Sorry I haven't been around

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilfoot

Reaction score
Wow what a horrific return to the donkey forum....I can't even imagine

how Nikki is handling all of this. But we are stronger than we think.
default_yes.gif
:

So my news is odd.....we just received several rescue mini horses.

They aren't too bad, underweight, needing some TLC & stuff but the

odd part of this is....several are in foal....possibly to donkeys.

Luckily I'm a tad partial to donkeys & mules & hinnys
default_wub.png
:

So if anyone has any info or advice to share relating to particular

problems a mini mare might anticipate while in foal to a donkey

I'd love to hear. Foaling differences, bonding issues????

(I have experience with foals of each species but not combined.)

Thanks!

Sandy

default_pray.gif
: Sending good thoughts to Nikki & Petunia

Sandy we've only had the one mini mule born to us so far and still waiting on our first baby donkey (geez Taffy Jo, ANY TIME NOW would be good!!!!!), but i treated Eve just like i treat the horse foals... and she is awesome!! my "mom" Corinne will have more info on the hinnys though, and Shawna has had at least half a dozen mule babies... so hopefully they will see your post soon!

have fun and good luck
default_wub.png
:

The only time I've ever had a problem with a mare bred to a donkey and she rejected the foal was a maiden mare that hadn't been around anyone foaling at all. She and her mother were backyard pets that some friends bought and bred to my jack.

She foaled by herself but I went to check on her, not knowing it, and thought she was in labor. She had all ready had him and anytime he tried to get near her she kicked him. He spent the night in the house with me (born between 10 and 11 at night) and we fed him condensed milk to keep his strength up. At 6 I met the vet at the clinic and he gave me a tranq to give to the mare so we could let the foal nurse. She was so tender she wouldn't even let us touch her to milk her out. He got his first momma drink at 7am and then every hour after that. We had to halter the mare every time and hold her still but by 5 that evening she decided he was pretty cool.........at least until I bathed him and put a slinky on him!
default_rolleyes.gif
: :eek:

My other mares have never given a second thought to the smell or look of their longeared baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sandy...glad to see you back :bgrin I only had one problem jenny, she was a maiden...having a hinny, she gave 2 pushes and gave up. :eek: I did finish delivering the foal, without a problem..but she sure was no help :new_shocked: ,after the baby was born, she was the best Mommie out, and had plenty of milk, and loved her baby. She was very protective with him, and wouldnt let anyone except me near him for the first 48 hours but then she deceided to share him with all of us, :aktion033: so we all got our hugs in on him
default_wub.png
: That little dickens, is Snickers on my site. This jenny hasnt had any problems since. Donkeys are known to have a low tolerance for pain, especially it being her first. Sounds like your going to have your hands full.
default_yes.gif
: Corinne

Latest posts

Back