so discouraged more colic and health problems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several older horses here that do not like to drink.After many vet calls (5 in 1 weeek in Jan)due to impaction colics I have developed a plan that seems to be working.Senior feed is put in water with powdered electrolytes.If they want to eat they get water.I also keep electrolyte paste on hand and if I notice one not drinking enough they get paste.Several really like molasses so they get molasses soup.Experiment with sweet things and find something they like-then add feed to that.senior feed is great because it has beet pulp and roughage added.If you have access to fresh grass or growing alfalfa put that in a bucket with water covering it.I fixed that for my old guy this AM and he got lots more water that way.Good luck whatever you decide to do.I know how you are feeling.My Minis are like part of my family and we want to do what is best for them.Hang in there-sounds like she is improving even if it is slow.

I am so sorry you've experienced such hard times with your minis. We're in our 3rd year of mini ownership and have had only one "bad scare".

My husband and I are on the same page that as much as we love our girls, as much as we will be devastated if we were to lose one, there *is* a limit to how much we'll pay to keep them alive. Our vet understands this as well.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you face these tough days {{{{ hugs }}}}

I am overwhelmed with all your kind words. Thank you all so much!!!!

The vet insisted I come see him again this morning but he added the magic words, "There will be NO CHARGE!" So I drove the 2 hours to see him. This vet is fantastic and he said, "while she is on my watch she is going to make it through this!" He put some warm water in her and gave her an enema. She pooped within minutes!!! I did the same thing at home and got nothing. But as long as she is making progress I am o.k. with that. He said her gut sounds are great. Her blood work is showing that she is NOT dehydrated but that her white blood count is high. He thinks she may have a slight infection in her liver from the hyperlipidemia. So he put her on a different antibiotic. (That he also didn't let me pay for.) He said he thinks she is just slowly recovering. He said about 4 different things should have killed her so I just need to be patient with her. And I can do that. Also I have to tell you that the vet also gave us enough white vinyl fence to go around an acre!!!! He said he wasn't going to use it so he let us have it for free!!!!! It is amazing the difference that a day can make. I feel so much better about her. Thank you all for your advice and your kind words. It really helps to hear from people that have been there.

I'm so glad she has such a fighting "Spirit"

That is beyond awesome! I have tears in my eyes! Happy tears!

Tell your vet there are a lot of people that think he is AWESOME!

Hugs to you and your mare!!!

Love that poop!
default_aktion033.gif

That's fantastic!! What a blessing your vet is! And your mare must be one heck of a fighter
default_wub.png
I hope everything keeps going as smoothly as today
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is more than good news for you and your little mare
default_yes.gif
...we all should be so lucky to have a vet like yours! I am so happy that you have her where she can continue to get better and a vet with the grit and know how to get it do. I agree with Bevann as I have done the same...Continued Prayers!

Blessings,

Jenny

I got chills! What a awesome vet and person! I am so glad that your lil' mare pooped while she was there. We will continue to hold you all in our prayers.

Brilliant news.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

What a wonderful vet, so glad he has given you the help and encouragement that you need right now.

Come on Spirit - we are all rooting and saying prayers for you.
default_wub.png

Anna

Hi, I've been having problems too, I know just how you feel. You have a brilliant vet and I hope it all works out in your favour. I am glad things are on the up!

One of my very wise friends (he's 78 this month!) always tells me,

"Sorrow endures for a night but joy cometh in the morning." It has got me through many hard times.

Sometimes the night seems very long, but it always ends.

Best of luck to you,

Maria

x

thats fantastic news Im so happy for you ,it doesnt matter if shes a show horse or family pet , she deserves her chance to live as much as any world champion , shes a fighter and she wont give up ...

I just read in Equus yesterday that soaked beet pulp is good for horses with liver problems, but you would need to as your vet first because if there are kidney problems as well it would needed to be given with commercial feed. I'm glad the prognosis is improved.

I am so happy for you. I was wondering how you guys were doing but been such a blur around here didnt have time to check. A great vet makes all the difference in the world.

I continue to send prayers to you and your mare

WoW! You are very fortunate to have such a kind/compassionate vet.

Wish you the best with your mare. Been there/done that. We had vet bills over $19,000, so the people that say 'save and plan' for those emergencies, sometimes they're bigger than the 'plan'! I will say I don't regret it, maybe a couple of things I might have reconsidered, but all in all at the time the decision felt right.

I am so happy for you. I was wondering how you guys were doing but been such a blur around here didnt have time to check. A great vet makes all the difference in the world.

I continue to send prayers to you and your mare
I feel really bad because I have been so wrapped up in my own problems I didn't know what was going on with Tease and Annie. I am so sorry and I know how you feel. It sounds like they are in a great place. I have to admit I was a little jealous when I saw the video of Annie jumping around. Wish we could have had a live foal. But so thankful I still have my mare. I will send prayers your way as well. And thank you for taking the time to post here.

aktion033.gif
wonderful news! I am so glad for you and your mare. Keep thinking positive cos you are doing a great job. You vet sounds very nice too.

I am sending prayers that she continues to heal.

Latest posts

Back