Silver bays - Can I see your pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
I have a filly here out of a silver bay sire and a bay dam and I have always thought she was a very red sorrel but her mane is turning more flaxen, and her tail is lightening with a black strip down the middle. She is a pinto so her legs are white all the way up. I'll try to get some pictures on here but having issues right now. I would like to see those pictures if you have them. Thanks!!

My first miniature Mckeever was a silver bay.

McKeeverintheflowers.jpg

Edda.. icelandic foal Silver Bay

Need to take current photos soon. Genetic tested to confirm Silver Bay..but she does fade.

fillyc.jpg

loosing foal coat so just starting to see her charcoal lower legs

Eddapacing16aug09.jpg

Eddawalkaway16aug09.jpg

Thank you ladies. They are both very pretty. My Rosie is very red and always has been. Her mane was really red when she was born but it is starting to turn the same color as her sire's and he is a silver brown/bay. Here he is on the left and Rosie on the right.

levimane.jpg
messyrosie.jpg

Her tail has a black core to it and is surrounded by the red that is turning very light and white. Her sire's tail has alot of black in it as well as silver, white, brown and cream. Levi's tail on the left and Rosie's on the right.

levitail.jpg
rosietail.jpg

Here is Rosie in the summer. She is 1 1/2 years.

rosieruntail.jpg

Do you think she is actually a silver bay? My other sorrels don't have the black in their tails. Just curious if it is worth testing her. Dam was a bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my silver bay pinto colt when he was 4 days old. Although he looked sorrel, I knew he couldn't be because his dam was homozygous for black. He was tested and carries silver - along with the LWO and gray genes from his dam, so he doesn't look like this now.

meetingcowboy2750.jpg

Thank you ladies. They are both very pretty. My Rosie is very red and always has been. Her mane was really red when she was born but it is starting to turn the same color as her sire's and he is a silver brown/bay. Here he is on the left and Rosie on the right.
levimane.jpg
messyrosie.jpg

Her tail has a black core to it and is surrounded by the red that is turning very light and white. Her sire's tail has alot of black in it as well as silver, white, brown and cream. Levi's tail on the left and Rosie's on the right.

levitail.jpg
rosietail.jpg

Here is Rosie in the summer. She is 1 1/2 years.

rosieruntail.jpg

Do you think she is actually a silver bay? My other sorrels don't have the black in their tails. Just curious if it is worth testing her. Dam was a bay.
She honestly looks like a pretty chestnut to me.

Maggie, my mini, is a Medium Liver Chestnut and she has all kinds of mix colors in her mane and tail, including black. Her daughter Theia is a bright Chestnut Tobinao Sabino and because of this she has white in her tail.

Another way to tell if you have a Silver Bay.. is when they are born the skin around their eyes are black and if they are chestnut, they are always a shade of pink.

I have had a number of both Chestnuts and Silver Bays born on my place over the years.

Barnbum, but you can see in your mare.. she has charcoal lower legs.

Best thing to do if anyone is in doubt is have your mare tested paintedmeadows.
default_laugh.png

Okay, so he's not an especially "red" silver bay, but he's a beautiful colour, and I wanted to play!!

8729_137361596882_125179066882_2979386_1507173_n.jpg

Martins Mardi Gras Eligent Man aka "Eli" my Silver Bay ASPC/AMHR(Hardship) Gelding
default_wub.png

clippedeli4.jpg

clippedeli8.jpg

He has small silver hairs in his normal coat and Silver Mane and Tail
default_smile.png

Here's my silver bay roan mare:

Copper.png

And this is her 2008 colt, he's registered as a chestnut, but a few have raised the question as to him possibly being silver bay.. His sire is Parmela's little black stud Buckeroo Merlin..

RoyalD.png

Royal8.png

Here's a beautiful, many time National Champion, umpteen time Grand Champion and Halter Hall of Fame boy that Erica, her cousin, Clem, and myself all share and love:

[SIZE=12pt]Tibb’s Sundowner (HOF), a/k/a Sunny[/SIZE]
1998 AMHR Silver Bay Dun Gelding

Halter Hall of Fame / 3x National Champion / 6x Reserve National Champion / 20x Grand Champion

Grandson of Boones Little Andy -- He's a hoofed teddy bear

SUNNY%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20109.jpg

sunny9-smaller.jpg

sunny1.jpeg

Sunny,%20Bacardi%20and%20DunIT%20--%2011252005%20--%20059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pic of our newest weanling filly, Missy. I posted a color question here a couple of weeks ago and was told she is a silver bay. Her dam is black and her dad is a buckskin pinto:

IMG_2147.jpg

This is a closeup of her mane which has a lot of silver/gray mixed with the flaxen

IMG_2188.jpg

Here's a close up of her face where you can see the dark areas around her eyes

IMG_2183.jpg

And I don't know if this has anything to do with being bay, but I love her striped hooves:

IMG_2218.jpg

Like others have mentioned, she looks like she'll have charcoal legs.

Latest posts

Back