so discouraged more colic and health problems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indebtedfarms

Reaction score
I don't know what to do anymore. My mare spirit has been in and out of the hospital for 10 days. I have had her home now for 3 days. (She is recovering from...colic surgery, SEVERE Hyperlipidemia, a bad dystocia and a dead foal) She is steadily improving and for that I am extremely grateful. BUT, her bills are at $9,000 right now...she is a pet not a show horse. We paid for the vet bill because we love her and wanted her to live. The vet feels confident she will but... She is only eating enough to keep a bird alive. But we are thrilled with that because her appetite is coming back! She is drinking some on her own but I am also syringing sugar water and gatorade several times a day. She is urinating fine but she hasn't pooped in 3 days again.

Do you think it could just be because she isn't eating enough to poop?

She also was shaking this morning and then again this evening. I have given her 10 ounces of mineral oil and 4 enemas. But still no poop. So, the vet wants her back. I absolutely cannot afford another visit to the vet. So I don't know what my options are. I do not want to let her die but we are out of money. I even thought of running an ad to give her away and tell the new owners they need to continue to pay for her health problems but I know no one will want a horse with problems and I don't want to give her up. WHAT SHOULD I DO?/??????!!!!!!

Then today my other mare coliced. I tried to give her mineral oil but she reared up on me and landed on my foot. The good news was that after she pulled that--she seemed to feel just fine.

I am very frustrated and I know that the people on this forum will have some advice for me. Also, my son has epilepsy and he had another seizure today through his meds so we need to take him to a doctor 5 hours away and he is expensive. So, I really do need the money for his medical bills. I HAVE NEVER FELT SO HELPLESS

I hope someone can help you with a suggestion

It certainly sounds overwhelming.

Can you speak to your vet to work out

something bill wise to help you.

Sending prayers things ease up for you

I'm sorry with all you are going thru. It always seems like everything bad happens at once. Well first of all you have to put your family first. You need the money to protect your family. I know we all consider our animals our family BUT, sometimes in cases like this you really need to face reality and look at the big picture here. My advice about giving her away to someone else who can afford it I just don't think will work, it may make matters worse for her and put her in even more stress. Instead if you can be able to set up donations for her recovery or what? You will be surprized how a community can come together in times like these. Another thing is I would ask the vet if you can do payments. You have already spent this much to save her I would think a responsible vet would be able to help you work something out. I would consider all options here, even the one option nobody likes to make.

PRAY, PRAY, PRAY. The only thing I can encourage you to remember is your son's medical bills need to come before Spirit's. I'm certain you already know that, but sometimes it's reassuring to hear it from someone else. If you can't find someone to take her and you absolutely can not pay for what she needs to live comfortably then putting her down may be the best option. Please do not give up faith. Maybe the vet can work with you or someone will be willing to take care of her. I wish I could offer you more help than restating what you already know. Please keep us updated.

God bless you for trying so hard with this mare. I totally understand how you can love a horse so much that you would be so giving and kind to help her through all of this medical trouble. But, and please understand this is only my opinion, but I would say after all she's been through, if she isn't responding to treatment...it's time.

The miracles of modern science can do quite a bit to save the life of one that is headed down the path toward the rainbow bridge, but despite all of the science in the world, when it's time--it's time. I know it's a very hard decision to make, but--as much as I love my horse--I couldn't watch him continue to suffer the way that poor mare sounds like she is. If you are financially capable of continuing with medical treatment, then do it, if it makes you feel better. But, if you just can't pay for another visit to the vet, then have the vet come to her...one last time.

You have a great support system here and you know the LB family will be here for you either way you decide. I wish you all the best and hope you are able to give this mare a happy ending, which ever direction that ending may take. **hugs**

Last edited by a moderator:
God bless you for trying so hard with this mare. I totally understand how you can love a horse so much that you would be so giving and kind to help her through all of this medical trouble. But, and please understand this is only my opinion, but I would say after all she's been through, if she isn't responding to treatment...it's time.

The miracles of modern science can do quite a bit to save the life of one that is headed down the path toward the rainbow bridge, but despite all of the science in the world, when it's time--it's time. I know it's a very hard decision to make, but--as much as I love my horse--I couldn't watch him continue to suffer the way that poor mare sounds like she is. If you are financially capable of continuing with medical treatment, then do it, if it makes you feel better. But, if you just can't pay for another visit to the vet, then have the vet come to her...one last time.

You have a great support system here and you know the LB family will be here for you either way you decide. I wish you all the best and hope you are able to give this mare a happy ending, which ever direction that ending may take. **hugs**
I totally agree with what you are saying here. This is the problem......she is improving everyday other than not pooping. The vet says this is just a long road to recovery but I truly think she is trying to make it. But I understand exactly what you are saying. Thank you for your kind words. I have some serious decisions to make.

I'm really sorry to hear that she is still having problems, I would contact your local Metro SPCA, I have worked with our local SPCA on picking up horse that needed medical treatment and they have helped the horse owner by providing treatment for the horses.. I'm sure it has to be a certain circumstance for them to give free vet services, but it would be worth the try I would think..

Another option would be to speak with vet and explain your circumstances, he may offer a discounted or free service since he has already been involved with the surgery and medical bills are so high, if not maybe he knows a non-profit organization that he can refer you to that may be able to help.

I REALLY hope your able to find some help for you and the horse, I'm really sorry for all that you're going thru..
default_sad.png

Bless your heart! What a trial you are going through, no wonder why you feel like throwing your hands in the air. I will be praying for you and all of your loved ones. You have gone above and beyond what so many people would have so whatever you do, do not feel guilty. And you son comes first. It is obvious that you love your animals too, but your flesh and blood is different.

My suggestion for Spirit and any other minis to help with colic is to soak their hay before feeding them. We are weight out hay in a bucket and then fill with warm water and let soak for 5 minutes or so. They we drain the water almost all out and then feed. For my minis that need more than the wet grass hay, I feed a small pellet called Stable Mix, its a complete feed. I also soak those until it is a mash and then feed that as well. This helps add the necessary moisture to their feed and gut. I do not do this to all my minis, but to my stalled ones and to the mare with foal at her side. I also do it during weather changes (better known as colic weather).

Maybe you could also try feeding her milk of magnesia or something? I did this to baby goats once that were constipated and it sure helped.

I am so sorry to hear about your poor mare, I went through a similar experience last year but I had "only" spent €4000 when she went down hill. I told the vet that I just could not keep paying as she was a pet and I am a housewife. He was very understanding and I think he felt a bit guilty cos he operated again for free. I would try talking to your vet cos he might be able to help out in some way.

Have you tried taking her for a quick ride in the trailer to get her a bit upset, mine always poop as soon as I close the door or is she kept with a friend or is she alone? If she has a friend you could try taking her friend away too as that would get her worked up.

I have put a very large apple in the water bucket for them to play with and try to eat. Give her some apple to eat and let her watch you put a whole apple in her bucket. WARNING I only ever do this whilst I am around cleaning the barn so I can supervise. ( my yearling gets frustrate a tips his bucket over)

I am sending prayers for all the family.

Renee

I really have no suggestions for you - sorry - but am sending prayers for Spirit, your son and for you. I hope you get the help you need from somewhere to get you through this very difficult time.

I do have to say that, as suggested, simple Milk of Mag can be brilliant at sorting out all sorts of 'system' problems - worth a try?

Anna

its very easy for us to say put her down ..its not so easy to do , so first speak to your vet , he may offer some free treatment and/or let you work out a payment plan , if not get in touch with all the local animal welfare charities and explain what happened , if you get no joy there , then go on facebook and explain the situation and ask for their help , arrange for donations directly to the vet or some may think its a con ,its worked for others ,many people donating a couple of dollars each would soon sort the situation , I have and would help again , just tell your story from the heart

My heart breaks for you reading your post. Most of us have been in this same position.

I havent read lately but are you walking her on green grass? Feeding soaked pellets? For some reason the green grass seems to really help mares like this rebound.

I think if it was me I would treat her at home as long as I could and if she gets worse (poor quality of life) I would probably let her go. Its such a horrible decision to have to make.

You are in my thoughts and prayers

So sorry to hear this. I really hope your little mare pulls through and I hope your son will be ok too.

I really feel for you, as you are in the toughest situation possible with your horse (even without your son's issues). Ultimately no one can make these tough decisions but you, as hard as that sounds. You have already gone way beyond what many/most people would do. I have some experience (well, really, anyone with animals does) as I have had 3 colic surgeries. But before that I had a 25 year old horse that I opted NOT to have the surgery. My big horse Target healed fine from his first surgery and when he needed a second surgery (with a very poor prognosis) 2 1/2 years later, he got that one too. It is now 10 years later, he is 25 and he doesn't get another one. That was a decision I made several years ago. I was lucky with him but not everyone is, and I wasn't with Max last year either. I think ulcers really complicates the healing process. I know someone who had 3 colic surgeries on their horse, one right after the other, the bill was $30,000 and the horse still died.

I would ask your vet a ton of questions, and then just do what you think is right.

Will continue to send prayers for you and your mare.

A long time ago, a filly we had with a trainer required two back-to-back colic surgeries. It was a long time before we could go out to feed without me having my heart in my throat or feeling like I'd jump out of my skin every time the phone rang (worried we'd have another sick show-trainer horse). Then despite YEARS of planning, when a sweet and versatile mare we owned tried to foal our first home-bred baby, we lost the mare and her foal even with the vet spending hours with us trying to save her. At that point, I would have loaded every breeding horse we owned up if someone with a trailer pulled into our driveway.

BUT, with some perspective, we have a lot of horses and in general, minis are actually quite hardy and really easy as far as the law of averages go. Foaling can be problematic, but in comparison to full size horses, they're tough in most other regards. My advice is to not make any choices until you have enough distance in time to give you more perspective. I have had full size horses longer than minis, but minis have captured my passion and it's generally a smooth ride all things considered.

Best of luck!

I feel for you, but you have to make a decision when you have any animal how far you'll go financially to save their lives. Often, Doctors keep people alive at any and all cost. It's not always the right decision. Many other people feel this way, too, about animals. Vets will only work to save an animal as long as they have the owner's permission. When my stallion got sick last year and went to the clinic in Guelph we stated up front how far we wanted to/could go financially. They called every day and told us how he was doing and how much our bill was at. He had to be put down, as it turned out, right when our limit came up, but if he had continued to go downhill we would have had him put down. It's not worth it to the animal or your bank account.

I don't know what to do anymore. My mare spirit has been in and out of the hospital for 10 days. I have had her home now for 3 days. (She is recovering from...colic surgery, SEVERE Hyperlipidemia, a bad dystocia and a dead foal) She is steadily improving and for that I am extremely grateful. BUT, her bills are at $9,000 right now...she is a pet not a show horse. We paid for the vet bill because we love her and wanted her to live. The vet feels confident she will but... She is only eating enough to keep a bird alive. But we are thrilled with that because her appetite is coming back! She is drinking some on her own but I am also syringing sugar water and gatorade several times a day. She is urinating fine but she hasn't pooped in 3 days again.

Do you think it could just be because she isn't eating enough to poop?

She also was shaking this morning and then again this evening. I have given her 10 ounces of mineral oil and 4 enemas. But still no poop. So, the vet wants her back. I absolutely cannot afford another visit to the vet. So I don't know what my options are. I do not want to let her die but we are out of money. I even thought of running an ad to give her away and tell the new owners they need to continue to pay for her health problems but I know no one will want a horse with problems and I don't want to give her up. WHAT SHOULD I DO?/??????!!!!!!

Then today my other mare coliced. I tried to give her mineral oil but she reared up on me and landed on my foot. The good news was that after she pulled that--she seemed to feel just fine.

I am very frustrated and I know that the people on this forum will have some advice for me. Also, my son has epilepsy and he had another seizure today through his meds so we need to take him to a doctor 5 hours away and he is expensive. So, I really do need the money for his medical bills. I HAVE NEVER FELT SO HELPLESS
I am so sorry about your mare and now with your son, I hope all is better today.

Does your vet come out to you? Would he rig up an iv of ringers solution for her in her stall to rehydrate her...that has worked for my horses and helped move the colon contents along. I think it takes about an hour and you would have to be close by, just a suggestion in case you have not done it already. Would she eat cooked oatmeal, very sloppy with molasses in it? Add powdered electolytes?

Most of us here have had similar problems and sympathize with you, and most likely would say to take some breathing room for yourself and not to rush. You have certainly gone a long loving way for Spirit. Good luck to you!

One of my mares had Potmac fever last fall. That was something I never want to go through again, I have a fantastic vet that pulled her through. But it was six weeks before she started acting even closed to normal. She didn't have a poop for a week and a half. But she wasn't eating enough to have one. I took her out on grass for a half hour a day, feed very sloppy soaks hay cubes. Of all the feed we have I kept trying a little each day to see which one she would eat and the only dry she would touch was the Senior feed. These things take time to heal. I was almost ready to give up but pushed through, when we finally had poo I had to call my vet at 2am yelled "we have poo" My family thought I was nuts, when I was doing a happy dance in the barn because of poo.

I guess what I am saying is don't give up, if she is recovering and not in pain just take it slowly. It does take a long time for the their insides to begin to work normally.

Oh and just another note our mare was pregnant at the time and foaled a beautiful little colt this spring. Shocked all of us as the drugs she received should have ended her pregnancy. Miracles happen if you let them.

When I have a client in a spot like this I try to put them in this frame of mind,

''When this is all over, no matter how it turns out, I want you to be able to take a deep breath and say 'given what I thought were reasonable means, I did the best I could and we'll live with the results.''

The odds never really matter, because even if they odds are great they are never 100%. Will you be content with all of your decisions even if it doesn't work out as well as we all hoped?

I hope all goes well. But what I hope even more is that you are content with every choice you have made along the way.

Dr Taylor

I don't have the answers for you, you have already proven your good heart and love for your animal. I went through a similar situation with my first pregnant mare. A bad dystocia, and $8,000 later I had lost the foal and almost my mare, too. She did recover and I turned her into a fabulous driving horse and swore she would never have to have another foal. However, we are all here for a limited time, no one gets out alive. There is no honor lost if you gently help an animal to the other side when you have reached your limit. Sending hugs and prayers for wisdom and strength to you. And I pray that your son is okay also. What a terrible stress you are under.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back