Fly control

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
I don't know if it's due to the drought, the mild winter or Poor manure management on my part until this spring, but from march until about 3 weeks ago the flies here were horrific. I had every fly species there is, bought gallons of fly spray, decked out my mini and paint with fly masks and boots and ran my own "research lab" on fly traps. I also built a 3 compartment manure compost bin, which is covered so no manure is around for longer than a few hours.

These are the traps I've tried and their effectiveness:

"stink bags", various brands, I've found the most effective ones to be the red/yellow ones from TSC that have the tube with liquid. I have hung as many as 8 at the same time around the manure bin and the best ones were full within a week.

Biting fly traps, these can be hung or staked in the ground. Not very effective as the stickiness wears off faster than they fill up, don't attract many flies.

Yellow wide giant tape, from TSC.loved this one at first, especially the wide surface and huge amount for the price. They work ok, but it's tricky to hang them, better to do it with two people on a wind free day or else you end up with a bunch of torn paper sticking to itself and wasting your money. Also, my paint decided to swish at flies while getting groomed, got the 1 foot wide and 4 foot long paper stuck in his tail, wrapped it completely around his tail and went nuts. Took me 30 minutes to pull it out bit by bit all while he ran everytime it made noise. (on a side note - should have then washed the tail immediately as the next time I mounted he swished at a fly and his sticky tangled tail got stuck in my spur midair which caused him to freak out and me taking a 6 foot fall on my behind, bruised pelvises are no fun, let me tell ya.)

Another wide strip tape, white with dots, I ordered it online and was totally disappointed, not even half the amount of the yellow TSC one, and didn't catch ONE fly with it.

Traditional twirl traps (not sure what they're called(?), they work well, occasionally they will fall from the ceiling or get stuck somewhere due to wind.

I recently discovered my NO.1 trap and will from now on only invest in this one - it's like a MAGNET for flies, doesnt look bad like some of the others, you get a LOT for your money, the only downfall is the sticky fingers when hanging it, but disposable gloves work well, or Avon's SS bath oil to scrub off the glue.

It's a thin white tape that comes with two reels, (at first I was really skeptical how this little tape could possibly work) I have stopped using the reels though and just hang a strand from one side of the stall to the other with thumbtacks, high enough where my little one can't reach it. It's the BEST stuff out there, at least for Texas flies it works!

Here's the link:

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/revenge-mini-reel-sticky-fly-tape-kit-7518p.aspx

Just thought I'd share this in case some of you have fly problems - this way you don't have to waste your money on stuff that doesn't do the job like I did.
default_smile.png

I use Fly Predator. It does work! Pretty amazing stuff! Along with the trap and toss traps. I love both. Remember to put your toss traps away from the barn. I also use lavender Lysol in a spray bottle and spray the stalls it smells great but the bugs hate it.

Totally forgot to mention them! Yes, I use fly predators. First time in march, but unfortunately the flies were sooo bad at that point that even though I got the double shipment (10.000), and another a month later and another a month after that, it took until the beginning of June to get it to "somewhat normal", in the afternoons it sounded like I had tons of bee swarms around the stable and manure bin. I'm expecting another predator shipment now and next year I will be getting my first ones in February for sure. I do believe they work but I think the weather and bad timing on my part made it tough for them to do their job this year.

I use the bye bye odor spray for the stalls, my mini pees up a storm and the smell is horrible after I clean up in the AM and PM. The spray makes it not only smell nice, but actually neutralizes the ammonia making it healthier for her to be in there.

I've had little success with the fly predators this year, our first year. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what. I need to call them this week. Will be checking out the Lavender Lysol and that sticky tape on the reel!

About four years ago, I had a big fly problem and was using the sticky tapes. I found a fly block (much like a salt block) and tried it. I have been using them ever since and have very little fly problems. It kills the eggs in the manure. It is made by MFA Corp. I believe they are based in Columbia, MO. They also make feed. They lick the just like a salt block. I hope this might help.

Is the block for the horses, so a "feed through" fly control?

I've discovered another "side effect" of owning horses and learned a little about nature the other day - horses produce manure, manure attracts flies, flies attract frogs *or toads in my case - and they in turn attract ----- snakes! Had a garter snake right in front of my horse stable under the wooden retaining wall of my riding arena the other day in the process of eating a toad. I had just come around the corner with my paint and heard a noise like a baby bird, thought one fell from the nest by the stable - turns out frogs will call for help when they get eaten alive
default_sad.png

This kills the fly eggs in the manure. We have had no trouble with frogs or snakes. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back