Something to think about

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mshasta88

Reaction score
Overpopulation is becoming a very hot topic, but it gets me to wondering. What will happen the registries if registrations from one year to the next are cut in half do to people no longer breeding?

Like I have mentioned in previous post, I have already exposed most of my mares but I’m considering not breeding any more back if they come back in. Then again I look at my small breeding program and it doesn’t compare to the farms that are still mass producing minis and on top of that there are many herd dispersals that are contributing to overpopulation.

To be frankly honest, I don’t think me not breeding is going to slow down the overpopulation as I only have between 2-5 foals a year where many other farms are having between 20-50 foals a year. I feel that my stallion and mares are of quality because most of them have been shown are national/world champion producers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the problem isn't it. Fewer foals means fewer registrations, loss money, someone posted how many foals were being registered each year and its amazing to see how much registrations have gone down in the miniatures but the ponies IMO are strong, this is AMHR of course we are talking about. That doesn't mean that there are fewer foals being born but I do believe more people are getting out of breeding or breeding less, but I think mostly breeders aren't registering the foals. Registrations aren't the only thing thats down, memberships are down, no new people are coming in but AMHR is trying to find a way to keep people from not leaving IMO by offering the $20 credit, transfers are down because not many people are buying as much as they used to, so for sure the registries are hurting the same as breeders are, but you have to hope for the best and continue on. I think shows are still strong, perhaps not as good as it once was but people are still showing and supporting its registry and the clubs and I feel Nationals will be very big this year!

I think in AMHR the hardship discount has really helped put money in the registry so ideas like this helps.

Here is my opinion on the whole breeding issue. And it will not be a popular one I'm sure. I believe that it is your right to choose to breed regardless of quantity. I believe that we should be breeding quality BUT if you look at old breeding, some of the nicest animals come from some pretty plug looking animals so who am I to say what's quality. Those animals were sturdy and had what it takes.

I can't give you examples in minis I'm WAY too new to it but I bet there's some hidden horses in pedigrees that people would scratch their heads and say WHY? There is a horse that was pretty popular around there, he's know for throwing some pretty plug headed animals, but he was the gr. grandsire of a champion. Go look up Pudden Head and Bob Acre Doc in the AQHA and you'll see what I mean. Pudden Head looks like a plug. Honestly he does. But most everybody in the cutting industry knows Bob Acre Doc and if you don't well your head's under a rock. Granted it's a small portion of his pedigree but it's there and it's part of what makes that horse. This is just one example I can think of that I know allbreedpedigree has pics of both horses ;) This is why you'll never see me give a critique on 'breeding quality' I can point out faults but I'm never gonna say oh no...NEVER breed that animal, even if it's grade I'm not gonna say that. To each his own. I didn't even registered my gelding. He's a grandson of the old mare I just lost and from the moment he hit the ground I knew he wasn't going anywhere. He's got a great bloodline and probably should be registered but why? I can compete NRHA without his AQHA papers and that's all I care about.

People talk about 'backyard breeders' in a negative light yet some of my best horses have been raised in my backyard with bloodlines people have never heard of yet I knew many of the horses on that pedigree and liked every single one of them.

People talk about registrations, but what are they really? a record of lineage and an organization to provide shows. Lineage is fine and dandy but as I'm mentioned before there aren't enough mini shows locally for it to benefit me so I don't particularly care about the registrations either. I'm registering my boy because I can but I doubt it will ever be more than a slip of paper.

People talk about spaying and neutering dogs and limiting breeding, yet the small breeder is the one who is most effected but who is gonna raise the better puppy. There's a photo that was floating around on FB that shows a 'Inspected' facility vs a 'backyard breeder' that brings this home for me. The backyard breeder raises the pup in the home with interactions with the family, kids playing etc. And the 'Inspected' facility that meets all govt regulations is rows and rows of cages...a puppy mill. Which one do you think makes the better dog?

So my response after all those thoughts is: do what you want! and live with the choices.

My point being, breed for the traits you desire and commit yourself to that foal providing it the best opportunity and preparing to keep it if it doesn't sell. If you can't provide for it well that's when I say don't breed. My family and I bred QH's for years, going on 20 years for me personally, my dad has 50+years in it, and we always bred with the intention of keeping the foal if we couldn't sell it. I treat them as mine from day one and I work on the ones intended to sell as hard as the ones I always intended to keep. Sometimes I end up liking them better than I thought and I keep those too! lol. We saw this market coming LONG ago downsized before the markets went belly up (about 4 or 5 years ago.) We'd like to sell a few (3 of the younger ones would do it, the older ones are here to stay) but we're not giving them away either so here they sit, just getting better as we do more and more with the price going up, so when the right home comes along or the market does recover they'll sell just like they always do and those homes they go to will be better than the cheapskates who insults your quality animal because they wanted to buy a well trained horse for next to nothing. And yes I've had a guy offer $700 for one of my winning reining geldings...who by the way is another lifer anyway, but what a @#$% to insult me like that. The horse is easily worth about $20,000 even in this crappy market, more in a better market. If I had less impulse control I'd have probably decked him out cold or chased him off the property
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

You are right, My minis get interaction with many different people everyday where as I have been too many farms that have mares they can’t catch. I’m not going to halt my breeding program because everyone else is bailing out. I to recently had someone offer me $4000 for my barrel horse that was professionally appraised at over $10,000. Besides being insulted, I would never sell that horse in a million years. In fact she just had her one and only foal for me this year so I have something like her to race in the future.

The extended poor economy is continuing to have a trickle down affect on EVERYONE.......so of course the registries are going to feel it too.

The term "back yard breeders" is an insult to SMALL BREEDERS who only have one to five foals a year and pour a lot more individual time on their mares and the foals that the "big breeders" do. EVERYONE is being hurt, but I see the small breeders either not breeding or cutting back drastically. I'm not sure where we fit in, but we used to have 10 to 15 foals a year. This year it's 6.....and next year even less.

Each of us has to try to make wise individual decisions about what is best for our animals, the breed, and our pocket book.

I personally don't consider a backyard breeder a small breeder that breeds only 1-5 minis a year. I consider a backyard breeder to be one that breeds so many mares to try and make a $ and doesn't care if the horse is registered or not.

The term "back yard breeders" is an insult to SMALL BREEDERS
Agreed. A few breeders do come across like they're the only ones who should be breeding and anybody else falls into the 'backyard breeder' category.

IMO the registries are going to have to re-think hardshiping. Also they should re-think non-member reg. fees. I say this because there are a lot of people in this economy That are not going to show. They buy a registered horse. Then the papers are left not updated because it costs (not actual numbers) $65 for the membership and $20 for the transfer. That is $85 to put the horse that you are not going to show or breed into your name. This is then doubled when you have a double registered horse. When they could charge $35-$40 for a non-member fee and the person that has only one horse might transfer the horse. Because there are so many people that do not want to pay $85 to transfer their horses they do not keep track of the papers. These good horses are then excluded from the registry because of a careless owner. It would also give these horses a possibality at a better life (not going to auction) because a new owner would then have the option to register the horse (hardshiping). Just a thought.

I consider myself a backyard breeder..but not in a bad way..i interact with my horses everyday..i have 13...i dont have a million dollar stable..let alone a $5000 stable..i have run ins and stalls if bad weather comes...my fences are electric,and cheap. I put my money in feed,medication,& supplies for my horses..we are just normal folks that do it as a hobby..i do sell to help offset feed costs,but in the same note,i try to breed responsibly...i consider what most folks think as a backyard breeder,an irresponsible breeder,as stated above,one who breeds anything and everything to make a $$$.

I consider myself a backyard breeder..but not in a bad way..i interact with my horses everyday..i have 13...i dont have a million dollar stable..let alone a $5000 stable..i have run ins and stalls if bad weather comes...my fences are electric,and cheap. I put my money in feed,medication,& supplies for my horses..we are just normal folks that do it as a hobby..i do sell to help offset feed costs,but in the same note,i try to breed responsibly...i consider what most folks think as a backyard breeder,an irresponsible breeder,as stated above,one who breeds anything and everything to make a $$$.
Ok so i fall into this category also, except i only have three lol. Not a business venture, just an expensive hobby that is worth every cent!

I guess I am also a backyard breeder. I have a 2 x Reserve National Champion stallion( 2010 & 2011) and 7 mares. All my horses are AMHA/AMHR with one exception and that will happen soon. I have breed 5 of them to him for his first foal crop in 2013. The other 2 mares are young and they can wait. My mares are nice mares and the breeding were well thought out. My vision to to breed a competitive quality foal in todays halter showring. I have a direction and plan and hope to get the results expected. These resulting foals are for me, something to show in the future. Or if someone likes one and wants to own it to show, I will consider this, but not for $500.

So yes I am a backyard breeder. . .I go out and hug and pet every one of them daily, sit and talk with them and talk about problems with the world
default_smile.png
They are all happy content horses.

Backyard breeder has a negative connotation, IMO. The term is often applied in the dog world to people who decide they are going to breed their pet-quality animal for a profit. I would personally consider what you last three have described yourselves as to be "hobby breeders"-- those who are in it for their own personal pleasure, with the best of intentions. A "backyard breeder" I would consider to be someone who is producing poor quality stock for a profit. Often the term also implies that they are not taking the best of care of their animals, as shelling out $$$ to keep the animals in decent condition would cut into their monetary gain.

I like that term Kaityln "hobby breeders", as we know most of the breeders do this as a hobby but still try and reproduce quality registered animals.

When I hear "backyard breeder" I think of someone who will breed anything with anything just to make a $. Not someone who is looking to better the breed and breed for the "perfect" animal. With that said yes the economy is tough and everyone should put lots of consideration into their breeding programs.

yet when it comes to regulations from the government, will there be a distinguishing factor between hobby and backyard breeders? I think that's my point. Sure I think most of us can figure that out on our own but what's the defining factors if it comes down to regulations? where's the line? How can the layperson determine the difference? See what I mean? It can't be in #'s and it can't be in money earned, nor can it really be in pedigrees or shows won at least not IMO. It's just a slippery slope.

Back