Neglect/Abuse just down the road

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was there, today, and saw all of the animals I originally saw.

At least one of them has been trimmed. The weather is better, so the animals aren't shivering (the ones with hair missing from rain rot).

It looked like the old Belgian (or young, didn't look in his mouth, but the skinniest/worst off in the stall) was down. I will look at that again, later.

I certainly don't spend hours over each horse, and am lucky to get a quick grooming in once a week in the "off" season, but I also do not let my animals get to that point.

It's very convenient for me to keep my binoculars in the truck and look at them every time I go to town and back.

The one donkey, yesterday, came out screeching and braying and ran right towards me, as close as he could get to the truck, when he saw me. It was like he was showing me his new, improved (trimmed) feet.

Made me feel happy, because the last time I saw him, he was in the picture I took above. I couldn't imagine him standing like that for even an hour, let alone the next 24 until they were likely trimmed.

Take care,

Liz

The Belgian, Dick, is old.

Rick is not purposely abusing/neglecting these equines, nor does he not know how to take care of them. He does, but his brand of care comes from the old-fashioned cowboy era. I am not trying to say this is ok, or trying to defend this brand of care (or lack thereof), just trying to let people understand more.

Furthermore, I do not know how often he himself is on the property, or whether he has an employee taking care of the equines much of the time. I suspect the latter, and I don't know how experienced these employees are when it comes to equine management. I feel Rick truly didn't know how bad off these equines were (are), and now that he's been on the property, changes will be seen.

Kari

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure do hope that is the case, Kari.

There has been more change in the past few days than there's been in months, there.

Sometimes a person has to realize they have far too many for the conditions/situation.

That number can vary. I see no sign that anyone lives there, which is probably tough on the old Belgian.

He looks like he needs a lot of care.

Liz

Latest posts

Back