Skinny pregnant mare I need to vent

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Bits

Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago I went and looked at three minis. There was a grumpy mare with her yearling colt still at her side, with the stallion. They were all in the same pen. The people told me she was very grumpy and would let them near the (colt) or wouldn't let him near her. Come to find out the mare had a foal the previous year and it died two days later. They didn't know why. I asked her if she was back in foal they said they didn't know but they were out together during the day and stalled seperately at night. They were shocked that I asked if she was back in foal ( as if that couldn't happen) UGH They wanted them to go as family. WHAT!!! Okay so I make arrangements to take all three.

Okay, so it is now weaning time, the colt had never had a lead or halter on, feet picked up or trimed (you should see the thrush he has no frog left), The stallion and mare got teathered out and the colt ran around the yard free. I take the stallion and colt have them castrated. Sent the mare with a freind to give her a break, and give the colt a reality slap.

The other night my friend calls me and says you need to take the mare back I think she is in foal. She is much calmer and a lot happier not being pestered by a yearling and a 5 year old stallion. I wasn't really surprised but I hope for her sake it wasn't true. Well now she does look in foal her coat is still a little long, but she is shedding. I didn't really notice as she was thin with a very hairy with a winter coat. She didn't look as good as the other two did but she was eating for three. So yeah I do feel a little guilty I didn't take more notice in her. She is 100lbs under weight easily. But her colt was born on July 1, 2009, so she could be due now or could be sometime after. Im just trying to get her fed up enough to hopefully have a good chance of having a healthy foal. Im in this one for the long hall. Yes I have experence in foaling larger horses, so I am hoping this would be to much harder.

I just don't understand the thinking of people. Read a book, gain some knowledge before.....Geeze.

I'd post pictures but right now im using Ubunto for internet, because of a harddrive problem. I will post her pictures when I can. Thanks for letting me vent.

About 6 weeks ago I went and looked at three minis. There was a grumpy mare with her yearling colt still at her side, with the stallion. They were all in the same pen. The people told me she was very grumpy and would let them near the (colt) or wouldn't let him near her. Come to find out the mare had a foal the previous year and it died two days later. They didn't know why. I asked her if she was back in foal they said they didn't know but they were out together during the day and stalled seperately at night. They were shocked that I asked if she was back in foal ( as if that couldn't happen) UGH They wanted them to go as family. WHAT!!! Okay so I make arrangements to take all three.

Okay, so it is now weaning time, the colt had never had a lead or halter on, feet picked up or trimed (you should see the thrush he has no frog left), The stallion and mare got teathered out and the colt ran around the yard free. I take the stallion and colt have them castrated. Sent the mare with a freind to give her a break, and give the colt a reality slap.

The other night my friend calls me and says you need to take the mare back I think she is in foal. She is much calmer and a lot happier not being pestered by a yearling and a 5 year old stallion. I wasn't really surprised but I hope for her sake it wasn't true. Well now she does look in foal her coat is still a little long, but she is shedding. I didn't really notice as she was thin with a very hairy with a winter coat. She didn't look as good as the other two did but she was eating for three. So yeah I do feel a little guilty I didn't take more notice in her. She is 100lbs under weight easily. But her colt was born on July 1, 2009, so she could be due now or could be sometime after. Im just trying to get her fed up enough to hopefully have a good chance of having a healthy foal. Im in this one for the long hall. Yes I have experence in foaling larger horses, so I am hoping this would be to much harder.

I just don't understand the thinking of people. Read a book, gain some knowledge before.....Geeze.

I'd post pictures but right now im using Ubunto for internet, because of a harddrive problem. I will post her pictures when I can. Thanks for letting me vent.

default_no.gif

Very sad, I hope that everything ends up okay.

Latest posts

Back