Sooo....now what?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollynIvysMomma

Reaction score
So, as you may know, I have the two yearling mares I have had since October, and I recently (a month ago) bought a three year old gelding. I got the gelding bc I wanted to work a house now, and I knew that I couldn't work the mares yet bc they are still babies. I was also considering showing, and the girls are grade horses. Tucker, the gelding, is registered.

I know how to keep a horse healthy and happy. We worm and trim feet regularly. I feed hay and grass and good protein feed. They are handled daily, sit still for halters, come to you, stand for grooming, for clipping, for fly spray, etc. They do not nip, and will get out of your way when you walk towards them. They are not aggressive around their feed. They lead very well. They are all three very affectionate and laid back.

However, now that I have a horse to work, I realize...I don't know how! I would like to lounge him and eventually do jumps. I do not know about driving. I'd like to learn how to do the things I'd need to know for a halter, obstacle and jumping class. Does anyone have good books or videos to recommend? I cruised Amazon for books, but a lot of them had mixed reviews. I do not want to buy a book that is mostly grooming and just a little training, as I already have those. Any suggestions are welcome.

and, bc he is so darned cute, here is my boy.

10334427_10102487553055593_4431707150256421312_n.jpg
10345999_10102507862320663_1522161940607607088_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The first step is to know what you are training for. Have a goal in mind - and a reasonable one at that!

Youtube is your friend. Watch as many world show showmanship (all breeds!), obstacle, and hunter/jumper classes you can. The VERY first step is to see how it's supposed to be done.

Then, break it down. Don't start at the world show level! Pick the absolute easiest move out of all - I like to start with the basic turn on the haunches in showmanship - and MASTER it. Then, move on to the next hardest, and the next hardest, until you can do pattern! Get pattern books, see WHAT it is you need to teach then stress about training it. I think a lot of people forget those steps!

Good advice by FurstPlaceMiniatures. I like Patty Cloke's videos. They are well done and easy to understand. You can find them through different sites.

I think you should find a miniature club in your area and consider a mentor. Would be so much fun to be able to work with someone experienced

Absolutely find a miniature friend in your area! But if that's hard to do (trust me, I understand!) then YouTube & google will be your friends... along with Lil Beginnings! Use the search bar at the top to search for training methods for [discipline] or feeding for [discipline] etc. And if you are having trouble with that, I've found that using google and the words 'miniature horse' with whatever you are looking for will bring you to several topics here as well. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. Most people are happy to help. I've only had my boys since winter, and have learned so much by just asking what I was afraid was a stupid question!

Regardless of what your plans are, I would work on having Tucker understand your space, leading him without him pushing you, standing and not rubbing on you, etc. Also work on Whoa! Doesn't matter if you are never going to drive, it is (my opinion) extremely important to have brakes on any animal! Work on whoa, then stand/stand still. Could be helpful in the future, also a safety measure. Then you can start working on things like pivoting on the fore & hind & sidepassing. You can find many of these things on YouTube, maybe not with a miniature, but the principle is usually the same. Like FurstPlaceMiniatures said, break it down. You may only get one good step on a pivot, praise/let rest, then try again. Patience & consistency are your two best friends! Keep us posted on your progress. I can't wait to see more! Gasp! I can't believe I didn't start out with this: He is adorable! Look at that mane!

As to books/videos - there are quite a few out there. Several are carried by the mini tack stores that advertise here on Lil' Beginnings.

Or google "renting equine videos" and check that out. There are at least two places that rent out dvds/videos that you can later decide to purchase if you like it.. I can't think of the names of either at the moment.

Look up "giddy up flix". It's a DVD rental source for horse training and the like. Find the natural training DVDs by Pat Elder. They are great. You can get them and watch. If you like them enough, you can then buy a set for yourself.

Ditto on the "find a mentor" recommendation. You will never regret it, very rewarding. Self help is great for learning on your own, but having a real live trainer to work with is priceless.

Thanks for everyone's advice, and I just went online to Giddy Up Fix and I am in love! This is fabulous! SOOO many horse dvds to choose from, and a lot of these are videos I wanted to buy to try out, but they are kinda pricey to buy outright without knowing if it is helpful. THANK YOU! This is going to be my new favorite thing!

Glad giddy up flix helped! I'd also second, third, fourth everyone else's recommendation to find someone already "there" when it comes to training their miniatures. Joining my local miniature club was the best thing I did after getting my miniatures. Most of the club members live an hour or more away from where I do. Our club shows and meetings are also held between 1 and 2 hours away from me. Its worth it though!

Latest posts

Back