snot question.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseyGurl22

Reaction score
What does normal looking horse snot look like? I noticed today that my mare had some milky/cloudy discharge from her nose and I wasn't sure if that was normal. She's had some clear discharge before and the vet said that was normal. The discharge today was thicker looking and, like I said, kind of a white cloudy look to it.

She's been acting fine. She hasn't made a cough in a long time and was even running around the paddock last week with my brothers dog (they would chase each other along the fence without even seeming out of breath.

sounds like something is not right.

My horses never have snotty discharge. Somtimes their nostrils might be a bit wet/slight fluid trickle. But snot sounds like an infection of some kind especially if it is coloured.

I would give your vet a call.

Actually, the vet is coming tomorrow to give out rabies and WN shots, so I'll be sure to ask her.

I just wanted to know if it was somthing to really wory about.

"Yellow" is a caution sign. "Green" is a red flag!

I would take the horse's temp and if it's over, call your vet.

MA

Mini V is right about the color. If in doubt, you can always take a temp.

But, from personal expeience, I see that you are in Florida, it is probably still hot there. When my horses wrok in the summer time they sometimes get a "milky" looking nasal discharge. It is not a lot and is very watery. I would liken it to a lathered sweat looking type discharge. I have rarely seen this type of discharge turn into anything.

Safest thing is to do what you are going to do and ask your vet.

Relax and get some sleep.

Latest posts

Back