Sire of Boones Little Apache

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I'd always thought the sire and dam of Boones Little Apache was not known for sure, but I recently saw him attributed to Gold Melody Boy as his sire and a mare called Johnstons Melody as his dam. Does anyone know anything about this? And who is Johnstons Melody? Who is she sired by?

Thanks!

Gold Melody Boy

AMHR - 47434A BOONE'S LITTLE APACHE

Sex: STALLION Color: SORREL PINTO

Height: 32.00" Mane & Tail: FLAXEN

Date Foaled: 06/01/1975 Markings (1): STAR, STRIP & SNIP;

Date Registered: 04/19/1994 Markings (2):

Current Owner: CHARLES OR MARY PENLAND Markings (3):

Breeder: LOWELL BOONE Markings (4):

Click on any registered animal to view it's details and pedigree.

SHETLAND: LIGHTNING BUG

622A GOLD MELODY BOY 33.00"

SHETLAND: GINN'S MELODY

AMHA: JOHNSTON'S MELODY 30.00"

Last edited by a moderator:
Gold Melody Boy
AMHR - 47434A BOONE'S LITTLE APACHE

Sex: STALLION Color: SORREL PINTO

Height: 32.00" Mane & Tail: FLAXEN

Date Foaled: 06/01/1975 Markings (1): STAR, STRIP & SNIP;

Date Registered: 04/19/1994 Markings (2):

Current Owner: CHARLES OR MARY PENLAND Markings (3):

Breeder: LOWELL BOONE Markings (4):

Click on any registered animal to view it's details and pedigree.

SHETLAND: LIGHTNING BUG

622A GOLD MELODY BOY 33.00"

SHETLAND: GINN'S MELODY

AMHA: JOHNSTON'S MELODY 30.00"
Well, thanks Mona! I don't know how I went this long not knowing this. :stupid Looks like my little Corona has one more cross to GMB that I didn't know about!

I looked up Melody in the AMHA studbook but she is not listed under Johnstons Melody, so I tried Johnsons, and still nothing.

I looked up Melody in the AMHA studbook but she is not listed under Johnstons Melody, so I tried Johnsons, and still nothing.
Thanks Mona. I haven't even heard of her before. It would interesting to know who her sire is with her name containing "melody" in it.

I just find this stuff fascinating.
default_smile.png

Hi,

Johnstons Melody may not have been registered. At that time, I know not all of the Johnsons horses were registered, but I think most of them were.

Alyssa

P.S I am new here
default_smile.png
:)

Also, about Boones Little Apache;

I believe he was one of the lesser known sons of Gold Melody boy, obviously, there are 4 very well known sons:

Roan Ranger

Johnsons Gold Bar

Johnsons Gold Boy (Who just recently passed away this year.)

Witmaacks Mickey Mouse

And Gold melody boy also had many daughters. I think had 36 kids in all.

I believe he was one of the lesser known sons of Gold Melody boy, obviously, there are 4 very well known sons:

Roan Ranger

Johnsons Gold Bar

Witmaacks Mickey Mouse

Lesser known is right! I can't believe I didn't know he was sired by GMB.
default_wacko.png
It's sad that they all are gone now. There are lots of grandkids out there but even they are getting older obviously. I'd say the Roan Ranger sons and daughters are the hardest to come by but they are out there. There's one website that advertises they have the last living son of Roan Ranger!LOL Not!! I can probably name 6 or 7 that are still living just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I was very curious about the discrepency between AMHA and AMHR Studbooks when it comes to Boone's Little Apache...one registry says he's a Gold Melody Boy son and one says he's unknown sire. So I went directly to the source and the man who would know, the man whose pre-fix is on the horse...Mr. Lowell Boone. I talked to Mr. Boone about this not too long before he died. He told me that he did not know the heritage behind Boone's Little Apache. He told me that he bought Boone's Little Apache from a horse trader, and registered the horse under his name (which he told me was a pretty common practice in the early days), and that he never knew who the sire and dam was of the horse. He said he did not know how the horse ever got associated with Gold Melody Boy as it must have happened after he no longer owned the horse. But that is proof enough for me, and I consider Boone's Little Apache, Unknown sire and unknown dam. So just my two cents on the subject, and my conversation with Mr. Boone about the horse that I wanted to share.

I was very curious about the discrepency between AMHA and AMHR Studbooks when it comes to Boone's Little Apache...one registry says he's a Gold Melody Boy son and one says he's unknown sire. So I went directly to the source and the man who would know, the man whose pre-fix is on the horse...Mr. Lowell Boone. I talked to Mr. Boone about this not too long before he died. He told me that he did not know the heritage behind Boone's Little Apache. He told me that he bought Boone's Little Apache from a horse trader, and registered the horse under his name (which he told me was a pretty common practice in the early days), and that he never knew who the sire and dam was of the horse. He said he did not know how the horse ever got associated with Gold Melody Boy as it must have happened after he no longer owned the horse. But that is proof enough for me, and I consider Boone's Little Apache, Unknown sire and unknown dam. So just my two cents on the subject, and my conversation with Mr. Boone about the horse that I wanted to share.
Now that's interesting! I love hearing from people who actually knew some of these older breeders who are sadly no longer with us. I with I had known about miniature horses when I was younger. I think I would have really enjoyed knowing some of these people personally.

I have a mare whose parentage is unknown as far as the registries are concerned but I had the good fortune to speak through email to someone who owned her for about 10 years. She had a letter from Lowell Boone documenting the mare's pedigree and confirming she was a Gold Melody Boy II granddaughter. I just really find this stuff very interesting.

I remember I asked the same question a while ago, and was also told that Boones Little Apache was mistakenly registered as soon of Gold Melody Boy according to Mr. Boone. Funny though that the mistake has never been corrected
default_wacko.png

Like Horsedude, I too talked with Lowell at an AMHA meeting.....specifically to find out about Apache as we had been succesfully showing a son of Apache's (Indian Snow). Lowell Boone stated to me the same thing.....horse trader/unknown pedigree. Even said he had tried to find out more since he liked the horse a lot.

He also told me the story of how no one wanted to buy a"stragley" buckskin colt as a yrling, couldn't get rid of him --- fortunately for him! It was Buckeroo, an ugly duckling. Fine gentleman, Lowell Boone.

default_new_shocked.gif
Wow this is interesting as I have a mare that has Boones Little Apache on her AMHR papers stating GMB. She throws stunning correct foals....if this be the case why do they not remove that on the papers?
default_wacko.png

I looked in an old AMHA stud book and it has listed as sire and dam as unknown. I don't have access to AMHR stud book but if you go to theallbreedpedigree.com it has sire and dam as Gold Melody Boy and Johnstons Melody.You can see their pedigrees back to the early 1900s as Shetland ponys, Also look up Rowdy and Buckeroo. They go way back also. I don't know how accurate the pedigrees are but I have some of my horses that are Toyhorse breeding and from the pedigrees that I got from Marilyn Hoffman who got them from Tiki (sp?) they seem to match up.

QUOTE (Liss @ Oct 11 2008, 07:33 PM)

Roan Ranger

Johnsons Gold Bar

Witmaacks Mickey Mouse

Lesser known is right! I can't believe I didn't know he was sired by GMB.
wacko.gif
It's sad that they all are gone now. There are lots of grandkids out there but even they are getting older obviously. I'd say the Roan Ranger sons and daughters are the hardest to come by but they are out there. There's one website that advertises they have the last living son of Roan Ranger!LOL Not!! I can probably name 6 or 7 that are still living just off the top of my head.
I know this is an old topic but was browsing thru. My profile picture is a Roan Ranger son we recently purchased. Second to last son born. Exported to New Zealand! Still very much living!

I am after some information on the US import horses/lines I have, if anyone can help. http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=128510&st=10&p=1480807entry1480807. Anything that people know or have images.

Thanks!

If anyone is still around that has knowledge of the Johnstons horses, they might be able to shed some light on this subject. If the records are correct GMB was bred to many of the Johnstons mares. I have found in my searches that GMB was bred to Johnstons Honey and they had Johnstons Penny, who he was bred back to, and they produced Wittmaacks Black Beauty(mare).

If he did produced Boones Little Apache with Johnstons Melody they were line breeding as WBBeauty was then bred to BLApache. I enjoy looking at all the old breeding lines.

IF GMB was out of Ginns Melody by Lightning Bug, they may have decided his parentage was "unknown" because both of them were Shetlands. This was back when miniatures did NOT want to be associated with Shetlands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back