Silver Mist (Misty) - 4/25/84 - 7/29/05

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hosscrazy

Reaction score
After a two year battle with Cushings disease, I lost my beloved Misty...

I came home at lunchtime on Friday to find Misty extremely distressed - whinnying loudly, circling the paddock in a fast pace, covered in sweat and her whole body was shaking. I was able to get her into her stall, took her temp and it was 104. I immediately called the vet, gave her banamine, kept wiping her down with cool water. She would lay down, stretch her neck far out, and twist her head sideways, but it just did not seem like it was colic. I did listen to her gut sounds which sounded a little gassy on one side, but nothing alarming. Vet came within an hour - tubed her with mineral oil, antibiotics, and then 3 ringers of iv fluids. Temp was not dropping, and she was still distressed, even after banamine. Her heart rate was between 90-100 (should be 60).

Then Misty started coughing. Vet went back to listen to her heart, and at that moment, she said the heart sound went from a thump-thump to a washing machine sound, which meant a valve in her heart burst. Within a matter of seconds, Misty went down to her knees and my vet told me we were euthanizing her.

I held her head on my lap, stroking her face and asking her to just let go, while the vet helped her over to the other side. She went peacefully, knowing that I was there with her all the way.

I left her body with her son Cody for about 2 hours, while waiting for the animal pick up person to come, to try to help him deal with the loss of his mother. He's taking it really hard, and that's just killing me. 'm bringing down Misty's daughter Gracie today, to come live with me and Cody. I am blessed to have two of Misty's offspring.

It has been a long, hard battle with the Cushings disease, and I do feel lucky that Misty went as fast as she did, and that I was here when she needed help to the other side. I do believe in my heart that Misty waited for me to come home at lunchtime, as I do every day, to make sure I was with her.

Thank you, everyone on the forum for your support and help over the last few years with Misty. I don't know what I would have done without you guys. For those of you who didn't know Misty, she was my 21 year old Just mare (Just Brandy/Just Teena).

Goodbye, my Misty-Mama. You will be in my heart forever.

mistydap.jpg

MinnieMama2004.jpg

Misty8-2004.jpg

The Dance - Garth Brooks

Looking back on the memory of

The dance we shared beneath the stars above

For a moment all the world was right

How could I have known you'd ever say goodbye

And now I'm glad I didn't know

The way it all would end the way it all would go

Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain

But I'd of had to miss the dance

Holding you I held everything

For a moment wasn't I the king

But if I'd only known how the king would fall

Hey who's to say you know I might have changed it all

And now I'm glad I didn't know

The way it all would end the way it all would go

Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain

But I'd of had to miss the dance

Yes my life is better left to chance

I could have missed the pain but I'd of had to miss the dance

I'm so sorry for your loss, to lose such a dear friend is always so heartwrenching. Hugs to you. ((hug))

I am so sorry. I must say you read about others losses and of course I feel so sad for what they are going thru but this brought me to tears - feeling as if I lived this cushings battle with you and your helping to educate along the way it is a loss for everyone. I am so glad she had you to help her and help others along the way.

Oh Lord, Liz. My heart goes out to you. I know the sorrow.......

And I'm so sad for Misty's baby. I hope he is okay. For our little guy it took a few days before the memories started to fade. It's heartbreaking to watch.

MA

[SIZE=14pt]So very sorry for your loss. She was beautiful![/SIZE]

Lyn

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful little girl........and yes, I too believe they do wait, if they can, for you to be with them.
no.gif

Liz,

I'm so sorry that your sweet old girl has gone, and I hope your sorrow over her loss can quickly ease into the memories of a beautiful life.

I love those lyrics...that is exactly how I feel -- to avoid the pain would mean missing out on all of the joy.

Misty was an incredibly lucky horse to have shared her life with you. I'm so glad that you found each other and had the chance to share such a deep love.

Take care,

susanne

((((HUGS)))) to you and Godspeed to Misty. How lucky she was to spend so many years with someone who truly loved her. May you always remember her special soul.

no.gif
I'm so sorry about the loss of such a dear friend...MY prayers and thoughts go to you and your dear Cody....Thank God you were there to help her cross..I think it's so important for you and your mare that you be together when this happens...She wasn't alone.....{{{{Hugs to you and Cody}}}}}

I am so sorry for your loss and I know her spirit will guide you along forever! jennifer

no.gif
I'm so sorry about the loss of such a dear friend...MY prayers and thoughts go to you and your dear Cody....Thank God you were there to help her cross..I think it's so important for you and your mare that you be together when this happens...She wasn't alone.....{{{{Hugs to you and Cody}}}}}

Liz, I'm so sorry; my condolences to you on your loss.

I'm so glad you were able to be there for her at the end.

Oh, Liz, I am so sorry she is gone!

I know how hard it is to adjust to life without them. You did so wonderfully caring for her and extending her life, filled with love.

She was such a beautiful girl with her starry coat.

There has to be another bright star in the sky, watching over you....

My thoughts are with you and Cody,

Liz M.

I'm so sorry for your loss
sad.gif
Misty was a beautiful mare and I know you loved her very much.

Oh No. I am so sad for you and the loss of your beautiful girl. And I tell you, there is something about those "Just" horses and their eyes with their hearts in them. You can't resist. I am sorry you lost her, but glad she gave you two of her sweet babies.

Oh Liz...I am crying all over again!!! (Had to put my hand over my mouth it's so heartbreaking.) I am so very sorry...you know how I felt about Misty. I think it's a wonderful idea to bring Gracie for Cody soon...he'll feel better about that.

You have taught me so much with Misty and her Cushings experience and I thank you for that. Misty knows she was very well loved and taken care of and I am so glad you were with her when she trotted freely over the Rainbow Bridge...knowing Krystle was waiting for her on the other side. I know you're still hurting, and my wish for you and Cody is that as the days go on, the pain will ease. We'll always remember little Misty girl.....go run free little one....let the wind blow through your mane and your little legs carry you as fast as you can go.

((Hugss)) to you and Cody my dear friend.

Latest posts

Back