small dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
Hi - can I see pics of your small dogs - under 30lbs.

We are looking into the future and discussing what kind of dog we would like to add to our house. Right now we have a lab (who is 115 lbs - not an ounce of fat on him) and a mix who is about 45lbs.

I want to keep it small as we boat every weekend in the summer - it's hard pushing a 115lb dog in the boat from shore. I like the look of Pomeranians, long hair scares me for shedding reasons though. Hubby thinks all small dogs are foofooey - I tell him all the time - they all are dogs regardless - they like to eat horse poop and roll in stinky stuff!

Can I see pics of your smaller dogs - any breed - mutts and all!

Pearlok2.jpg

Pearl a Papillion

PeakaPooandPearl.jpg

Pom with my Papillion when a puppy

I have a new Cairn puppy. Smart as can be, great with children, no shedding, very little grooming and very hearty little dogs.

Pictured at 10 weeks and 13 weeks (and talking back to me already!)

Sydney10weeksweb.JPG

sydneytalkbigger.JPG

And this is my older female Cairn. She weighs around 14 lbs and one of the best dogs I have ever owned.

And I guarantee your husband will not think this breed is foo foo! This is my husbands favorite.......even more so than his Doberman.

whinny1.jpg

This is my miniature dachshund. She is a dappled and has one blue eye. Love her but they do shed a bit....not much at all. She weighs 10 lbs. Not a lot going on upstairs but was very easy to train. :lol:

angel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Mini Dachshunds here too... Smallest girl is 6.5 pounds and the biggest is Lark the baby whale at 13. and on a diet! LOVE THEM!!!!! Went from one last fall to 7 now.... yes I know that was over board but.... I have a pair of Pied having puppies May 21.... a pair of diluetes, one chocolate nad tan and the other blue and tan.... and three "extra" girls.... A dark red , a cream, and another little bity blue. Here are some pics.[/SIZE]

faye.jpg
brownnwhite.jpg

coco2.jpg
blu.jpg

Carol I would so love one like yours! Love that dapple thing!

Lyn

my one sister has a papillion and my other has a westie. Hubby doesn't like the westie - but I think they are cool - they are tough little dogs. Had mini dachsunds before - I like them too. I like the look of the cairn terrier too - do you have to get them clipped?

Thanks for the pics, keep them coming!!!

I like the look of the cairn terrier too - do you have to get them clipped?

Thanks for the pics, keep them coming!!!
Well, you can take them in to have their coat stripped once every year or so. Or you can do it yourself with a stripping comb. Not a big deal. That is about it for the grooming. Now instead of stripping sometimes I will get out my horse clippers and attach a 1" or so comb to it and clip them in spring. But they are very easy dogs to deal with and I personally can't stand hair all over the floor in my house or on my furniture. So the Cairns are perfect. They also have the brains to take out and about. They don't freak in new situation or around strangers.

Good luck.........

Thought I would mention this..........

Schnauzers are also great dogs. Non shedding but you do have to clip them. They are also extremely intelligent, loyal and easy to train.

I was allergic to dogs growing up and could only have non shedding breeds...........or so they thought back in the stone age when I was a kid! :lol:

I'd just like to make a point that any dog can be "foofoo" if that's the way you treat it.
default_wink.png
: I'm currently owned by a Toy Poodle who thinks he's a big dog. At five he's visited many of the 50 states, gone sailing on the ocean, kayaking, swimming, hiking, mountain biking, flying, etc., etc., etc. Every year we go to watch fireworks together somewhere for the 4th. Phillipe has wowed everyone who's met him with his incredible personality, including "tuff guys" who thought they could never like a Poodle, let alone fall in love with one...
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Don't want a foo foo dog?

Get a JRT. They're really a big dog packed into a small dogs body. They're bold and aren't scared of nothing, love water (in fact there are several on my JRT group that boat with theirs and one guy has his on his boat in the middle of the ocean). ANd their hearty little dudes.

117815524.jpg

118949196.jpg

121316234.jpg

66076807.jpg

ReaAnnandJR.jpg

91910846.jpg

95676524.jpg

109879632.jpg

38430631.jpg

38430694.jpg

This is "Molly". She is a Boston terrier and weighs 15 pounds. She is a CLOWN, and is always making me laugh and smile. She's like a hot water bottle too...she seems to throw off more heat than most other dogs. My Mom says she should take her home to lay on her arthritic knees!

molly1.jpg

To view more pics of her, visit Molly's Page

We have 2 toy poodles. Neither one of them are foo foo dogs. They enjoy playing and coming to the barn just as much as any other dog we've had. They actually think they are big dogs and can play with our 40 lb and 55 lb standard poodles. They dont shed and are very smart dogs.

This is Abby. She's 6 yrs old and weighs about 10 lbs.

AbbyInBucket.jpg

And this is Sugar. She's 15 yrs old and weighs about 10 lbs.

P1010063-3.jpg

P1010073-3.jpg

One more here Mini Shih Tzu only 5 lbs. does not shed, but does need grooming?

Teddy.jpg

His Puppies

shihtzuforsaleemail.jpg

Tally1.jpg

This is my little man Tally all 7 pounds of him.

Not a mean bone in his body, but he is not a foo foo kind of dog either.

I have a litter of schipperkes due on Friday. Check out the link to my website in my signature and go to the schipperke page.

Sonya: You would both LOVE a yorkie. They are long haired NON SHEDDING cuties, with big dog personalities. However they are expensive. But worth EVERY penny! Another benefit to a small dog is they live longer this is Keighley she's 13 this year.

Keighley.jpg

I have shetland Sheepdogs and Labs..

At the current time I only have 2 female Shelties a mother and daughter. The father to the now year old female was only 13" tall. The mother stands right at 15". yes they do need grooming and they do shed. However my oldest female does not have a full sheltie coat so she does not need a whole lot of brushing like the male I had did. here are a few pictures....

Kacey....15" tall weighs approx. 10-12 pounds. she was born 5/23/2000 She has had 2 litters of Pups for me.

kacey123.jpg
kaceyhead.jpg

Faith.....11" and weighs approx. 5-6 pounds. she was born 4/23/05

c97e4ba8.jpg
ff2e2601.jpg
Faithborn4-23-05.jpg
she is looking up at me and thats why her ears arent tipped.

Laddie the dad to Faith....13" and weighed approx. 14 pounds. He got sick with and had to be put down.

laddie.jpg

Snickers my female chocolate Lab, she is pure for chocolate. she was born 4/25/05. she stands approx. 24" and weighs approx. 65 pounds

snickersborn4-25-05.jpg

Dale my male Yellow Lab, he carries the chocolate gene so I am hoping for lots of chocolate puppies out of him.
default_yes.gif
: he was born 2/1/02. he is huge stands approx. 27" and over 100 pounds

Picture111.jpg

Well, I tell you we have 2 labs and 4 Irish shorty jrt's! Love 'em all! the jrt's have more game but they are awesome with my 3 little kids, fun, fun, love to play fetch, hardy little dogs with huge hearts! Fearless, low maintenance, I don't like longhaired dogs too much upkeep on their coats. Mine are excellent in the house, in the barn, in the car...couldn't ask for a better dog!

I have one broken coated the rest are smooth, oh and 6 puppies right now! They are going home soon!
default_yes.gif
:

IMO this is a dog with a big heart! They give you their all!

P1010653.jpg

P1010409.jpg

P1010529.jpg

P1010475.jpg

What is not to love!!

Carol, I would take that little cairn terrior off your hands in a heartbeat. She is a doll. Had never thought much of that breed, there aren't that many in our area. May have to look closer the next time we want a puppy.

Here is my daughters pug (loads of personality) Bunny, she hopped around when she was little, and the name stuck. Then there is my older peke Bandy-Q, she is getting on up there and goes thru her health issues from time to time.

f5bf3654.jpg

f5bdb961.jpg

Carol, I would take that little cairn terrior off your hands in a heartbeat. She is a doll. Had never thought much of that breed, there aren't that many in our area. May have to look closer the next time we want a puppy.
Hi Terri.........I am amazed that Cairns are not more popular myself........After all they are the WIZARD OF OZ dogs. But in a way I am grateful as I would hate to see them wind up in shelters like dalmations and the likes. It is also a wonder because they are so unneedy and trouble free.........and one of the best breed with kids. They are also not that expensive......even though all dogs are expensive, if you know what I mean. So I guess I do not want to see a remake of Oz.

Whitney, your Yorkie is precious. I also have had a number of Yorkies and they are GREAT dogs.

I even love JR's.......and have a 16 year old female........use to breed them a bit too.

Heck..........all these dogs are precious! They are someones family member!

Carol

Latest posts

Back