Spring's first clip

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't see any bad weather in the forecast, so decided to bathe and clip Dapper Dan today. My husband thinks it is animal abuse to clip the horses, but I was so tired of the beard and shaggy legs. It will be easier to watch for ticks now, and I wanted to make sure there was no fungus growing under the hair. But it makes me nervous to take his hair off.

Every year I have to decide how much bridle path to cut. His mane does not lay over nicely at the top, so I generally trim it back about 6-8 inches. I didn't have the nerve to cut off his mohawk today, though. Left his whiskers , too. Also left most of the hair on his ears, as we've had those tiny flies already.

I don't know why it stresses me out to clip them.

I know exactly why it stresses me to clip them- it's still FREEZING here!
default_shutup.gif
This is the time of year I naturally trace clip and that particular compromise works well for me until the weather is much warmer in May. Unfortunately the first shows are in April so off the coat goes, and my horse spends the next month shivering and bundled up so tight I see less of him than I did when he was furry.
default_rolleyes.gif
As far as I'm concerned leaving his little legs and ears naked in 50 degree highs is animal cruelty. I'm so bad!

The beard and shaggy legs don't bother me but the big bald patches they rub on their necks and the intense sweating when they play sure do.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
It stresses me out cause I'm the one that ends up with their hairs in my mouth, up my nose, and down my cleevage!
default_wacko.png

I do know why I get nervous about it:

1. I suck at it.

2. It gets me down in my back.

A few weeks ago I could not stand it any longer and we had a lovely day in the 70's. Little "Sunny" , last years only foal that ended up having leg surgery at A & M. let me shampoo her. I then began clipping and the fight was on. I knew that she could not be "fat" liked she looked. But there were several inches of buffalo hairdo on her belly. She is actually a lovely shiny dark seal color under all the shaggy red, has no pot belly, ribs show slightly but she is not boney, and has a coronet on one leg. I never finished the trim. Her face is partway done. I did just enough damage to make her look like a masked bandit. The legs are still real hairy. We have had some cooler weather since. I did it too early. Except for a few nights I have stalled her to stay warm. Even had to put a blanket on her and hang a heat lamp. She has such a lovely face. Can't wait to finish up what I started. Sort of.
default_no.gif

[SIZE=12pt]Oh, and don't forget the wind that is ALWAYS blowing in the wrong direction![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I think my guys appreciate their Spring clipping.[/SIZE]
default_smile.png

Back