Single cup coffee makers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonloubri

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a single cup coffee maker. Does anyone have one? If so, what brand, model, pros/cons, how long have you had it and would you recommend it. I would appreciate any input as there are several and the reviews I read vary considerably.

I also have a keurig...I use it in the rv. Pros are its fast, nothing to clean really, and it's great if you only want 1 cup, the pods come in many flavors and varieties if you like to try new stuff. Cons are you can't use a large mug under it, the coffee pods are expensive. You can use your own coffee with a plastic refillable pod, but I had to purchase that seperately.

I have Keurig for a year and love it. I did get the cheapest one (around $90.00) and wish It held more water. 6 ounces to me is NOT a cup of coffee. LOL. Also I bought the pod to use my own coffee. Much cheaper. But unlike Sonya I can actually put a big cup (like kwik trip travel mug) under mine but like I said I do need to add more water to get a big cup full. I can't imagine life without it.

I love my French Press. My coffee is fresh roasted, fresh-ground, as strong as I want it, and delicious. I LOVE great coffee -- life is too short for anything less -- and this is absolutely the best I've ever had. No filters, so no waste (grounds are composted), and I love making one mug at a time so that it never sits on a burner. Bonus: a Bodum French Press is only $20.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most keurig units allow you to remove the portion upon which you sit your cup to allow for the taller travel mugs.

Yep, can be pricy but with careful buying about 50 cent per cup. Less than coffeehouse. Always fresh. If two people want different brew, strength it's easy. You can purchase units that allow you to choose size/amount of water that goes thru, so 6 oz, 8 oz, etc. If you open the lid and reclose the machine thinks new pod inserted, so you can run more water. Can you tell that I demo these? LOL You can get cider, teas, cocoas, all types of coffee.......nice! Convenient! The "classic" model allows choice of 2 water/cup sizes to disperse, 6 or 8 oz. In my area they average $120. This time of year many sales. These make the hottest water I've ever encountered....good coffee with that, just be very careful to let it cool a little.

I actually have two ot the Keurigs units and use neither. I still brew via drip. Also have two units that use different type pods. I can tell you that each of the K-cups from any Green Mountain product has 3 scoops of coffee in each. That seemed a real waste to me as I can put 6 scoops in my drip and get 9 cup pot (two K-cups). Of course that is 9 6oz cups, not a real mug...and the single units will make an 8 oz cup easily with one pod. I truly prefer the Grn Mt coffees as they are really good! In fact, I buy from them via computer and get the bags of ground coffee.

Just be sure to register the pot when you buy to be able to take advantage of their customer service should they fail.

Has anyone tried those reusable single cup container pods? I keep seeing commercials for them and thought they might not be a bad idea at home... It wouldn't just save money but also open up more options when it comes to what coffee you get to enjoy.

I purcahsed a Keurig years ago - one of the earliest models and it just broke. I'm replacing it with the new Keurig Vue. I love mine for making tea or hot chocolate or if I need an extra cup of coffee during the day. So many more flavors and strengths of coffees than when I started with mine. Anyway, I wouldn't be without one but I'll never stop grinding fresh beans for my drip coffee pot in the morning.

Jill, I think you are talking about the thing that Bonnie and I mentioned, you put your own coffee in it (they are around $12). I did buy one but never have used it, certainly would be cheaper than using the coffee pods. I got my keurig as a gift a few years ago when they first came out, so it's probably an older model...I can't fit anything much larger than a teacup under it, but it is great for the rv. The hot chocolate pods are awesome! I did use it at first in the house in the winter....awesome for an evening cup of coffee after dinner with a shot of kaluha in it...yum! I normally only drink coffee in the am, 2 mugs and the hubby too, so I just use my Mr. Coffee drip.

default_smile.png
I still do my REAL coffee, the one that wakes me up, as always.......... spoonful of instant coffee, an ounce of hot water from the tap
default_biggrin.png
But H likes the Keurig and I like it when I take the time to do more than just get the "fix" I crave
default_yes.gif

Thank you for the responses.

susanne - I have not heard of the French Press. Will be checking into that along with the keurig.

I love my Keurig, have the large model at home and the small one cup at a time at work. The one cup one though, the coffee doesn't come out hot enough so I recommend the bigger model for home use.

We had a keurig, but it didnt last us long. Now we have a mr.Coffee with a water basin, so it makes a cup of coffee in no time! We love it. its so simple, and you can get a personal k cup that lets you use your own coffee!

We have a Tassimo and really like it. We aren't big "flavoured coffee" people so it suits our needs. We have found some nice hot chocolate discs and now that Tim Hortons sells the discs we occassionally splurge on them, and regularly use decaf maxwell house coffee.

I've developed an addiction to those Maxwell House French Vanilla Iced Latte things... They are so good!!!

31t0DJCVgSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jill, it that something that can be used in the Keurig? I drink the International French Vanilla comes in a can and add boiling water. Mmmmm just finished a cup.

I am a tea drinker and I went with Tassimo because they had more tea flavors at the time. I love it! My husband now has one at work.

djskid, I had not heard of the Tassimo but looked up info on them. Sounds interesting. I like lattes and cappuccinos. Thanks for the info.

Back