So excited...and nervous! Update w/pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]My BFF Dana VERY sweetly is allowing me to borrow her paint mare "Rain". Since Dana is loving her chrome riding beastie (aka an awesomely cool street bike) she is letting Rain stay with us. I had intended to get our adopted aged Oldenburg mare back into shape and get on her, bujt I'm too chicken to start back on horseback with a horse that hasn't been ridden in 10 years! Rain is super sweet and I know we'll get along great, but I feel like a big ol chicken. [/SIZE]

After all, only 25 years ago (gasp), you could have pointed me at ANY jump, on ANYTHING and told me to go jump it and I would have just done it because it was fun~LOL When Mia was conceived (8 years ago) I was taking the buck out of friend's gelding that had broken her arm! After loosing Chica (who I'd had for 21 years) when I was pregnant with Zac, I have just been really nervous about getting back on. Chica was my rock...we knew and trusted each other. I could get on her with NO tack and ride her around the pasture. Getting used to another horse is going to be tough. My body is used to a reliable old girl who would sidepass bareback and in a halter and babysit Mia
default_wub.png

I hope to get my tack cleaned up and take a ride tomorrow while Steve's home. I'll keep you updated and try for pics
default_wink.png

Ok, so we had our first ride today and she's a brat~LOL She's VERY herdbound, but since Dana and her family came to stay last night, I had a chance to chat about her and found that out ahead of time. The yard birds spooked her while I was tacking her up (the guineas and chickens LOVE me and follow me everywhere) and it was in the 30's, so she was frisky anyway.

Once we established that YES, she did actually have to listen and YES, she did actually have to WALK AWAY FROM THE HERD, she did well...except for the bit about jumping across the creek~LOL I expected it since she was being kind of squirrly and stayed with her. Coming back she was snorting and blowing BIG time and I got off and led her across. It's a good thing because that leap was impressive! I got back on (facing the herd) and that was interesting, but we got it done.

All in all it was a good, sorting out sort of ride. My seat is still there and my leg still knows what to do and why to do it. My leg position is forward a bit, but all in all it felt GREAT. My balance is actually better than the last few times I was on, but has a ways to go still. I think we'll do better with every ride and will have a good time together
default_wub.png

Edited to add-I gave my helmet away, so I wore Mia's Dora bicycle helmet~LOL I also couldn't find the reins to the little nylon bridle I used, so I just snapped on 2 leads and the saddle pad was a folded fleece baby blanket @@. I think a run to TSC is in store for tomorrow
default_wink.png

DSCF1367.jpg

DSCF1379.jpg

DSCF1384.jpg

DSCF1393.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How exciting to have a riding horse again. I know I'm so looking forward to having a big ole working quarter horse in one of my pastures in the near future. It's been a *few* years since I've riden and can totally relate to how you feel about riding a horse that you don't know inside and out!

Wishing you the best and I'm looking forward to your update & pics!!

Laura I know how you feel. I started riding last year after not being on a horse for 12 years! Then we went and got Drew. I was so nervous, I rode him in my first Gymkanna (in 15 years) only after having him for a month and still working out his kinks. I cantered that day and I actually hadn't done that in 15 years. Good luck and we want to see pics.

Christy

She's pretty! Glad your ride went smoothly for the most part. And for the Dora helmet, I think you were just looking for a reason to wear it! hehe

Latest posts

Back