Skunk time

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbark

Reaction score
Hi all,

It is skunk season again and I know we all have that one dumb dog that can't see the stripe on the kitty and gets it full force in the face. I was in animal control and had many dogs and myself included that needed to be deskunked. Here is the absolute best way to handle your dog if he gets whacked.

First, skunk spray is an acid. You need to take some milk and baking soda, mix it together and get it down your dogs throat. The milk curdles in the acid, but the baking soda neutralizes the acid and they vomit it up. This keeps your dogs throat and stomach from burning with the skunk spray.

Next, make a paste out of the baking soda and spread it all over your dogs face and chest, because that is where he/she is going to get it. Let it dry and brush it off. Repeat this face pasting. Again, the baking soda neutralizes the acid and the smell calms right down. You can then bath your dog and if he still has a little odor, he might need another paste job. If you have this on you or your clothes, do the same thing and wash your clothes with the baking soda. I would let mine sit in baking soda and water overnight and the smell would be gone the next day.

You can forget the tomato juice, that is an acid and makes it worse. You can forget the vinegar, doesn't work.

Also, if you are near the ocean, salt water will take it off if your dog is willing to play in the surf.

Thanks so much for this information. So far this year I have not had to deskunk but I nearly always have one or two that can't resist the little creatures. My bloodhound is 5 and he has been skunked everyyear sometimes more than once. He is not the brightest bulb on the tree and he loves the little black and white critters.

Arlene

I had never heard of the milk and BS mixture to make them vomit...what a good idea.

The mixture I have used successfully uses baking soda too, but has a bit more to it. It too, changes the Ph level of the spray, and neutralizes it. It will, however, lighten a dark dogs coat...but I would rather get the smell off than worry about how perfect the coat looks.
default_laugh.png

1 litre (or quart) peroxide

1 cup Baking Soda

1 tsp liquid laundry detergent

I had never heard of the milk and BS mixture to make them vomit...what a good idea.
The mixture I have used successfully uses baking soda too, but has a bit more to it. It too, changes the Ph level of the spray, and neutralizes it. It will, however, lighten a dark dogs coat...but I would rather get the smell off than worry about how perfect the coat looks.
default_laugh.png

1 litre (or quart) peroxide

1 cup Baking Soda

1 tsp liquid laundry detergent
Have to be careful of the eyes with the peroxide and detergent as most dogs get it full force in the face. Try just the baking soda, it doesn't bother the eyes or nose.

Latest posts

Back