Splash overo to Splash overo

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bred a buckskin roan to a bay roan and ended up with a BEAUTIFUL buckskin roan filly last year.

And did the same cross agin for a 2011 foal.

Never heard of roan on roan was leathel just the certian paint gene. (sorry dont know exact gene)

I bred a buckskin roan to a bay roan and ended up with a BEAUTIFUL buckskin roan filly last year.

And did the same cross agin for a 2011 foal.

Never heard of roan on roan was leathel just the certian paint gene. (sorry dont know exact gene)
Roan X Roan is NOT lethal, although it has been widely speculated that homozygous Roan is embryonic (not sure it that is the exact term or not) lethal. In other words, a homozygous Roan embryo dies so quickly that you never know the mare has conceived. Others argue that homozygous Roans are viable. If there are any homozygous Roans, they are certainly RARE. But, the main fact is that Roan X Roan breeding will NOT produce a foal that will die shortly after birth as the LWO will.

However, what many do not seem to recognize is that LWO mixed with other patterns can be easily hidden. A Roan may easily ALSO carry the LWO (Frame) gene and only exhibit some small bit of white on the face. Same is true for any other pattern. I recently posted a picture of a filly of mine that is obviously Tobiano with white marking in her face. I had her tested and she is LWO positive. I will never breed her to an LWO positive stallion as they would have a 25% chance of producing a lethal foal. TESTING IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! I believe that thread has been moved to the "Best of" Forum.

Hi can you breed a splash overo to a splash overo?

I just bought a splash overo mare and i'm looking to buy a stallion but want to make sure if I should breed to a solid colored stallion or can she be bred to a splash overo ,frame overo or sabino stallion?

I have heard some overo's being deaf so I dont want to produce any foals that are deaf..

So just curious to see what all of you have to say...

Thanks ..
This is the whole problem of calling Sabino and Splash "overo"

ONLY Frame carries LWO.

If your animals are tested free of Frame there is no danger of LWO.

I would have their hearing tested, though!

At the moment the jury is out on embryonic Roan lethality, as the test for Roan is not fully accurate, as far as I can see.

I am still pretty sure that, in some cases, it is, but I am equally sure that it is not so in all cases.

In order for the embryo to "die" (it actually never attaches to the womb wall and the mare comes back into season) the embryo does have to be H/Z. h/Z embryos are never affected, so there is no reason, Mindylee, why your foal should be affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Splash Overo, as everyone has said, is a totally different gene than the Frame (Lethal White) Overo gene. Only two horses that carry the LWO gene, bred to each other, have any chance of producing a lethal white foal. But, if your horse comes from a pedigree with Frame horses, has any blue in its eyes, or any white markings that might indicate the presence of the LWO gene, then it is best to test them before breeding them to any other horse that has not been tested to be LWO negative.

Splash is believed to be an ‘incomplete’ dominant pattern gene. The way the pattern is expressed depends on whether the horse is homozygous or heterozygous for the gene. Think of it similar to the way that you do the ‘Cream’ gene expressing itself. With Cream, one gene on a red horse (heterozygous) will give you a palomino, but two genes (homozygous) will give you a cremello. In a similar way, with Splash, there is a difference in the expression of the pattern depending on whether the horse gets one or two copies of the gene.

The other pinto patterns are considered ‘simple’ dominants; they can be fully expressed even if the horse is only heterozygous for the gene. There isn’t any difference in the likelihood of a wild pattern in a tobiano whether the foal is heterozygous or homozygous for the tobiano gene. Both have the same chances for having a lot, or just a little bit of white.

Splash is different. To get the wild splash markings, the horse has to be homozygous for the pattern*. If a horse is only heterozygous for Splash, it should show some kind of Splash characteristic, but not necessarily the body white. Splash characteristics can be blue eyes (or even just a tiny bit of ice blue in one eye), white face markings (even just a few white hairs), or some white on the lower legs.

If you breed an obviously Splash horse to a TRUE ‘solid’, you aren’t likely to get an obviously Splash foal. The foal will only be heterozygous for Splash, so will only have the Splash characteristics, not the full pattern. To get the full pattern, both parents would have to have at least Splash characteristics, although neither of them would have to be wildly marked. The parents might even be considered to be ‘solid’ if a person wasn’t looking for the characteristics. In these cases, a person might be surprised at getting a wildly colored foal out of two supposedly ‘solid’ horses.

An obvious Splash bred to another Splash patterned horse should give you 100% patterned foals. When bred to a true solid it should have 100% foals with Splash characteristics. Bred to a horse with characteristics only, you would expect to have 50% Splash patterned foals and 50% that will have characteristics.

The amount of white that you get with the pattern is variable, from minimal to almost all white, just as it is variable with a heterozygous or homozygous tobiano pattern. There are other factors that determine the amount of white that is displayed. The Splash, Tobiano, or Frame genes just determine the way/location that the white displays.

The Splash gene interacts with other Pinto patterns to often add more white and can increase the ‘wildness’ of the pattern displayed. Splash tends to put white on the face and lower legs, so can give a tobiano a blaze or possibly put socks a frame overo. If you are familiar with the way that Splash places color/white, you can also see the Splash influence in the body patterns on a horse that is also displaying the tobiano and frame patterns.

* (Note: The percentages, etc. may not ALWAYS hold true, as there are nearly always exceptions to any rule, but for the most part, colors and patterns should produce according to the ‘rules’.)

Lucky C Acres....Cristina I love your guy...To bad he isnt going to stay small..Both your stud colts are awesome...

It really dont matter to me what color foal I get as long as its healthy...Its hard to find a small nicely marked double reg stud in my price range and close to home...

That is true that is not nearly as common in miniatures.

Another problem breeding splash to splash is you will usually get an almost all white horse. Now if that is what you want no problem but if you DONT want mostly white horses dont breed splash to splash. I know a farm that did this (they didnt understand splash) and their entire foal crop was almost all white horses which can be a little hard to sell. Many horses carrying splash dont look like a typical splash so its easy to do

I have based my overo breeding program on breeding splash to splash and never had a problem. I haven't had any maximum whites or deaf horses. I did breed splash to sabino but I stay away from frame horses. The most white I have had is about as much as the horse in my avatar. Many of my mares look solid but have come from splash parents.
I've never heard of this either, and I've been studying pinto colors for some time. My stallion carries splash and he's been bred to mares that are splash, and every foal has had more color than white.

More likely some sabino genes were in play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky C Acres....Cristina I love your guy...To bad he isnt going to stay small..Both your stud colts are awesome...

It really dont matter to me what color foal I get as long as its healthy...Its hard to find a small nicely marked double reg stud in my price range and close to home...
I really don't think he's going to go over 32" if even that
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back