Skittish horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim P

Reaction score
Just wondering about my horse. I have had him 10 months. He is so skittish. I thought it would go away but it hasn't. When you put a lead rope on him he acts like he has had a lot of training. He minds so well. I have to walk up to him real slow, he will usually start moving away and I tell him to stop and move in real slow. He is so jumpy if I hit or bang something by him. He stands watching me from a distance. I always groom him last bc he knows it is his turn bc he watched me with the others. He is not mean at all. I have had him gelded. He is in his twenties. When I pet him and hold him he is so nervous at first. Do you think that he was beat or something before I got him or are some horses just naturally untrusting. He is the best one when it comes to manners, as long as you have a lead on him. You can lift his feet, brush him, whatever. I have had to take him to the vet several times to correct an abscess that ruptured from a tooth. He came here like that. Don't know how long it had been that way. I had to flush the hole and put antibiotics in for quite a while even after we got the tooth out. It has finally healed. Mine are just pets. We don't drive or show or any of that. Why do you think he acts this way?

Do you think he has a vision issue?

10 months is not that long for an older horse. I had a 20 year old broodmare and I believe it was nearly a year before she seemed to be at home.

Something I would try is a dose of banamine. If he seems calmer, it could be a pain issue.

I think that his vision is good. He is always watching everything when people go in or are around him. He is finally healthy. Do I have to get ban amine from the vet or does tractor supply carry it?

I think that his vision is good. He is always watching everything when people go in or are around him. He is finally healthy. Do I have to get ban amine from the vet or does tractor supply carry it?
You have to get it from the vet. It is a paste, in a tube like a wormer. It's good to keep it on hand. One of those medicine chest pluses.

Sounds like you really notice your horses. I do think some horses are more reactive than others.

How is he in the herd? Is he accepted, or does he stay on the edge? Maybe he is "low man" and has just learned to be wary of being driven out of the herd. How does he carry his tail? A little exercise you might try is working with his tail. Lifting, rubbing under, massaging the tail bone. The tail is an indicator of confidence. He might not care for it at first, but he will soon enjoy it.

Do you ever take him for walks? You could try asking him to carry a litter bag, then stop to pick up litter. Being out and about with you may help.

Hey Kim,

I recently purchased a 9yo broodmare and after reading your post I feel like we may have a similar story. I purchased this little mare knowing that she was timid and I would have some work to do to gain her trust. I have definitely found that spending time alone with her has been of great benefit to our progress.

She is usually in with 3 other minis and they all get along fine. I was told she could be a little harder to catch when she was in with others, so I thought I would put the others across the other side of the driveway whilst I spent some quality time with her. She is still able to see the other three at all times and does not stress which is really important. On the first occasion I did this, it took her a while to approach me. I sat down on the ground, more to her level to see if this would help and sure enough it did. She is also very nervous at first like your boy. I have found that doing some desensitising exercises with her has been the biggest plus to our progress.

I started by patting her on the neck and working my way down to her whither. I did this for quite a while, being gentle and made sure to make no sudden movements or noises. This was going very well and I thought in the same motions I would see if she would let me run my hands down her front legs. She was not very impressed at first but after I started alternating between top of her mane down to her whither then top of her front legs to the top of her hooves she seemed to relax for me.

After I did this for a while I then started at her whither and worked my hand along her back to her tail head. (Hello whats going on here ?? I could sense she was concerned as I could feel her stand up slightly and the look in her eye had somewhat changed from "I feel quite relaxed" to "Not sure Im liking this"). I did not want her to think of this as a bad experience so I moved back to Mane to whither patting. She then relaxed quite quickly so I thought I would give it another go. She was fine. After I did this for a while I moved onto her back legs and she was really relaxed. I then thought I would see if she would let me have a look at her udder and to my surprise it was no worries for her. I think one big thing that also helped is I was constantly talking to her at all times and I rewarded her at times with some carrot. We have been doing these small exercises for only a few weeks but I am very happy her progress and will continue to work on things with her.

I guess what im trying to say at the end of the day is that sometimes you have to take a little steps backwards to go forwards. All horses have a story to tell, some are easier to read than others and some will hide theirs due to bad experiences & situations.

Hope this is some help to you
default_smile.png

I have three. Two are geldings (just did that a couple of months ago) over twenty. He is one of them. Then I have the pregnant mare. He is the daddy. The mare has always been boss. He is second. Him and the mare have always been a pair. The smallest old one is low man. I would get on to them at feeding time for being mean to my little old one. I pampered the little one most. As for his tail, he always has a pretty stance. I love to watch him walk or trot. He seems so proper. Once I get him he is calm in a few minutes and will let me do whatever. I went out there with them just a minute ago and tried what you said Ryan, he is just fine once he sees I am not going to do anything he doesn't like. I can pet him all over and he is very relaxed. I can pick up his tail too. But if the dog runs up or I scrunch the ground with my boot and make a noise he is startled and gone. He want come for snacks like the others. I have to go to him and give it to him or he will just stand and watch. I don't know I feel he was abused or just not given lots of affection. I think he has had some kind of training though. He is just always so alert. I have to walk them. We have not fenced in the yard yet hopefully we will have that done in the next month or so. I wanted the pretty white fence or the pretty post fence. It is a little pricey for me right now so I am going to have to settle for post and cable. We are going to fence in a couple of acres. My husband does not want to put too much money in it bc we are going to build and move starting next summer. I am still keeping this place though. We used to take them out to where we are going to move and let them run free on about 20 acres. They loved it! But as Patty got farther along, I did not want to carry her in the trailer. He loved going out there and knew it was time to go when I would gather them up. I just walk them around the yard now to give them exercise. They want to run so bad. I can only run for a short distance with them and I am not near as fast as they want to go. He is the one I always put the grandkids on and walked around the yard with. We just threw a towel over his back and let them hold his mane. We most always had someone walking beside him in case one of the kids slipped off to the side, and I would lead him. We have let them loose in the yard. They would run around the house so fast. They stayed in the yard but we would have a hard time getting him. My three year old grand baby was the one who would have to catch him for us. All she had to do was walk up and hold his harness once you touch it he just freezes and does what you want. I will just keep taking it slow with him. Do you think he knows he is the daddy? I am curious to see how he is going to act. That is probably a dumb question but oh well.

As Marsha said earlier some horses will take longer than others to settle in. One of my big horses took nearly 2 years to settle with me.

Im going to try what I explained in my first post again tonight after work. This time I am going to introduce a plastic bag . I will let her see the bag first then wrap it around my hand. I will let her hear the noises it makes before I make contact. If she doesn't like it then I will remove it. You should be able to find some good links online in regards to desensitising horses.

I think it will be more of a case of he will know that patty was his girlfriend and can be once the foal is weened. Just be very careful and ensure they can be separated about four weeks before the big arrival. Patty should have her own yard/ enclosure to ensure her safety and that of the foal.

Best of luck
default_smile.png

We are going to separate the pen tomorrow. Just section her off a corridor of her own inside the pen. Should I put tarps up over the fence to give her privacy and keep wishbone and peanut from looking in or should I leave it alone. I know wishbone is not going to like being away from Patty.

Hi Kim,

Just wanted to second Ryan's advice especially regarding "desensitising". Like both of you, one of my older minis was a bit on the skittish side. I took her for about a 1/2 mile walk each day at first just letting her watch/look/listen to the world - dogs, tractors, cars (if any went by), mud puddles, etc. When she handled this - and it took about a month before she would walk almost a mile without being nervous - I added a small plastic tarp - just draped it over her back and off we went.

She wasn't bad and after about 10 minutes it went unnoticed. Like Ryan, I would add a little extra 'something' whenever possible and she came along nicely. At the end of the year, our granddaughter showed her in halter in an open show and they both survived without a scratch
default_hypocrite.gif

Also - you do not have any dumb questions - just lots of care for your animals - good for you - ask away! ! People and ponies are never too old to learn something new! (Which is great because I am no longer 21
default_whistling.gif
)

I think it is very hard to know what may or may not have been in his past. People sometimes assume that because a horse (or any pet) is reactive and timid that it is because of abuse, but some horses are just that way, even if they are always loved and cared for. So much has to do with their basic personality in addition to how they've been handled.

Your gelding sounds a bit like ours. Max has been with us for 13 years, and even now trust doesn't come easily for him. He doesn't like feeling confined and usually takes a minute or two to decide that he really wants to be "caught". He is well trained and when in the right mindset he is fantastic- well behaved, confident, totally safe, trusting, etc. But if you aren't showing him that you are a leader that is paying attention and taking care of him, he reverts right back to the "get out of here now, ask questions later" mode. When we have issues is when we're not giving our full focus on him and the task at hand. Like yours, he seems "better" with little kids. I think this is because he feels in some way protective of them. He somehow understands that he must be very quiet and careful around them.

As far as I know, Max was never abused. But if you lose his trust, it can take a long time to get it back. We love him, though, and he has many wonderful qualities.

It makes me feel better to know that could just be his temperament. Ryan I have been doing what you said. I have been spending more time with him, on his level we had another nasty night, so they were looking pretty rough and dirty today. I groomed the first two, of course talking to them the whole time. I can be loud and silly with them. Wishbone is watching everything from a distance. Low and behold as I was telling Peanut how pretty he looked and admiring him, I saw wishbone come up to about three foot from me for his turn! Of course I am lots slower grooming him. He only flinched once when I was brushing his mane and brought the brush up a little closer to his face bc peanut and Patty were all up in our business trying to get me to brush them. He did not try to run and it was more of a relaxed flinch than usual. He still was not happy about that. Later I stood outside the gate and fed them some apple nuggets. YES he came and got his! I still am going to keep working with him. I want him to come all the way to me with confidence. I have not worked on making any noise with him yet. Baby steps. Thanks guys!

Good luck.

Right when I think I know what they're doing and why, they do something else.

Our mare, Coco, has an issue with being haltered. I had a trainer (who left and gently advised me that some horses might not get there, and perhaps I should sell.) My husband thinks somebody beat her around the head in the past; (which actually makes some sense to me based on her behavior.)

I can halter Coco, but not out in the pasture like I can the others. She has to be in the stall in just the right place, and then easy-as-pie the halter goes on. Of our three, she follows me around the most. If she's off-halter I can call her over to help me stand up (I'm a little gimpy so if I squat down, I need a little help getting up so I've trained all three of ours to let me set a hand over their withers to help me up.) I can call her and point at the stall and she'll go in so I can put the halter on. But, by God, if I try to just walk up to her in the pasture and to put the halter on... NO WAY, she's gone. When the farrier is here, she'll lift her feet and then I have to tap her leg to have her put her foot down but jingle a halter in her direction, she's gone. I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up, it's my understanding that miniatures are very sensitive to banamine, not something you want to give unless you have to for pain/colic.

I've had some good experience with SmartPak UltraCalm. It has taken my skittish mare from not wanting to be touched much to where I can rub her even if she isn't caught now. I've only used it for about 6 months then switched her over to Quinnessence, which seems to work as well (considering she's not working) and cheaper (all still cheaper than using Banamine for calming)

Training Day power also used to work really well on the big horses I have worked with but never had to go to that extreme on minis

Just a heads up, it's my understanding that miniatures are very sensitive to banamine, not something you want to give unless you have to for pain/colic.
My suggestion for the banamine is for just that--checking for pain. A horse that is pain-free has a different demeanor than one that is in pain. I have had more than one vet suggest this, as we rely mostly on their body language to communicate with us.

It might make an interesting topic: how we discern whether our horses are in pain.

Some horses are just nervous nellies and need extensive and consistent training and desensitizing.

I've not heard this about banamine, but have about bute.

Banamine will also calm a horse down. It might not be the lack if pain that makes him chill out, but the drug itself.

Also, banamine is IV ONLY. If you can't hit a vein reliably, DO NOT give it to your horse. We did a dissection in college where we gave the animal banamine IM 24 hrs pre euthanasia. Holy crap I will never give banamine IM again in my life. Abcess wasn't even the word.

Are you sure he sees ok?

Latest posts

Back