Why do we breed for mules

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
OK......this is a little long but maybe it helps.

I've received several inquiries as to why we breed the donkeys to mini mares. This is my answer:

First and foremost.......We like mules.

Mules (and hinneys) are capable of doing anything a horse can do. They are stronger, more durable, eat less, in reality more intelligent (sorry horses
default_yes.gif
: ), and for the most part much more loyal than any horse. A mule bonds to its trainer and will even protect them when in danger. They are less prone to illnesses, all though they can still get sick or colic, just less apt to occur.

Mules and hinneys are sterile. They can not reproduce. So no matter what they cannot add to an over population problem. Horses have 62 chromozomes, donkeys have 64, the hybrid ends up with 63. There have been a few VERY RARE cases of a mule mare (or molly) foaling but it is not the norm. The boys or Johns, are gelded (or should be) before they reach 3 months old. You really don't want the testosterone adding to any attitude they might have.

The mules (and donkeys) have a standard just like the horses do. They should be conformationally correct, balanced, straight legs/bites, good attitudes. The minis are allowed to be up to 48". This comes from the fact that typically a "mini mule" was created by breeding a standard donkey to a pony mare. We took it a step further and are breeding a miniature jack to miniature mares.

We show our mules in halter, obstacle, barrels, poles, and are now teaching them to cart. They have the same classes at mule/donkey shows as they do at horse shows.....it's just much more laid back. :bgrin You can ask a mule/donkey/hinney to perform but they just might not feel like it right then.

My jack has been Grand Champion donkey at all but 2 shows he has been in in the past 7 years, competing against standard and mammoth stock. The 2 shows he was beaten he was still Reserve Champion. The same jack beat him both times and it was a mammoth jack.

My mares are carefully selected for conformation and attitude. Color producers are nice but don't necessarily mean I will get color. The rules change when breeding hybrids.

Hope this helps. We mainly do it because we love the animal. I do try to sell them but I'm probably more particular about where my mules go than any of the horse breeders out there. I turnded down $2500 for last years mule because the situation just wasn't right. I do not intend to offend anyone, it just takes a special kind of person to love a mule.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a nice explanation. I learned alot about them that I did not know. Thanks!! :aktion033:

You go girl!!! I think it is great that you are breeding mini mules and I don't think you have to justify that to anyone but I am sure that educating people is always a good idea. Keep up the good work!!!

like the others said... that was a lovely expalanation, it makes me want a mini mule.....they sound lovely.... thanks, and just to say, isnt it odd how people always but in on your business????you dont have to justify yourself to anyone

[SIZE=14pt]Great explanation! :aktion033: I e-mailed this thread to a friend who raises mules![/SIZE]

Bill :saludando:

I love mules and am even considering getting a full sizer for trail riding!

Good Explanation..Really!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: hehe Mules gotta love them
default_wub.png
:

What a wonderful concise explanation Shawna. As one who is probably all done breeding I am very tempted to get me a mini mule.

I actually have been contemplating breeding one of my mini mares to a mini jack. I think mini mules are so cool!! My friend says....what would you do with them. Your thread really explains it well. My question is.....when mares have had mini foals, how do they react to a mini mule with its long ears and "different"look? Can you mix mini horse foals and mini-mule foals together?

Well gosh, people have been asking "what do you do with them" about minis for years, I guess you're just the new curiosity. I have always thought your mules were darling--and correct--thank you so much for the full explanation.

My question is.....when mares have had mini foals, how do they react to a mini mule with its long ears and "different"look? Can you mix mini horse foals and mini-mule foals together?
It is best to not use a maiden mare. It's enough "trauma" the first time anyway. Adding those LONG ears and the different smell can put the mare off. :bgrin I had that happen with the very first mule foal we had. It took almost 24 hours to get her to accept him. She had to be drugged to allow him to nurse but after a full day of holding her for him, she decided he was pretty cool and then became a wonderful mother.

All my foals run together. It does take each of them a little time to accept the other type but they do and they enjoy playing together. The biggest difference is that the mule foals have a different idea on what "playing" is. They play much rougher than any horse foal ever has. They tend to bite more and do the play fighting more than just romping around. Sometimes you worry a bit about how hard they do play.

So let me add this on the foals:

It takes a special mare to accept a jack. Not every mare will allow a jack to cover her. I have one that absolutely refuses. It also takes a special jack to cover a mare. Not all jacks will breed a mare. Mine was raised with mares since he was 1 and he had to actually watch
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: several breedings before he caught on.....

The foals have a different smell than a horse foal. They smell more wild. At times, it almost smells like an elk herd here. The mare generally will accept right away just because of the mother instinct. But I am ALWAYS there when the mules are born. Just in case. It also helps to imprint and get them used to humans right away. They learn to trust me from the first minute they arrive.

My uncle has would agree with everything you said in your explanation! He has had horses his whole life, and still does, but loooooves his mules!!
default_yes.gif
:

Shawna, GREAT explaination. I get asked that so often or emailed about my hinnys and HOW I get my stallion to brred the jennys...no big secret there either, my stallion loves his jennys, but it is harder to produce a hinny then a mule, most stallions dont like the smell of a jenny :bgrin but yet you really cant tell much of a differance between the mule and the hinny. The hinny has a more horse-like head. Corinne

Shawna,

Great answer and I was fascinated to learn more about them!

I'd love to stop some time on my way through New Mexico and see your little ones :)

Susan O.

Shawna, perhaps you should consider publishing an article or amll paperback book with your experiences, couldn't hurt!

My husband and I got to spend Christmas vacation with Shawna Dave and their kids! It was so much fun to see their special ones! These little ones are so lucky to be where they are!

You can see how they are loved! They are also so funny! You should know that not every horseperson can work with a mule or a donkey, they are really very different then horses,be around some before you decide you just have to have one. I think you need a lot of patience working with these animals..

And Shawna and Dave are some of the best people we have ever met

My husband is very shy and Dave and Shawna had him talking up a storm! In 40 years I have never had him be so comfortable with strangers! I spent a lot of time with my jaw dropping open, they are an incredibly,generous special couple.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

Their "kids" sure are cute!

Hugs

Bonnie

default_blush.png
: Awwwww! Thanks Bonnie.....you brought tears to my eyes.
default_wub.png
: We enjoyed having you guys here too! Had a wonderful time! Maestro (Majestic!!) really appreciates what you've done for him by the way.....he is ALMOST sane!

But you're right....it does take A LOT of patience to work with either mules/hinneys/donkeys. Go see them in person and spend some time with them first before jumping into owning one.

Any of you are welcome anytime to stop by and meet the kids. They LOVE to meet people.....just don't wear black
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thanks for sharing your response with all of us, I have admired your mules and now I have even more reasons for liking them!

Wish I were closer so I could come and visit.

Latest posts

Back