Something i seen at a horse auction ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
The topic about the 46 belgian drafts really riled me up
default_new_argue.gif
: :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

These are from the past, but i just feel like i should share them.

A few weeks ago, my father and i drove down to Kentucky. We had to go pick up a filly from Ronaele so we left a few days early and just went on down to Kentucky to visit some family since we were already so close anyhow. My father grew up in the hills of Kentucky in Prestonsburg, the next town over is Paintsville which has a horse auction that he and his father went to and his fathers father and so on and so on. We drove over to that the friday night as we had some time to waist. Now i obviously am a horse lover and have a soft spot for horses and i dont take well to seeing them mistreated either. Well i walked back into the barn and as i was walking through the isle way a young teen came down the isle way with a bay standardbred (Eham, i mean saddle horse ..every horse down there was called a 'saddlin horse' RollEyes) and he was leading it with the bridle and thrashing that bit in his mouth side to side bc the horse was walking slow (i will get to that later!). A few minutes later after i glanced around at some of the horses (all were skinny for the most part), i went outside to look at one of the tack trailers when i heard a huge BANG. Well i go running over to where a HUGE croud of people were standing and the horse that was led by me earlier was tied to a livestock trailer and had fallen down (now with saddle on) and couldnt get up. So what does the owner do, he goes to his tuck and get out one of those electic cattle prod shocker stick things (its like 3ft long, they have them at TSC) and starts taisering the horse on the butt. The horse jumps up and throws himself into the livestock trailer about 4 or 5 times. HE WAS TIED BY THE REINS THE WHOLE TIME BTW. The horses mouth was bleading and had skin ripped from his jaws! The man didnt care at all, he (and i quote) said 'Hes going to find out i dont care how many times he throws himself agianst that horse trailer' :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :new_2gunsfiring_v1:. I was with my father and beleive me, i was going nuts! Then the horse was finially standing up and what does the man do, you know that metal ring up near the horses ear on the halter, he takes the TAISER and touches that ring a few times and that horse went bazerk. I was balling my eyes out and went to the truck, along the way voicing my opinion of that man loud and clear but there was nothing you could do. People went up to the owner and jumped all over him, what can you do i mean you know? I've never seen anything that bad in my life, i felt so helpless.

So i composed myself and went back over to where the croud was and told dad i was calling the cops and i wasnt leaving until that man was lead away in handcuffs!!! It was obvious that horse was drugged up, that is why he was shocking it trying to get it to wake up, he was a stallion and the man said 'he wont be seeing anymore mares' (that is NO excuse, i have a stallion that has been out in the pasture with mares all summer to and he doesnt act like that!) and i KNOW that man prob gave him some calming medicine or shot him up with something to calm him down infront of the mares at the sale so they could make a buck off him and prob gave him to much bc that horse was out of it. You could see it in his eyes. Well everyone was talking about calling the cops so the man put the poor horse back in the trailer bc as he said there were 'to many nosey people around'. I went off to find a cell phone that worked bc im sorry, you dont do that to a horse and get away with it! You dont do that to ANY animal and get away with it!

Ohh it gets better ..

About 10 minutes later the croud was gone and we look back behind where all the trucks and trailers and we see the young kid back behind the trucks ON THAT HORSE RIDING HIM! They were not going to stop until they killed that poor horse! The horse was drunk, half his jaw missing and blood pooring out his mouth and that kid is back there riding him with a bit in his mouth! The nerve! Those two guys waited until the croud left and then snuck him out of the trailer, that was their plan.

The kid took the horse down the stone path where the cars/trucks were parked and the horse reared up and came down on the dash of a car! The kid jumped off the horse and his father came running back there, showing no remorse and told the kid to take the horse out of there. I guess they took the horse up there and tried to hide him in a stall in the sale barn back where no one could find him (Ohh but we found him!) and after the cops delt with the car (which the whole from end and front window was destroyed) issue.

The cop asked me for my opinion and i told him 'horses dont act like that unless forced and there is no reason to treat a horse like that'. I also threw in that if they pulled blood on that horse i almost garentee they would find drugs.

Then the part that reallly got me. They went over and talked to the horse owner and he said he only had that horse a few hours and bought him on his way to the sale. Ohh really, i believe about 20 minutes earlier you said that horse had been out in the pasture with all your mares since Decemeber ..hmm, thats kind of fishy. RollEyes RollEyes

And yep, the man got away with nothing and the car owners had to pay someone to towe there car home bc the cops wouldnt let them drive it home like that and the man didnt have to pay the towing fee. and yep the man put the horse through the sale and he brought $75. All they said when he was in the ring was 'saddlehorse, you know the story' RollEyes. I garentee you if all that had not happened outside they would have said 'saddle horse, kid safe, sound, level headed'. Ugh.

I've seen so many things at a horse auction that really stuck with me, but that just sent me through the roof! Also, if your wondering ..they had no vet on the grounds. I even offered to pay all the vet costs to get a vet out there to pull blood on that horse and get him fixed up but they said they wouldnt allow a vet on the grounds. I thought all horse sales were supose to pull blood samples!

Like i said in the other topic, there should be a 'test for stupidity' you must take before taking part in any equine activity or owning a horse. I would have paid big money to see that man led away in hand cuffs or better yet, give me that taiser for 5 minutes :ugh: :new_2gunsfiring_v1: NoNoNo

I could share stories for hours of the things i've seen at auctions, i swear the worst of the worst comes out at auctions but that just topped everything i had ever seen!

Also, i went back to the stall where they had taken that poor horse and i told dad the poor thing was trying to die. He was drugged up (i'd put my life on it) but you could just look at him and see he was trying to die. He wanted to lay down but couldnt, i think the person who bought him rescued him ..they dont get any slaughter buyers there. Other sad part, he WAS the nicest looking horse there when i seen him the first time but with just an hour in the wrong hands look what happened. Ugh.

Sorry so long btw, but i wanted to post it weeks ago but thought better to just forget it all but maybe it will hit home somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people don't deserve to live.

Thank-you for taking action and calling the police even if they were rather useless.

I couldn't have helped but buy him. People make me very ill sometimes. I just hope that they get their own someday
default_no.gif
Call me rotten. Don't care.

I am so glad there are people like you who will speak up against animal cruelty. The cruelty comes from people who are usually concerned about making money only. I think they become desensitized to the cruelty and think nothing of it...just an animal who can make them a buck!
default_unsure.png
I wish all horse lovers would spend time at horse auctions and observing the abuse that goes on...if you have a heart it will break it.
default_sad.png

There was no way we could have bought him, i had to pick up my shetland show filly from Ronaele on the way home and we just had a two horse trailer, i would not have trusted that horse in a small two horse trailer. I believe someone bought him that felt sorry for him. I couldnt believe the man had the nerve to put him through the sale in that condition! Then agian, i bet after everything he wanted that horse out of his posession as fast as possible. The auction is such a small auction, maybe 20-30 horses and its all traders and a few good homes, no meat buyers have ever been there before.

I wasnt the one who called the cops, someone had already called them and beat me to it and said they would send someone out but then not even 10 minutes later the horse went threw the dash of a ladys car so the car owner called the cops once more for that and they got someone out.

I'm sorry to say, but if that man had done something like that in Ohio he would have been in jail a long long time.

It was the most horriable thing i had ever seen!

After living in KY for so long. It doesn't surprise me that there are people like this still out there at those sales. Its so sad. Sadly I know Saddlebreds and those types of horses are hot but I think that treatment is very wrong. Its sad what people do to them. I have seen some nasty things too at sales and even show barns:( Its a shame!

that's aweful. i avoid auctions because of things like that! Not that this is the same but i'm sure it wont help the situation. I will tell you i was talking to a friend in Kentucky the other day. she lives a little outside of lexington. she said the horse situtation there is getting really bad because of the ban on slaughter. I guess people really are dumping horses she said someplace around the coal mines and that because of hte drought this year they are pretty much starving because of overpopulation. I guess they are starting to put the tattoo (guess most are race horses?) numbers on the news. She said horses are selling for only a few hundred a piece it's getting pretty bad.

So sad. I personally think the government should be made to step up and take care of all these horses that can no longer go to slaughter. even if that means they are responsible for digging a very large mass grave hole and the bullets to put them out of their misery! I bet they'd think twice about this ban on slaughter if they were made to take responsibility financially for the animals that no longer have a place!

I don't particularly LIKE slaughter but it's a nessary evil and i think even if they were going to ban slaughter they could have done it in a more indirect way that might cut down on the excess before it actually went into effect instead of just leaving thousands of breeders hanging with horses they normally would have auctioned off to slaughter.

Well said Boinky
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

i have posted the slaughter sale thing before and been ripped to pieces about it

i have been a trainer for alot of years and have seen some that are just to dangerous to even be around

i know not the horses fault but.......

lesser of 2 evils your right

dawn

Please try to keep in mind that the slaughter of horses was closed in the U.S. [for very good reasons] but horses can and still do get sold to Canada, Mexico etc. for slaughter. It is hard to understand anyone condoning the slaughter of horses and yet say they avoid auctions because of the horrible sights they may see! The whole matter of horses going to slaughter is a horrendous experience for them and it starts with being loaded on the trucks from the farms, to going to the auctions and being mistreated, to again being loaded on unsuitable trucks to be hauled to the slaughter houses for more abuse.
default_wacko.png
The object of closing slaughter places in the U.S. was to stop some of the abuse from going on here in the U.S....next, something will have to be done about the abuses at the auctions and the transportation of slaughter horses. One step at a time. I do not agree that the government [which is us] should have tp pick up the tab for the greediness that has gone on in the horse industries. It is the breeders that need to be doing the paying for they have been the ones reaping the sales of these horses. Horses made breeders a lot of money for a long time but they have over produced and now need to realize they should be responsible for what they created. BREEDERS NEED TO STOP BREEDING AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT THEY HAVE ALREADY PRODUCED. CREATING THE PROBLEM AND THEN WANTING SOMEONE ELSE TO PAY FOR IT IS NOT FAIR. JMHO Mary

that's aweful. i avoid auctions because of things like that! Not that this is the same but i'm sure it wont help the situation. I will tell you i was talking to a friend in Kentucky the other day. she lives a little outside of lexington. she said the horse situtation there is getting really bad because of the ban on slaughter. I guess people really are dumping horses she said someplace around the coal mines and that because of hte drought this year they are pretty much starving because of overpopulation. I guess they are starting to put the tattoo (guess most are race horses?) numbers on the news. She said horses are selling for only a few hundred a piece it's getting pretty bad.

So sad. I personally think the government should be made to step up and take care of all these horses that can no longer go to slaughter. even if that means they are responsible for digging a very large mass grave hole and the bullets to put them out of their misery! I bet they'd think twice about this ban on slaughter if they were made to take responsibility financially for the animals that no longer have a place!

I don't particularly LIKE slaughter but it's a nessary evil and i think even if they were going to ban slaughter they could have done it in a more indirect way that might cut down on the excess before it actually went into effect instead of just leaving thousands of breeders hanging with horses they normally would have auctioned off to slaughter.

Latest posts

Back