soaking a foot-what to use?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
I've got to soak Spot's foot in some clean trax per my hoof guy. I've looked at some soaking boots but yikes they are expensive. Farrier actually suggested using a kitchen rubber glove. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think a ziploc bag would not stand up to him standing on it, even in a stall with lots of wood chips. And getting him to stand with one foot in a bucket is sorta a waste of time, I'm thinking.

But I've ordered the soaking solution and would love to know what someone else has used (and what works).

Use duct tape to fully cover the outside of a Ziploc freezer (not sandwich) bag. Soak in that. Makes it strong enough for soaking and you can use either vet wrap or duct tape wrapped at the top to keep it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucket. Put his foot right in it. Grab a book and a lawn chair. Had a big mare we didn't even have to tie or directly babysit when she was soaking in Epsom salts. She LOVED it. We used a flexible rubber manure tub. Shed put both feet in, the head would drop and the lip would fall soon after!

I had these heavy duty plastic bags I got from work. We cut the end off from a pair of jeans and sewed the bottom closed. Put the bag in the jeans tube, put it on Pete's leg and then filled with the water. Tied it off above his knee, and presto- soaking boot!

Let me tell you what I used..a tire tube and it worked really good. A little duct tape and the horse can walk around while medicating no problem..same is true for a ringers bag, those are like 1000 ml plastic so very strong.

editing to add a link to where I learned that years ago. http://www.thenaturalhoof.co.uk/35.html scroll down to see how and photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get one, the ideal thing to use is an IV bag. When I had to give a horse IV fluids, my vet suggested I keep the bag in case I needed to soak a foot. Many months later , I had to soak a foot and the IV bag worked perfectly.

If you can get one, the ideal thing to use is an IV bag. When I had to give a horse IV fluids, my vet suggested I keep the bag in case I needed to soak a foot. Many months later , I had to soak a foot and the IV bag worked perfectly.
Hubby recently had to take his dog to the vet for stitches, wound on her back leg and we have no idea what she did; anyway, he asked about something to put on her leg, since she's hard to keep out of the creek, vet sent home her IV bag for a swim cover if needed (she didn't as we managed to keep her inside and mostly happy.

Back