Size of Driving Arena

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmatthewtaylor

Reaction score
We are considering having an indoor driving arena, we are a little limited by space, although we'd love to have a LARGE arena.

My question is what is the smallest it can be and still be usable for driving for <46'' ponies?

Dr Taylor

I am curious to know what is suggested as well. We are also building an area (outside) I think we will be able to make it 120 x 90. (possibly only 100 x 90) Our horses are all under 38 in.

We are also limited by space, so our indoor arena is 60' x 80'. There is a photo of it on our website. That is about as minimal as I would go. We have worked our 48" Shetland in there, and you can get a decent trot, but not a brilliant one, but it is good for working on bending!
default_biggrin.png
As soon as the snow is off the ground outside, we can't wait to work horses outdoors. The indoor is good for starting horses and in a pinch in bad weather. I would love one AT LEAST 100' long or more. 80' wide would be nice, too.

We are going to clear more trees outside for a regulation driven dressage arena (roughly 100' x 300'). The more room the better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our arena is about 90 x 90 and it is pretty small. It's good for starting horses in, but you can't really get an extended trot down very well with the Shetlands. For minis it's okay. I wouldn't go any smaller though.

Andrea

My arena is 60 x 156 and has worked well for the harness and road ponies (and pleasure ponies) both Shetland and Hackney.

arenawall.jpg

If I had a choice of going longer or narrower (I don't think I would go narrower than 60 ft), I would go longer. The straight aways are really nice for the road ponies.

When I was in NH had limited space for indoor (which was really to use in bad weather or in winter) - made mine 60 X 40 and that was for a 16 hand saddlebred - yes I drove in the indoor. It was enough to keep him legged up for the winter and ready for show early spring. The expense was so much less than a normal size indoor. If you are interested in more info - send a PM.

Latest posts

Back