Silver bays - Can I see your pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet again, thank you everyone!! I had thought Rosie was a bright chestnut from the beginning but now am not sure. I don't have very good pictures of her eyes when she was born but the skin looks dark in the pictures that I do have. Do any of your silvers have a dark core or black core to the tail? The center hair on her tail is black-black. My other chestnuts don't have that so was curious about that. I know Dad is a silver for sure so might just have to test her. Thanks for the picture, they are all beautiful!!

Yet again, thank you everyone!! I had thought Rosie was a bright chestnut from the beginning but now am not sure. I don't have very good pictures of her eyes when she was born but the skin looks dark in the pictures that I do have. Do any of your silvers have a dark core or black core to the tail? The center hair on her tail is black-black. My other chestnuts don't have that so was curious about that. I know Dad is a silver for sure so might just have to test her. Thanks for the picture, they are all beautiful!!
The Silver bays I have had, do not have a dark core to their manes and tails.

My Chestnuts however, do have the dark hairs in the mane and tail. Here is a photo of Maggie.. she is a medium liverchestnut and you can see the black in her tail, she also has the same black in her mane. This is normal for many chestnuts. She also has the pangare gene.

Maggieeatingshinygoodjuly06.jpg

The angle of this photo of Theia is horrible... but you can see her tail. She is TS chestnut but she does have dark hairs in the center of her tail... she is geneticly chestnut.

theiaafterbath1july06.jpg

The skin eye color only holds true from a couple of hours to a couple of days after birth, depending on each horse's genetics. After that the skin will be black around the eye. Both my Chestnuts do have black skin around their eyes.

Do you have photos of her say within two hours of birth?

Edda's sire is Silver Bay and her Dam Bay, like yours. Edda turned out Silver Bay but the colt from the same sire turned out to be Chestnut, no hidden silver.

UC Davis does genetic testing and I think that is a good thing to do.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Here she is at about 1 hour old. Hard to tell in the picture.

rosie1hour.jpg
default_wub.png

I don't really care what she color she is either way as she is my favourite girl no matter what but some people raised questions so thought it might be neat to see what others think. I just love my Rose Petal!!
default_wub.png

[SIZE=10pt]Here's a picture of a filly whose sire is homozygous black, and dam carrying the silver dilution gene. As a weanling, she looked palomino, had striped hooves...............and as a yearling her legs were much darker, but coat very light. We had her color tested - she was heterogygous for both silver and black. That silver dilution gene can really produce some interesting color variations![/SIZE]

Silkybackprofile.jpg

Silkyyearling.jpg

I know exactly what you're talking about.

My red headed mare was/is registered as a palomino until I send her papers in for correction.

But she looks like a silver bay. Although she does not have the graying to her legs.

She has the black core to her tail and black in her mane.

She has heavy nutrition dapples but the weird thing is, to me, she looks like

you are looking at her thru a piece of black lace. She has a strong black

cast to her coat. I can't get a photo to display what I and others see in person.

She is out of a black bay sire and a seal brown mare.

I recently had her color tested at UCDavis and she came back dominate for red.

I've no explanation for the black in her mane and tail or cast to her coat but she's

a red head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly what you're talking about. My red headed mare was/is registered as a palomino until I send her papers in for correction.

But she looks like a silver bay. Although she does not have the graying to her legs.

She has the black core to her tail and black in her mane.

She has heavy nutrition dapples but the weird thing is, to me, she looks like

you are looking at her thru a piece of black lace. She has a strong black

cast to her coat. I can't get a photo to display what I and others see in person.

She is out of a black bay sire and a seal brown mare.

I recently had her color tested at UCDavis and she came back dominate for red.

I've no explanation for the black in her mane and tail or cast to her coat but she's

a red head.
This is very common in Liver Chestnuts.
default_wink.png

Shari,

I thought of liver chestnut but to me, coming from a big horse background, I've never

seen one that, also, is so red.....Full size horses I've seen have a different tone/shade

to their basic body color.

Zoe looks red just has that black cast.

But I could go with liver chestnut easier than just sorrel/chestnut.

Nancy, can I see a picture of your Zoe? Is she colored like my Rose Petal? Mostly I am curious about her black core in her tail. She is so RED too. I would love to see your girl.

Ronda,

Here are two photos of Zoe from 2 years ago. The black tone just doesn't show up in photos.

I'd take a photo of now but it's pouring out and mud colored isn't the color you're

looking for, I don't think :) Her color has darkened as she has aged.

All her kids are red heads, either solid as she is or pinto out of a red and white pinto dad.

I'll post another that shows her a few years ago.

Don't know if these help or not.

Zoolii2weeks.jpg

ZooliiDay2tail.jpg

She is 4 in this photo and pregnant - but you can kind of see the black in her tail.

It is MUCH blacker now.

Day312.jpg

Latest posts

Back