Size of mares/stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Track Acres

Reaction score
Hello

I am posting this in hopes of hearing other people thoughts on this subject. I have a 33 inch stallion and my mare I am wanting to breed this year is about 30-31 inches. Is this safe and what have other people done. Not breed this mare ?

My mare is 7 years old and in good healrh and is in excellant physcal condition. If you want to reply via email thats okay. It is [email protected]. This mare has never been bred.

Should she be bred to a smaller stallion first ?

My only idea on what my stallion will throw is this past spring my one and only foal of the year was a 17 inch foal that was 6 weeks prematue .Even thou he was born dead I did measure him for the sake of facts. Mare was 32.5.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from people who have ideas on this.

I have posted a pic of her and her name is Rose.

reg pics 072.JPG

What is the build of the stallion? Is he slim and leggy, or is he more stocky built with heavier bone?

Unless your stallion is built like a belgian plow horse (i.e., extremely heavy boned) I would not worry at all about it. I have a 33" mare that I bred to my 37.5 stallion and the resulting foal is AWESOME.

This is just my experience, or rather a friends experience. But she bought a mare that was, I believe 29 inchs. She was supposed to be in foal. So she turned her out with her whole herd. That includes a 34 inch stud. Turns out she was not pregnant when she got her. But had gotten pregnant by her 34 inch stud. Long story short the foal was to big and could not "Get through" and ended up needing a c section but the vet didnt get there in time and both didnt make it. Not sure how often this happens. But this was a maiden mare as well.

Gal and trixie reg pic 038.JPGHello

Thanks for the thoughs so far. My stallion is med. build .Not heavy boned at all. I so want a foal from the both of these horses, but wanted to be safe also. I will try to find a picture of him and try to get it attached. My pics are not the best, winter hair and not possed. He has a short boxy head.Gal and trixie reg pic 038.JPGGal and trixie reg pic 038.JPG

I think refinement, as in a "slighter build", is far more important than height. However, I know a lot of people will call a mini "refined" based on cute head. I think it's important to look at the build of the horse, as in if the stallion is finely built, ("small /fine boned"), I don't think a couple or even few inches taller should be an issue.

If your stallion is slim built it should be just fine when foaling! But this is her first foaling so it is sometimes always harder. You could ask your vet what she thinks. But I think she would do fine!

I think it is personal choice. What do you want from the foal? Or just want a foal?

I'm breeding to the most refined stallion I can get as my mare is heavy.

Hello

we are drivers here. We also show halter.

I am going to try to get a better pic of my stallion tomorrow. The one I posted makes him look bulker than he really is.

Honestly? To answer your question directly, no horse is safe when you are breeding. From where I sit, you are taking a chance every time you breed a mare. Foaling is a crap shoot. Some make it and others don't and sometimes under the best care and for no apparent reason. That's the chance you are going to take.

This is Galaxy. Not a super picture but maybe better than yesterday. Galaxy 001.JPG

Would like to thank everyone who did share their thoughts with me.Galaxy 001.JPG

My best advise is if in question have your vet examine the mare, some large mares have small pelvic opens, some small mares have large ones!

I agree with several points already made:

Any breeding has risk and can turn out badly regardless of how hard you try to prevent it

Breeding a stockier stallion to a smaller mare just adds to the risk.

Having a vet exam by a knowledgeable vet is a good safety measure to take if unsure.

I personally would not risk it for a first time mare, if I had a mare that had proven herself as an easy foaler I might consider breeding to my taller boys but still would look at refinement as well. While your stallion isnt overly stocky, you say he does have a short boxy head, and that alone can cause a more difficult birth if the head has trouble passing through. JMO but like I said, I think I would find a smaller more refined stallion for at least the first breeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
The height difference is within reason, and I don't see any problems there.....one or two inches should be just fine. I am mostly concerned with the hip of the mare. It appears from your picture of her, she has a nice, wide well developed hip. If that's the case, and she's not narrow and "refined" you should be good, but your vet can check her and be sure. With a stallion with a big, boxy head, you want to be sure that baby will pass through the hip without problems.

Good luck with your breeding, and please join us on the mare/foal forum here on LB, as we'd love to watch her progression!

I would prefer to err on the side of caution and loved having a refined 29" stallion to breed to my taller mare. However, my junior stallion is 33" but very narrow and leggy. I would not want to breed him to a mare under 30", but 31" and up seems fine. My mares have substance, they are not "pencil-ly" nor are they very stocky. I agree that a narrow-producing stallion is probably more important than a short stallion that is less refined. That said, dystocias happen, and the very word can strike fear in you. Use your best discernment and think it through very carefully. If he's a stocky stallion... then maybe it's best not to risk it.

DSC02975.JPGHello

Just wanted to let everyone know that I took all advice into account, and I decided to breed Rose to my appy stallion. He is 31.5 and ultra refined. He is also known for his tiny babies. I will try to post a picture of him. Maybe my splash stallion next time. Thanks to all who weighed in on this subject.

Carole

Reactions: Tab
Breeding can be and is a crap shoot- I have a mare who is 33 inches and stocky as heck. We bought her bred to a 29 inch stallion- that baby came out big enough to be saddle broke and is 37 inches at 6 yrs old. Her next breeding was to a 30 inch stallion- that foal came out huge as well and is currently 39 inches tall! Her last foal we bred to a 29 inch stallion again and that foal we lost to a breech. She was so big that there was hardly any room for the vet to get in and get her out! There is nothing in this mare's pedigree over 33 inches, and nothing to make you think she'd throw giraffes every time she foals.

Me, personally, I prefer to go with smaller stallions on larger mares.

Very exciting, Carole. And I hope you will come join us on the Mare/Foal forum here on LB, so we can enjoy watching and waiting with you!!

Latest posts

Back