Sick parrot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
My husband has the flu! the grand kids were here this weekend becuase their Dad was in the hospital and my Grand son wasn't feeling well. Now hubby has the flu. Fever, dizzy, and in bed. I am doing all the horse chores, and heaven help me if I get sick. My African Grey "Oscar" has not spoken a word all day. I went to check on my little grey guy and he had his feathers all fluffed up and had his little head tucked under his wing. I know it is cold, and we have both wood stoves going so it isn't that cold in here. Do you guys think he could have gotten the flu too. Or am I worrying over nothing?
default_no.gif

The only thing I could think about fluffed feathers yes cold.

Parrot care -

When dealing with an injured or an unhealthy bird,

1.Heat

Heat is the first element to be regarded, as the best temperature for a bird is at at least 85 degrees, and 90 degrees is preferable. Parrots use most of their metabolic resources and energy for keeping a body temperature at around 104 degrees. That is why, when caring for a sick bird, you should turn up the heat past 85 and when the bird shows signs of recovery, lower the heat gradually, about 5 degrees per day, before reaching room temperature again. At 85 degrees the parrot should begin to pant, and by slowly turning the heat off, the panting should stop. So, to sum it up, the main idea is to artificially maintain a high temperature, for the bird to be able to concentrate its energy mostly for fighting the illness.

It is very possible. When I took my parakeet to the vet the first question he asked was if anyone in the house had been sick. No one had, so we had to look at other things, but birds can go downhill very quickly. I would at least talk to a vet to make sure your bird stays healthy. L

I would get a heat lamp and put it in a corner of the cage. We did that for our Amazon and because it was in a corner he had the ability to control his heat; he could move closer/sit directly under the lamp if needed or move to the cool side of the cage (opposite corner) and cool down. Just make sure its not too hot and there is a "cool side"
default_smile.png
I hope he feels better soon!

I would definitely put a heat lamp in his cage and talk to a vet that deals with birds. They can go down hill very quick, as someone already pointed out. I worked at a pet store for years and dealt with alot of birds.

Yes that is a sign he is cold. We lost my mom's bird one winter when our power went out. We kept the bird wrapped up and underneath our clothing! He got very sick and we gave him drops but they fail rapidly so don't wait on getting him warm as can be at all costs. Keep him away from windows and doors especially so there are no drafts. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for all.

I would suggest finding an Avian vet ASAP. Once birds start to show signs of illness they can go down very quickly. Remember they are a prey animal and are genetically programed to not look or act weak or sick, (since those are the first that predators take)

As others said keep him warm and draft free (a small covered dog crate perhaps) Make sure he is staying well hydrated until you can get him to a vet.

How is he doing this morning, hope he is OK and do you think a vet call might help also.

An update on Oscar, sorry I didn't have time until now, very busy with all the horse chores & sick hubby. Got into a new Vet today, our old exotic Vet was an hour and a half away, with good traffic. New exotic clinic only 40 minutes away. I liked her a lot. She cut his toe nail short and drew blood, said she should have the results Fri. She couldn't find anything amiss, but I need to watch him since sometimes a virus can infect the parrot from the human. Any way he is no longer chilled and eating all day. Then this evening after being quite all day he started whistling, and chatting again.
default_aktion033.gif
I haven't heard him yell "Mommy" all day so maybe that will be next. He is making sounds like the microwave beeping. Thank you all for your comfort and comments. Terry
default_saludando.gif

An update on Oscar, sorry I didn't have time until now, very busy with all the horse chores & sick hubby. Got into a new Vet today, our old exotic Vet was an hour and a half away, with good traffic. New exotic clinic only 40 minutes away. I liked her a lot. She cut his toe nail short and drew blood, said she should have the results Fri. She couldn't find anything amiss, but I need to watch him since sometimes a virus can infect the parrot from the human. Any way he is no longer chilled and eating all day. Then this evening after being quite all day he started whistling, and chatting again.
default_aktion033.gif
I haven't heard him yell "Mommy" all day so maybe that will be next. He is making sounds like the microwave beeping. Thank you all for your comfort and comments. Terry
default_saludando.gif
WONDERFUL NEWS, THANKS for the update..

Back