Someone is feeding my horses.......Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL the next time she got to my feed bin she would find a note as such...

Dear New Neighbor,

I appreciate you trying to be helpful and caring enough to feed my horses. I am just a little worried as you do not know which horses get which feed and if you work for a rescue then I imagine that you understand how bad this can be for horses. So here is my feed instructions so that the horses will continue to be heallthy and not have to run to the vets for an episode of colic, choke, or founder.

The old Quarter Horse gets 5 Yellow scoops of Purina Senior and 6 alfalfa cubes, the entire meal must be soaked for at least 10 minutes in hot water because she is 33 years old, has no teeth and will choke on dry food.

The mini stallions each get 4 blue scoops of mini feed, and dont forget to double chain their gates as I'm sure you would feel really guilty if they got loose and killed by one of the big horses.

The Buckskin mare gets 2 blue scoops of triple crown lite because she is insulin resistant and will founder on any of the other feeds. Oh yeah and her hay needs to be soaked for at least and hour to lower the sugar and starch levels.

The black tennessee walker has DSLD. Her pre-made medicine balls are in the little refrigerator. Just grab one and make her eat it at least 20 minutes before her meal. After the 20 minutes she gets 4 blue scoops of TC Lite with a cup of water on top because she also chokes sometimes.

The rest of the minis each get 3 blue scoops of the mini feed.

Each horse must eat in a separate stall dont worry they each know where they belong. 2 hours later please let them back out and give them their hay.

Oh and usually during that 2 hour wait time I go ahead and walk the dogs, their leashes are hanging next to the horses halters

I really do appreciate your help,Thank You!

Oh one more thing... Please leave me a note when you do feed them so that I know not to feed them a second time and cause them to colic.

default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Somehow I dont think she would be back to feed my horses... Or if she did then yep shes a keeper!!

lol, this do exactly this LOL

LOCK UP THE FEED.

Then talk with her, explaining that the horses are on a strict diet by your vet's orders, and that she is putting them in danger. Since it appears that she thinks she knows better than you what horses need, go into detail, using medical terminology, about exactly what can happen with overfeeding. Then use legal terminology to tell her what you will do if any of these things happen or if she continues to feed them.

If she is understanding and properly humbled, I MIGHT allow her to give them a small portion of their daily hay, if she agrees to follow your instructions exactly. This, of course, would depend upon what sort of person she is and what your gut tells you.

While there is no need to be rude or angry, it is essential that you be absolutely clear about how dangerous this is and that if your rules are not followed to the letter, that you will take action.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also, in addition to 'no trespassing' signs, would be hanging a large sign that says DO NOT FEED THE HORSES- SOME HAVE MEDICAL RESTRICTIONS!

LOL Tonya, there ya go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
People have already giving lots of good suggestions. I would be furious at this lady...especially since she has already been asked to stop and refuses to do so! She needs to find a new hobby! Perhaps you could also print of some information about colic and why specific diets are so important to follow and not change. If she sees it written out from another source maybe she will realize the harm she may be doing! If you try some of our suggestions and she still does not change then I would surely get some authorities involved before something terrible happens!

Lots of good advice here already. The only thing I can add as another concern is that if she is in rescue situations, what kind of viruses and bugs might she be bringing into your horses area ?

I'd be angry enough knowing someone was feeding my horses without my permission let alone finding out she had been on my farm after being in contact with another horse that had strangles or some other infectious disease.

Lots of good advice here already. The only thing I can add as another concern is that if she is in rescue situations, what kind of viruses and bugs might she be bringing into your horses area ?

I'd be angry enough knowing someone was feeding my horses without my permission let alone finding out she had been on my farm after being in contact with another horse that had strangles or some other infectious disease.
Oh my!! Very good point...
default_thud.gif

When I came out to feed tonight she was here, well ONE of them was here. Apparently there are two. She was in the process of giving water when I arrived. I just started normal conversation by asking who she was (if thats normal) and she quickly said "Oh I just noticed they needed water, i was checking to see what work has been done at my new place so thought I would stop by"

Now our barn is a good 150 yard from the road and the house she is renting. I asked with a puzzeled look about the property line and then quickly went into the whole feeding issue. She denied it of course.

I really do not get a good vibe from her AT ALL and think I will keep a real close eye on them. If this is how they are going to be becore they move in I can only imagine how they will be once they do.

Thank you everyone for the advise and great suggestions. Have a wonderful evening or day depending on your part of the world
default_smile.png

Andrea

Put up cameras and motion lights in visible areas ASAP would be my suggestion! Make sure you document everything in writing in case you should ever need o file a poliece report. Looks like you mayhave long term trouble on your hands, hopefully the cameras will deter them and if not they will help you hold them responsible at least.

I would also have your cousin contact the landlord again, he/she must be kept informed as they may be needed in the case of a tresspassing charge. If nothing else they should be leary of having a tenant who blatantly disregards requests when they haven't even moved in yet.

I would absolutely post signs on the property line if possible and flat out ask her not to feed them. She is already lying about what has been going on.... she needs to stay out of there and I can't believe someone would have enough ba11s to just walk onto someone else's property and help themselves like that!!

I would post signs for sure. They need to realize you need to take care of your own horses, and even watering is a problem because you won't know who is drinking how much and that is very important! If they ignore the signs, call the police.

Talk to the landlord and make sure that person is aware of what a major problem these people are already. Maybe they could elect to not rent to them?

You've received lots of good suggestions so I probably don't have much to add, but your situation struck a chord with me......

Last summer, our "sometimes difficult" stallion and our "voodoo child" mare (separate pastures on the same road) were receiving unwanted attention from some neighbors that walk or bicycle past our property with their children. I noticed them messing with the horses through the fence but, at first, was not really sure what they were doing. It made me nervous so to discourage them, we started with laminated signs nailed to the fence rails that said "Please don't feed the horses."

They ignored the signs--several days later, two of their small children were trying to pet the "cute horsies" through the fence and trying to feed them something. I intercepted the female adult and explained that both horses were not tame and were not child-proofed. And asked her not to mess with our horses. Then we nailed up No Trespassing signs.

Within a week, I saw the same adult female holding a small child (not sure how old; the child was about two foot tall) up to the fence so the child could reach through the fence rails to pet the stallion. I'm thinking, great!.... our big guy is going to kick the stuffing out of their child or maybe the mare'll just rip the child's face off and then they'll sue me. I caught up with the adult female several days later--and warned her and requested again. She responded that it was O.K. because she knows "all about horses."

To make a long story short.... we have now progressed to signs that say stuff like "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again." and "If you can read this, you're in my sights." Then we strung electric fence on the outside of our wooden fence. I think the multiple strands of electric fencing was what finally did the trick. ...haven't seen them much lately.

My word of advice - go with your gut - if you get a bad vibe - act now or probably sorry later...

Legal stuff - you have to tell her not to trespass for it to stick... trespass is typically the key word,

If you come onto the property again, you will be trespassing... etc etc etc

I have seen one too many cases of these go wrong!

Time to stop being nice.This woman is putting your animals in danger.Anyone who makes the comment that they know all about horses is a BIG PROBLEM. How many of us on here know ALL about horses?Do what you have to and get the authorities involved if necessary.Maybe you can find law enforcement who are animal lovers to help

We had a talk with the Landlord and she is completely on board with us. So far no one has been by. In fact we found out it was her that fed the last time.

I am prety sure we set the boundaries and they meen well. I really do not want to scare them away and loose possible help. We will just play it by ear and see what happens.

Thank you everyone for the replies and advise. I am happy that so far its working out. I had a nice long talk with her (landlor) last night and turns out she has two mini stallions she wants trained for driving (fun not show).

Andrea

My neighbor does the same thing, and we have told him to not feed our minis anymore and he hasn't now without asking first, do face to face seriously works!

Back