrong with her! A week later the WN test came back POSITIVE! Not saying that's what your stallion has, but it wouldn't hurt to mention it to your vet. They don't always have fever! Good luck with your boy. I know how hard it is to have one sick!

My first thought is WN although it could be many other things - but this time of year when the mosquitos are thick it is the first thing I would guess

I was wondering, could a horse get WN and recover from it without treatment or would it just simply die from it? The reason I ask is that my yrling filly has stumbled a few times to the point of falling over for no reason at all. She has done it 3 times that I am aware of. Twice last yr and once this spring. It only lasted about a miniute or two but never ever thought of WN. Just called her a blond lol. But I did freak out a little when she did it the last time...

I would definitely be calling my vet out for an emergency fee. West Nile Virus requires some pretty intensive treatment to be effective.

What about EPM? Doesn't that often affect coordination? There are just so many things it could be. Poisoning, etc...

Good luck, hope it turns out well... Let us know...

Andrea

I just came in and really appreciate all of you taking the time to tell me your thoughts. I will have him at the vet in the morning. He is eating, pooping, and peeing. He is still stumbling around. I gave him his shots in the spring including WN but I too thought of that possibility. I am in south Utah and it is so dry here but it only takes one bite. I don't think it is poison as his paddock is mostly dirt with a few weeds that I know are not a problem and if it was a spider or snake than there would be swelling and soreness which there is not. I am baffled.

Well, I've had the same thing here about two weeks ago. A mare with a foal at her side didn't look right when I went out to feed so I haltered her to bring her up to the house where I could see her in the light. She tripped over me the whole way. Got her to the backyard and she was stumbling, crossing her legs over each other and she went down a couple of times. Called the vet, not available so had to use a back-up (a group I'd not used before and won't again - but that's a whole different thread!). The mare never did have a fever, was hydrated, ate, drank, pooped, peed, etc. Her heart rate was between 44 and 54 all the times checked. She had a fort dodge 5 way in May and is up to date on worming.

Vet did CBC, fibrogen (sp?), triglycerides and EPM. All negative. ALL. I treated her as if it was an injury to her spine/head/etc. She got banamine for 4 days, and got 2 treatments of IV DMSO (helps with inflamation if there is any around the spinal cord). It's been two weeks and she's still living in my back yard and if it weren't for the fact that her tail head is so loose it's like it's not attached, I wouldn't know anything had been wrong with her. Personally, in my case, I'm going with the neurological (due to injury), but I will probably never know. And maybe the muscles that make the tail work will recover as it appears other muscles have, but maybe not. Her tail is looser than any mare about to foal I've ever felt. Which means I must keep fly spray on her at all times because the flies have figured out her tail only swishes a little.

It was very scary. To see a horse stumbling around just like they are drunk - falling down, tripping over themselves - it's horrible to watch and it's a very helpless feeling. She's only a 29" mare, but when she's trip, there was nothing I could do to stop her from going down. Believe me, I learned the hard way and have the bruises to prove it.

PS: we also discussed nutrional deficiency, like calcium since she's got a baby at her side, but nothing showed in the tests and after the vet looked at my pasture, hay and went through my feed plan, we didn't think that was it. Guess anything is possible, but nutrition seemed unlikely in this case.

Sorry, one more thought. I never got to discuss this with the vet because it didn't really hit me until after about the 3rd day, but when I would go to give her a treat and she would turn her head to sniff it, her head would shake in quick, short movements as she took the treat. Kind of like a seizure, but just in the head area. She stopped doing that at about day 7 and doesn't shake her head or twitch her ears unusually at all.

I hope you get some answers, but be prepared to never really know. Hopefully he will recover fully and quickly.

I haven't been on here in quite awhile, when I saw the picture in your profile I think my heart stopped!!!! I immediately thought of EPM. I had a mare years ago that I got from California that came down with it. Do you have Possums up there?? The only way to accurate way to test for EPM (at least a few years ago) was with a spinal tap. The vets at the Equine Hospial that I spoke with said, "it wasn't worth testing" as if the horse just shifted its weight they couldn't get a reliable sample. So they would just treat the horse and see if that helped. They did run the tests for other things but said the medicine for EPM wouldn't hurt a horse if the horse didn't have it but needed to get it started as soon as possible.

PLEASE let me know what the vet says tomorrow!!!!

Robin

I was wondering, could a horse get WN and recover from it without treatment or would it just simply die from it? The reason I ask is that my yrling filly has stumbled a few times to the point of falling over for no reason at all. She has done it 3 times that I am aware of. Twice last yr and once this spring. It only lasted about a miniute or two but never ever thought of WN. Just called her a blond lol. But I did freak out a little when she did it the last time...
MindyLee, whatever is wrong with your filly I think it's safe to say that it isn't WNV. If she had WNV last year when you noticed her tripping a couple of times, it would not have lasted through to this year & cause her to be tripping this spring. WNV symptoms last a few days--generally you know within 48 hours of starting treatment if the horse is going to live or die. Without treatment it might go longer, but not for several months. The horse would either get much worse or would be recovered in a matter of days--it isn't the nature of the disease to cause an extended term of illness/symptoms. A seriously affected horse can have residual problems--but any horse that was still showing periods of incoordination months after the initial infection would have shown serious symptoms initially.

With the runny nose could it be an inner ear problem? Infection or something? I guess there would be a fever with it but was just wondering.

With the snotty nose first, it could be the neurological strain of rhinoneumonitis.

Whatever is causing his ataxia, the sooner a vet sees him, the better the chances they'll be able to help him. Good luck and let us know what the vet says!

PTL!! Good news. The vet said it was not biological and thought it was neurological. Yesterday a friend, who is a massge theropist, came over and adjusted Dioablo's back and he loved it! She felt the knot in his back and released the tension. He immediatedly felt better and walked around the stall like normal!! She is coming back on Sunday to adjust him again. I talked to the vet and he thinks Diablo either ran into the fence playing Mr Stud with the colts in the next pen or possibly just messed it up bucking and playing. Either way I have my little guy back and out of pain. I will continue the banamine for another day and will keep him in a small padock for a while to make sure he doesn't do it again but I am sooo happy! Thank you to all that responded. I think I will be having my friend out to check several of my other horses!

That is great news!!!!!!!! I am glad your boy is back to himself...I had a mare stumble like she was drunk, fall down once and thrash her legs a couple years ago..scared the bageebies out of me...she got up and was fine...watched her like a hawk but has not had an episode since...weird...they sure do give us a fright sometimes tho...anyway..happy for you!

That's great news!!! I'd been checking back to see how he's doing and I'm so happy to read your post
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

That's definitely good news. Good for you having a massage therapist check him out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that is great!!!! Am so glad he is doing better! He must have really been hurting and pinching something!

Latest posts

Back